Any WMass players with D. 1/UMass potential?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
nthyeargrad
Freshman

Two others

Post by nthyeargrad » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:46 pm

Marc Donahue of Greenfield who eventually transfers to UMass.

Harrington from Pioneer Regional High School originally went to NC State and ended up at Georgia Tech ???? is that correct or Auburn?

greno
Freshman

Harrington

Post by greno » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:13 pm

Adam Harrington went to NC State and then transferred to Auburn. After watching him progress through the years, I would guess that he has an incredibly high opinion of himself. He was getting good PT on an NC State squad with potential and left becuase I think he was afraid he wouldn't be the "man" with Julius Hodge around. Transfers to Auburn and leaves early for the NBA draft! It's not like he was tearing up the SEC. I don't know if he was drafted, but ended up on the Mavericks' bench somehow. As far as I know, he's no longer in the league. Shocking. Way to leverage your talents and get a degree. Maybe he did actually get a degree, but everything in the kid's history would point to him being a head case.

DirSport
Junior

Post by DirSport » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:30 pm

Phil Gardner is the South Hadley HS freshman you're thinking of. I have heard he's a School Choice kid from Chicopee. Still very young, but plenty of ability.

unionyes
Freshman

Post by unionyes » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:07 pm

Mark Hall from Commerce, and Ricky Wallace before him, from Tech(?), both played at Minnesota, in the early 70's.

Hoops411
Junior

Post by Hoops411 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:12 pm

Harrington did not get drafted, the Mavs signed him after the draft. The funny thing is, he entered the draft in his junior year after starting 5 games all season!! Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I'm almost positive that was the case.
Just as we do the lord
WE BELIEVE IN FORD!!!

ODog
Freshman

WMass Players since '90 who went D1

Post by ODog » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:43 pm

Here's a list of the D1 players that WMass has produced since 1990 (playing HS ball in WMass and any stint on a D1 NCAA team counts for my purposes). I'm sure I might miss a few, but this should be pretty comprehensive since there's not a whole lot to remember:
Gidell Padilla (UNLV/UMass)
Travis Best (Georgia Tech)
Derek Kellogg (UMass)
Edgar Padilla (UMass)
Desi Jackson (Morgan St./Central Connecticut)
Ross Burns (UMass)
Angelo Thomas (Maine)
Larry Gilbert (Bethune-Cookman)
Kevin Freeman (UConn)
Jay Heaps (Duke)
Adam Harrington (NC St./Auburn)
Mike Martin (Brown)
Sean Neal (La Salle)
Pat Martin (BU)
Ben Coblyn (signed with BU for upcoming season)

Damn that's a short list: 15 in 15 seasons! I hope to God I'm leaving someone out, but I went pretty obscure and I also included 2 walk-ons. I hope someone can think of more but I'm pretty sure that's it. Many others had enough talent but either didn't pan out altogether, or went D2/D3.

Incidentally, South Hadley's star freshman is Phil Gardner. He started off at Chicopee High and is about 16-17 already. I've heard he'll be done playing after his junior year because of eligibility. At this time, there's no way he's a D1 prospect, though he is good for this area and damn fun to watch.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:57 pm

Vinnie Delnegro, played for NC State, late '80's?.

Chris Bailey-UMass late '80's

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:58 pm

Justin Rowe played for Maine.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:14 pm

I might be wrong here, but isn't Chris Corchiani(NC State) from Springfield?
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

nthyeargrad
Freshman

Jay Heaps

Post by nthyeargrad » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:58 pm

Jay played basketball for Duke? I know he played soccer and is currently playing soccer for the Revolution and was MLS rookie of the year, but he played basketball at Duke also?

ODog
Freshman

Heaps, Corchiani

Post by ODog » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:56 pm

Heaps walked on. They needed some players in an injury-plagued season and he ended up playing at least 2 seasons with the hoop team, even as he also earned National Player of the Year honors in soccer.

Corchiani's from Miami I believe, but definitely not from Springfield.

greno
Freshman

Post by greno » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:24 pm

I thought that Nick Stafford who went to Worcester Academy was from the Springfield area. He's at Dayton now. If you expanded your list to include all MA players it increases quite a bit. You'd then have the following to name a few;

Hasan Fofana - Maryland
Obena Ekezie - Maryland
Bill Curley - BC
Steve Hailey - BC
Neil Fingleton - UNC/HC
Scott Hazelton - UConn/URI
Grocholwolski - BU
Sam Kaplan - Yale
Mike Moore - Youngstown St.
Mike Bradley - Kentucky/Villanova

I'm thinking of mainly Central MA players, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:13 pm

greno, Dwayne McLain from Holy Name went to Villanova. A while back when Nova beat G'Town for the National championship. One of the greatest championship games ever.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:19 pm

Where'd that little point guard from Amherst from a couple years ago end up?

URI's Abdul Fox did a PG year at The Berkshire School.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

greno
Freshman

Post by greno » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:24 pm

Floyd wrote:greno, Dwayne McLain from Holy Name went to Villanova. A while back when Nova beat G'Town for the National championship. One of the greatest championship games ever.
UHHH, thanks. I knew that, but I thought we were just talking the 90's. If we get into the 80's then we can talk about McClain playing Pat Ewing's Cambridge Rindge and Latin team in the state finals. Matt Palazzi from St. John's went on to Providence and played for Pitino. The list could go on and on.