Press Conference Monday

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
chuff
Senior

Press Conference Monday

Post by chuff » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:36 pm

Tonight on Channel 40 (ABC Springfield), Scott Coen says that there will be a press conference at UMass on Monday, and it "doesn't look good; Steve Lappas will be relieved". No suggestion of a replacement.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:33 am

told ya'll this earlier today... well, not that there would be a press conference, but that he was a gonner at the begining of the week.... its time to move on
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:35 am

Who is ready for the Jay Spoonhower era?

Minutemaniac74
Senior

Post by Minutemaniac74 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:43 am

PreecherJenkins wrote:Who is ready for the Jay Spoonhower era?
who?

UmAstudent
Senior

Post by UmAstudent » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:38 am

Lambardi had a meeting with the players before their trip to the A10s asking them if they would transfer if Lap was let go. They all said no. As soon as the team got back from Dayton Lap and Lambardi had a meeting to discuss his future. At the begining of next week we will be on the hunt for a new head coach.

kmac
Sophomore

Post by kmac » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:44 am

Gene Frenkle
Freshman

Post by Gene Frenkle » Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:06 am

If true, then Kruger ends up influencing the Umass hire after all.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:40 am

Just to add to that bio, Jay Spoonhour is 5-2 since taking over for his father as the head coach at UNLV.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:43 am

I have no idea where these Spoonhour rumors are coming from, but his Runnin Rebels will be taking on Utah in the Moutain West final in the battle of the interim coaches.

Feato
Senior

Post by Feato » Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:52 am

anyone happen to catch the time?

pleeeease say 4 or 5 pm, that way I can be there to catch it!!! :P
MF

I'm a professional smartass.

Hoop It Up
Junior

Post by Hoop It Up » Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:03 am

Well if this is true its unfortunate that things have gotten this bad. If this is true I hope Coach Barbee is being considered.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:09 am

BRIAN's THE MAN!
He's Got THE SPIRIT!

VOTE EARLY
and
VOTE OFTEN!

chuff
Senior

Post by chuff » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:17 am

A caveat from News40 and Scott Coen: (Yes, I did look at MassLive and will put in some time in the Church soup kitchen as penance.)
Scott Coen News40 wrote: by cosmo40, 3/12/04 21:58 ET
Re: Report: Lappas Fired by 40Sports, 3/12/04

Just a clarification. We have not reported anything definitive on the future of Steve Lappas. I spoke to Steve tonight and he said he has heard nothing official yet from the new AD. He could be playing close to vest but that is what he told me. Just an FYI.
I'm not sure what's going on with the time tag here, but I first heard Scott's report at around 11:30, or 23:30.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:57 pm

SignMan wrote:BRIAN's THE MAN!
He's Got THE SPIRIT!

VOTE EARLY
and
VOTE OFTEN!

:D :D :D :D
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:54 pm

I heard UMASS wants to get rid of him, couldn't come up with the funds to do it, and now they will have a press conference on Monday to give Lappas a vote of confidence.

The guy had the rookie of the year, a first team all rookie, and Maxwell could have been on that list as well.

You can say all you want about Steve Lappas, but for the first time since Lap has been at UMASS, they really are about to turn the corner.

Coming into this season, only 2 legitimate Lappas recruits had seen any playing time coming into this year, Lee and Viggiano. Martin was a bust, and everyone else either transferred, were dismissed, or redshirting.

It's his fault that it took so long to get some players in here, but the year he finally got them in, he brought in Freeman, Bowers, Maxwell, and Lasme. That's the best group of freshman in the league. Not an ok class that can contribute. The best class in the league. He was hired to bring in a class like this, and he was able to do it. These guys have 3 more years left.

Carrier comes in next year and if it weren't for injuries, he would have been considered a top 50 player. He's another guy who can go inside and outside, a bigger player that can shoot. He's a perfect fit for Laps offense. The other two recruits are big men as well.

I know no one likes to hear it, especially from me, but he's started over every year since he's been here. He finally got it right this year, and no one is leaving this time around.

I obviously have no influence over the decision, but I'm perfectly aware of how Lappas teams are capable of playing, and they are capable of playing way way way better than they have shown thus far.

The program is about to turn the corner. I'd like to see him get the chance to do it.

I have never met Lappas, other than when I went to his basketball camps.

The reason why I still want to see him do well is because his Nova teams were the best teams I ever saw at Nova in the 26 years I have been alive, and the way he was shown the door at Villanova was as classless and cruel as I've ever seen.

Your program has real potential now, and the team isn't starting over next year because players want to play this position or can't keep out of trouble.

I know what it's like to want to be done with a coach. I wore paper bags to a game when Jerry Dunn was the coach at PSU. You guys rip Lappas at a 1st grade level compared to my posts regarding Jerry Dunn. Seriously.

The thing with Jerry is that Jerry couldn't land a recruit if his life depended on it. You knew there was no future with him because he would never bring in any talent.

That's not a problem with Lappas, and he has a much better resume.

Lappas lost 4 starters one year at Nova and won 12 games the year after because of it. The following year Nova was predicted to finish in the Big East basement and made the NCAA Tournament. In a must win game at home they beat a a top 10 Jarvis, Artest, and Barkley squad. The following year playing a ton of freshman he had a more veteran Jarvis, Artest, and Barkley team down in the final minute of a second round BET game, only to lose a the buzzer.

Anyone knows basketball knows that those Jarvis teams had a boat load of talent and played as physical a brand of ball as there was in the league. Laps teams beat Jarvis and hung with him all the time, and those were the Lap teams at the END of the Lap era.

He's about to turn the corner, he doesn't have to start over next year, he should be given the chance.