Calipari doesn't quell St. John's rumor

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Calipari doesn't quell St. John's rumor

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:26 pm

TIGER NOTES
March 19, 2004
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - John Calipari to St. John's is a hot topic in Kansas City. Pressed on the matter by a reporter from a New York paper at Thursday's media session, the University of Memphis coach played down the possibility that he would take the job, but declined to put the rumor to rest.
''Every year I coach I'm rumored to get different jobs from junior college, AAU, college and pro . . . there's some high school jobs in the city of Memphis I'm involved in right now,'' Calipari joked. ''So I just let people talk and go do my job.''
Seconds later, Calipari was given the opportunity to end the rumor, but declined to do so. Asked if he was interested in St. John's, Calipari offered only a qualified statement.

''Not at this point, no,'' he answered. ''I'm interested in just coaching my basketball team and advancing in this NCAA Tournament.''

MrMiagi

Re: Calipari doesn't quell St. John's rumor

Post by MrMiagi » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:20 pm

Memphis down 41-19 at halftime. I guess that's why they pay Cal over a million per year. 1 NCAA Tournament win in 4 years, I'm impressed.

Sir Seretse Khama
Sophomore

Post by Sir Seretse Khama » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:48 pm

MrMiagi wrote:Memphis down 41-19 at halftime. I guess that's why they pay Cal over a million per year. 1 NCAA Tournament win in 4 years, I'm impressed.
And Nova is seeded where in the tournament? Your second rate Catholic school is a pimple on the ass of the Big East. Before you start cracking comments on Cal see if your poerhouse can make a big dance first......and then hope you don't end up facing Memphis.

Old Prospector
Junior

Post by Old Prospector » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:03 pm

MrMiagi wrote:Memphis down 41-19 at halftime. I guess that's why they pay Cal over a million per year. 1 NCAA Tournament win in 4 years, I'm impressed.
Which is better than both Villanova and Umass combined during this same period.

For the record: "The Wildcats were 2-4 in the NCAA tournament under
Lappas, losing three straight years in the first or second round as Nos.
3, 3 and 4 seeds." Meanwhile Cal has a Sweet Sixteen, a Great Eight, and a Final Four. Even with today's loss, he's matched THE BEST Lappas has ever done in the NCAAs.

Please tell us that Lappas is as good a coach as Calipari so we can see how truly stupid you really are.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:29 pm

And Steve Lappas has what? Two wins in his ENTIRE career? Correct me if I'm wrong but Steve Lappas has never even made the Sweet 16, has he?

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:16 pm

Miagi- You're not going to help win support for Lappas here by attacking Calipari or antagonizing people about unrelated issues like Briggs. In fact, you probably are having the reverse effect.

bdweller
Freshman

Post by bdweller » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:29 pm

Cal made the final four?

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:11 pm

Eddie Sutton has long been a nemisis for St. John Calipari. Picking this game was about as easy as it gets. Martelli will show Cal how to drop the cowboys when St. Joe's takes them out.

Go Illini! F dook.

Hoops411
Junior

Post by Hoops411 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:52 pm

You should be impressed, since we haven't seen the tourney since bruiser. Why would you attack one of the best coaches in the country. I think by the end of his career Coach Cal will be up there with Eddie Sutton and Jim Calhoun. He'll be in the hall of fame if he sticks with college ball for some years.
Just as we do the lord
WE BELIEVE IN FORD!!!

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:50 pm

Miagi: do you see why you should just go away?

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:58 pm

The amazing thing is that as a strictly Lappas supporter Miagi can take shots at coaches who have had more success than Lappas and/or coaches that have had more success than Lappas at the same school at which Lappas is currently employed. Miagi, you're either incredibly brazen or the stupidest mofo alive. You know where my guess is.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:29 am

Ignore Miagi. He is not worth the energy even to tell him to bugger off. He is stupid enough to stick around a place when he is obviously not wanted. Don't feed his ego or his stupidity with replies. Ignore him.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:47 am

MikeUMA wrote:Miagi: do you see why you should just go away?
If only someone had the power to make that happen...
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:10 pm

Hate to agree..... But Miagi, and everyone else who thrives on negativity. Your time has passed!

RTL
Sophomore

Post by RTL » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:57 pm

What do I know, after-all I would have bet the mortgage that Lappas was gone.

But, I believe Calipari will be the next St. John's coach. I hear they want a more accomplished coach than Bobby Gonzalez, and I hear Calipari is interested.

With Conference USA losing all of it's top teams to the Big East and A-10, Memphis is left in a thouroughly watered down conference. Also, when Cal took that job, he was the only show in town. Now, Jerry West has the Grizzlies pointed in the right direction, and H. Brown has them playing some good ball. It's just a matter of time before the Grizzlies start eating into the Memphis pie. (probably has already begun).

I think Cal would like to move on as Memphis doesn't provide him with the same potential it did 3 years ago.

It would be fun to have a team in the Big East to pull for. I've never been a big St. Johns fan, but I'd be willing to make an exception for our very own "Saint John".

Be nice to finally see Calipari and Calhoun get it on!!!!

I hope it happens. It would be good for college basketball.
"Refuse To Lose"