Any WMass players with D. 1/UMass potential?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
LS71
Hall of Fame

Any WMass players with D. 1/UMass potential?

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:28 am

Will Dawkins of Springfield Commerce wrote:Bringing the state title to Western Massachusetts three years in a row is a shout out to recruiters

This quote from the article makes me wonder....what do recruiters think of the talent in WMass? Are there any Division 1/UMass prospects playing locally?

When UMass made its run to the Final Four, WMass players made a contirbution.
Last edited by LS71 on Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:33 am

I can remember Derek Kellogg and Ross Burns from that era. Anybody I'm forgetting?

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:35 am

Sedale Jones at Pittsfield High is a Soph guard who has D-1 potential. He needs to get stronger but at about 6'2" and growing he can shoot it from VERY long range and throw it down with some authority. He hasn't played AAU ball yet and is not going to this summer. He is going to spend the summer lifting weights (he plays football also). Therefore he is under the radar for now. We should at least take a serious look (maybe we have?) since he's right in our backyard.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:36 am

There are no local prospects that UMass is looking at that I know of.

In terms of WMass talent:
Last year you had Cathedral's Pat Martin heading to BU. Mike Vaz was good, but he's currently enrolled at UMass hoping to play football (maybe he'll walk on to hoops next year?) There wasn't a lot of mid to high D1 talent in WMass (that I can think of, DirSport or Delkins please step in).

This year you have Coblyn, heading to BU. The star from Commerce who's name escapes me is good, but he might lack the size to play at a competitive DI school.

There's some good young players out in the Berkshires. None are seniors though.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:42 am

MikeUMA wrote:I can remember Derek Kellogg and Ross Burns from that era. Anybody I'm forgetting?
The Padilla brothers, Edgar and Giddell.
Rocks22 wrote: The star from Commerce who's name escapes me is good, but he might lack the size to play at a competitive DI school.
Could it be Will Dawkins?

What about Yusuf Abdul-Ali, the guard from New Leadership? The teams from the charter schools, Sabis and New Leadership were pretty good this year. I think Central had some decent talent too, but the kids' names escape me.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:55 am

I saw Abdul-Ali in the WMass final. Great player, but I don't think he'd be able to make a significant contribution at UMass. It's tough to tell though. I have a tough time guaging players depending on the competition they're going up against.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:59 pm

LS71 wrote:The Padilla brothers, Edgar and Giddell.
I'm thinking about natives WMass'ers. The Padillas only went to HS in Springfield for a little while.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:05 pm

There was this one kid, Travis something. I think he was pretty good. 8)

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:34 pm

MikeUMA wrote:
LS71 wrote:The Padilla brothers, Edgar and Giddell.
I'm thinking about natives WMass'ers. The Padillas only went to HS in Springfield for a little while.
You're right about them not being WMass natives but I believe they spent their entire high school careers at Springfield Central High School.

Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf
Sophomore
Location: I am at the side of almighty leader Steve Lappas. Where else would I be?

Post by Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:04 pm

It is BEST if you remember Travis. Even I have heard of him.
Steve Lappas is the mightiest coach of all time!!! Death to all Anti-Lappas Spin Merchants who cannot see his greatness!!!!!!

unionyes
Freshman

Post by unionyes » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:21 pm

Kevin Freeman, who starred at UConn and was rumored to have been oh-so-close to transferring to UMass (might that not have altered Bruiser's fate here?) played at Cathedral before going to another school his senior year, Patterson Catholic or some such powerhouse.

sunbeltt2

Post by sunbeltt2 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:28 pm

Watch Mike Culpo from St joseph's of Pittsfield. He started as a freshman this year. I think he may be the brother of former staff assistant Paul Culpo. Anyway, he may get to this level.

Hoops411
Junior

Post by Hoops411 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:31 pm

unionyes wrote:Kevin Freeman, who starred at UConn and was rumored to have been oh-so-close to transferring to UMass (might that not have altered Bruiser's fate here?) played at Cathedral before going to another school his senior year, Patterson Catholic or some such powerhouse.
Nah, he went to Longmeadow High. His name is on the wall there for 1,000 point scorers. Other than those guys you named, I can't think of any others going D1. There is a freshman though for South Hadley who I saw in the western mass finals and I think he is incredible. Quickest freshman I've ever seen. Don't know the name though, but I could definetly see him going D1.
Just as we do the lord
WE BELIEVE IN FORD!!!

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:36 pm

I want to say his name is Gardner, but I can't remember. But yes, he looked very good against Greenfield. It'll be interesting to see if he stays at South Hadley or looks to prep school somewhere.

unionyes
Freshman

Post by unionyes » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:04 pm

Hoops, thanks for the correction about Freeman. I saw him play in the WMass tourney, I think against Holyoke, and do recall now that he did so as a Lancer.