Now that it's done

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
deke
Junior

Now that it's done

Post by deke » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:03 pm

I STILL don't think this decision by the university should be taken out on the kids who leave their sweat on the floor of the Mullins Center.

Come to the games. Support the players. Hope for better results.
Face it, we're UMass lifers through good times and bad.

I hope to meet more of you at The Bill next season.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:08 pm

I will not pay a penny to attend one game next year. Sorry Deke. Nothing against the kids, but this man has single-handedly turned UMass basketball into a national laughinstock and I will not support him.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Sir Seretse Khama
Sophomore

Post by Sir Seretse Khama » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:08 pm

I swear if one kid transfers out of here, or I see more of the same bullshit OOC games, or hear one more "we don't have long arms" excuse, or...... screw it. Pathetic, simply pathetic. McCutcheon will now get another email from me.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:12 pm

I will not go to any more games, I will not support this team, and I'm tempted not to support this university.

I am deeply ashamed to be a UMass alum right now.
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Re: Now that it's done

Post by Used to be VOR » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:12 pm

deke wrote:I STILL don't think this decision by the university should be taken out on the kids who leave their sweat on the floor of the Mullins Center.

Come to the games. Support the players. Hope for better results.
Face it, we're UMass lifers through good times and bad.

I hope to meet more of you at The Bill next season.

Great post.

I hope that people will remember the definition of a fan.

From Websters:

fan n. An ardent devotee; an enthusiast.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:12 pm

Given that part of Lappas' compensation will be tied to attendence, going to a game is an endorsement of this decision whether it is intended to be or not. I personally think that the best UMass fans are the ones who will sacrifice something they love, attending UMass basketball games, to protest this idiotic decision. UMass has announced in no uncertain terms that they have quit on the fans, fans should feel NO guilt and make NO apologies for quitting on UMass.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:13 pm

Used to be VOR wrote: Great post.

I hope that people will remember the definition of a fan.

From Websters:

Sadly, they wont
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:14 pm

I watched the Gurlefson teams and I will watch the Lappas teams!

I do not agree but I will still support them.

I think most of you here a probably Red Sox Fans just think of Umass like you think off them $%&#$^*&%$%.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:16 pm

Used to be VOR wrote: From Websters:

Don't make me look up the definitions of coach, effort, program, offense, defense, or success.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:18 pm

I have made a personal vow not to respond to certain infammatory posters, and I plan to stick to that. All I know is that if things do turn around next year (not saying they will) I will be happy that I stayed a fan. Just as many old-timers feel good about riding out the 80's for the prize at the end of the rainbow.

"Water tastes the sweetest when you let yourself be truly thirsty."

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:21 pm

DS Bruce Robertson wrote:Given that part of Lappas' compensation will be tied to attendence, going to a game is an endorsement of this decision whether it is intended to be or not. I personally think that the best UMass fans are the ones who will sacrifice something they love, attending UMass basketball games, to protest this idiotic decision. UMass has announced in no uncertain terms that they have quit on the fans, fans should feel NO guilt and make NO apologies for quitting on UMass.
You do not own the market on being a good UMass fan and I will feel NO guilt and make NO apologies for continuing to support UMass.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:23 pm

Used to be VOR wrote:I have made a personal vow not to respond to certain infammatory posters, and I plan to stick to that. All I know is that if things do turn around next year (not saying they will) I will be happy that I stayed a fan. Just as many old-timers feel good about riding out the 80's for the prize at the end of the rainbow.

"Water tastes the sweetest when you let yourself be truly thirsty."
And what will you do after the first loss to an America East team? Will you still be happy with the decision to retain Lappas? I am sure that you and a few others on this board will be thrilled with a .500 or almost .500 season next year.

I can see why they made the decision though. Lappas has shown great progress in the last three years -- 16 losses, 18 losses and 19 losses (thanks to Rocks 22).

tommyboy
Freshman

Post by tommyboy » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:23 pm

I would hope the renegotiated contract includes that his return is predicated on making the NCAA tournament next year to ensure that we do not have an out of conference schedule filled with teams having pathetic RPI ratings. Simply having a total win number does not cut it. UMASS has gone too long without being in the NCAA and setting our hopes on the NIT for next year is setting the bar too low.

twisters tavern
Junior

Post by twisters tavern » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:24 pm

Things will turn around next year.

The OOC schedule also loooks to include St. Agnes Geriatric Ward of Easthampton, Pittsfield Gifted School for the Blind, and Amherst Regional High School, all of which are 6.5 point favorites in Vegas.

Pathetic.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:28 pm

I heard both Williams and Amherst offered to play U of M, but Lap turned down the deal because he feared the best the team could do was split with those teams.