Lappas stays

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:02 pm

"At UMass we firmly believe that excuses are more important that excellence, and to prove how committed we are to that ideal, we'd like to announce that Steve Lappas will return as coach of the UMass mens basketball team. This decision to reward Coach Lappas for his sub-standard performance in his three years of futility demonstrates conclusively that it is a priority of this administration to declare to current, former and prospective students that failure is an option at the University of Massachusetts."

You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

km109
Senior

Goals

Post by km109 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:03 pm

If there are goals, one of them has to be attendance. A good record on a pathetic schedule is meaningless, it won't stop the financial problem the past three years have created. One break on attendance is that we get BC and UConn at home, but there has to be a more attractive slate of opponents than this year to draw people back. With two solid games on the books, 1,800-2,000 more in the seats, at least half non-students, seems like a fair target.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:04 pm

fbiman wrote:Can anyone post McCutcheon's email address?
Assuming you're going to react to the decision, maybe you should wait until it's confirmed in the legit media or announced officially.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:04 pm

Why the hell are people putting any stock in what this guy says??? He posted after the Rhody game that Lappas knew the school was unhappy and that he'd probably take a deal and resign. Now he claims that he knows that Lappas is coming back?? And all of you are believing him????

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:05 pm

jmccutch@admin.umass.edu

Include Chancellor Lombardi as well:

lombardi@umass.edu
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:07 pm

Some of you guys might want to send emails to these two as well.....

turkey.lurkey@barnyard.com

hennypenny@chickencoop.com

Make sure you tell them Chicken Little sent you.

Jeez. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:08 pm

MikeUMA wrote:
fbiman wrote:Can anyone post McCutcheon's email address?
Assuming you're going to react to the decision, maybe you should wait until it's confirmed in the legit media or announced officially.
Fair enough Mike, but even though we have yet to hear it from a credible source, I have this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that he'll be back.

And if he's back, I am going to write McCutcheon the nastiest letter, full of fire and brimstone, stating my displeasure.

So be sure to post the address the minute we hear the news of Lappas staying.
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:09 pm

I hope people who understand how terrible another year of the Lappas experiment would be for UMass send a note to the AD and the Chancellor. You don't have to wait until a decision is announced. In fact, you probably shouldn't.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:12 pm

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:15 pm

Mike, PM me if you want to discuss things off topic.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:44 pm

I sent my emails two weeks ago. I know many others did. If Lappas stays it means that they took none of these emails into account. The other thing that kind of bugs me is that there was no response from McCutcheon. I know he just started his job, but even a form response would have been nice.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:48 pm

twisters tavern wrote:If this is an accurate report, I can't wait to see the out of conference schedule :shock: I know I will line up for tickets to see us play Bridgewater State, Alaska A&M, and Barbizon School of Beauty. Lappas will need wins and a win is a win.

If this is true, this is pathetic.
Springfield Commerce would kick UMass' ass!! :roll: :shock:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

deke
Junior

Re: Lappas stays

Post by deke » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:49 pm

TheInsider wrote:here it is.. what we've all been waiting for... the Steve Lappas experiment will last atleast one more year.. word is he made a one year deal with a pay cut and some goals to meet.. if the goals aren't met.. he walks.
If this is true, his agent performs worse at the bargaining table than he does on the sideline.

He's going to rip up a contract that is guaranteed to pay him nearly $600k over the next two years, and instead go for a one-year deal for less money? AND offer to walk away if performance goals are not met?

I know he believes in this team and how much better they can be next season, but that would be the most ridiculous renegotiation I've ever seen.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:51 pm

I would wait and see something official before reacting too heavily.

Oh wait...nevermind..I forgot where I was for a second.

RANT ON!

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Re: Lappas stays

Post by Used to be VOR » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:54 pm

deke wrote: He's going to rip up a contract that is guaranteed to pay him nearly $600k over the next two years, and instead go for a one-year deal for less money? AND offer to walk away if performance goals are not met?

I know he believes in this team and how much better they can be next season, but that would be the most ridiculous renegotiation I've ever seen.
One criticism of Lappas I have never been able to defend against is the attendance argument. Maybe this is his way of saying he understands that part of the equation, and is his attempt to stand up to it.

I think, IF it is true, that at least he is putting his money where his mouth is. And as bad as it would be, if things go south early next year, they need to move quickly... or else recruiting could suffer.