Calipari doesn't quell St. John's rumor

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
chuff
Senior

Post by chuff » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:25 pm

RTL wrote:What do I know, after-all I would have bet the mortgage that Lappas was gone.

But, I believe Calipari will be the next St. John's coach. I hear they want a more accomplished coach than Bobby Gonzalez, and I hear Calipari is interested.
I'm not a big fan of the NY Post and Vaccaro, but he doesn't see Calipari at St. John's. Also some interesting comments comparing St. Joe's to St. Johns.

"Here's the problem," a college basketball guy I know and trust told me yesterday. "That's exactly who St. John's should be modeling itself after. It's a perfect alignment. Both schools have terrific history. Both have communities that support basketball like crazy. Both honestly want to do things the right way. But I get the sense that St. John's . . . well, they think they should have a more big-time role model than Saint Joe's. The way they talk, they think they're closer to the Kentuckys and Carolinas of the world - which is just crazy."

The rest is at http://www.nypost.com/sports/17236.htm

RTL
Sophomore

Post by RTL » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:37 pm

Is he nuts???!!!

With all due respect to St. Joes, they are not St. Johns and they do not have the same history, and the model IS completely different.

St. Johns "has, does, will always" have the potential of filling Madison Square Garden!!!

St. Johns "has, does, will always" have the potential of getting 7 or 8 nationally televised regular season games per year.

I'm not going to knock St. Joes because I love the story, the school, Martelli, etc. etc., but to compare them to St. Johns is like comparing UMass to U Florida.
"Refuse To Lose"

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:37 pm

RTL wrote:What do I know, after-all I would have bet the mortgage that Lappas was gone.

It would be fun to have a team in the Big East to pull for. I've never been a big St. Johns fan, but I'd be willing to make an exception for our very own "Saint John".

Be nice to finally see Calipari and Calhoun get it on!!!!

I hope it happens. It would be good for college basketball.
I would rather hope the A10 boot out Fordham and invite Memphis. Root for a Big East team? Never.

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:00 pm

St John's is not a good job anymore. First off, it's a glorified commuter school with horrible facilities. In today's world of athletics when football school's have state of the art everything for their athletes, St John's brings nothing to the table. The place is a total dump compared to most school's, there's no incentive to stay there any longer than you have to.

A lot of scum resides in NYC as well, you can't be solid player at St John's without having every leach in the city giving you things, telling you things, and trying to get you to go pro.

St John's will never have the program they used to. Never ever ever ever ever again.

I hope Calipari goes to St John's. It will be no different than Memphis. Half the guys he focuses on will never step foot on campus and if he ever lands a stud they will leave after one year. His teams will be much like his Memphis teams. Not that talented, boring to watch, win enough games to maybe make the dance, but aren't going anywhere. He'll get bored after a while and bail like he always does.

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:56 pm

First it knows every thing about Lappas, then it knows about Cal and now it knows everything. The Master needs to squash it.
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!

Old Prospector
Junior

Post by Old Prospector » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:09 pm

obg wrote:First it knows every thing about Lappas, then it knows about Cal and now it knows everything. The Master needs to squash it.
Oh man, Amen.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:34 pm

MrMiagi wrote:St John's is not a good job anymore. First off, it's a glorified commuter school with horrible facilities. In today's world of athletics when football school's have state of the art everything for their athletes, St John's brings nothing to the table. The place is a total dump compared to most school's, there's no incentive to stay there any longer than you have to.

A lot of scum resides in NYC as well, you can't be solid player at St John's without having every leach in the city giving you things, telling you things, and trying to get you to go pro.

St John's will never have the program they used to. Never ever ever ever ever again.

I hope Calipari goes to St John's. It will be no different than Memphis. Half the guys he focuses on will never step foot on campus and if he ever lands a stud they will leave after one year. His teams will be much like his Memphis teams. Not that talented, boring to watch, win enough games to maybe make the dance, but aren't going anywhere. He'll get bored after a while and bail like he always does.
Mike, do us all a favor and pull the trigger on this a$$. He's worn out his welcome.
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:49 pm

I just finished reading Refuse To Lose (got it new on amazon.com for $9.75). Calipari likes the term "Unacceptable" which I am sure he would be saying all the time at St John's wheras the Memphis Boosters would give him a gold plated seat on his crapper. I thought the book was a good look at what happened at Umass in the "Golden Years". Knowing Calipari turned his days at Umass into a $15 million NBA payday is a prism through which the contents of the book must be viewed. However I was suprised he termed some players education level as "remedial" and admitted players partied all night before NCAA games. He also lowered the boom on Lou Roe for not focusing on the Tournament and being more concerned with agents. I ran into Lou at The 4's bar across from the Fleet Center just after the 1995 NCAA and he was walking around like he was LeBron James. Ironically David Wesley was there also and no one even looked at him as Lou was King. Wesley has probably grossed 50 times what Lou has in "The Association". If you haven't read Refuse to Lose I would definitely pick it up. Some of the points Cal makes about the disarray of the McLaughlin and Gerlufsen regimes are embellished ( I was there 81-84) but it brought back many great memories.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:31 pm

MrMiagi wrote:St John's is not a good job anymore. First off, it's a glorified commuter school with horrible facilities. In today's world of athletics when football school's have state of the art everything for their athletes, St John's brings nothing to the table. The place is a total dump compared to most school's, there's no incentive to stay there any longer than you have to.

Where do you come up with this drivel? Calipari inherited a team, at Memphis, that had an almost identical three year record prior to his arrival as UMass had prior to Lappas'. Calipari has been in post-season play all four years, including an NIT championship and two NCAA tournaments. He has amassed half as many NCAA wins in those four years as Lappas has in his entire 16 year career. Yet you trash Calipari and are endlessly singing the praises of Lappas. Lappas hasn't even managed a winning record let alone post-season play in his years at UMass.

As for boring play and players leaving - you really need to get off the crack pipe. Lappas had more players leave in two years than Calipari has in four. The biggest difference between Calipari and Lappas is that Calipari can actually teach players to play basketball. Lappas has NEVER demonstrated that particular coaching quality.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:00 pm

87 is it possible for you to make a point without shit talking the UMass program and turning ever damned thread into a restatement on your opinion of Coach Lappas?

fyi: I happen to basically agree with you on Calipari.

St. John's happens to be an excellent university, a superb academic institution and the basketball facilities issue is currently being addressed. I have immense respect for the tough line St. John's took on player misbehavior this season.

Friggin' hilarious to see someone from the cesspool known as philly to pretend to have any moral authority with respect to relative per capita scum content. philly is scum central.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:15 pm

Hey Miagi-
Comparing Calipari to Lappas is much like comparing Bill Russell to Hank Finkel.

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:38 pm

Or comparing Dennis Erickson with any college football coach that left their program without the NCAA breathing down their neck.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:50 pm

obg wrote:First it knows every thing about Lappas, then it knows about Cal and now it knows everything. The Master needs to squash it.
Mike, methinks you have to tell it to PUT THE LOTION IN THE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN!!!

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:52 pm

Voxpop,

Philly scum is poor scum. You think a player like Jameer Nelson would have lasted 4 years in the city of New York. Ok buddy.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:44 pm

Can the Philly scum please leave this board. And I'm not talking about Jameer Nelson.