Should Lappas get another chance in 2004-05?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Should Steve Lappas be UMass's coach in 2004-05?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:26 am

Yes, he should be given another year with this team.
30%
No, UMass should buy out his contract.
70%

Total votes: 135

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Should Lappas get another chance in 2004-05?

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:26 am

For months now this board has been filled with chatter, some fairly heated and passionate, about Coach Lappas. Some feel that he has been given enough of a chance in his three years, while others think he deserves another year to work with his solid rookie class. Besides walk-on Paco Kotaridis, all the Minutemen will return next season.

Problem with the debate is that it has been very one-sided. The anti-Lappas crowd has been very vocal, and driven the other group away. But they're still out there, just being quiet.

Now's your chance. You don't have to plead your case, just cast your quick vote. Yes or no. Should Lappas get another chance next season?

There are over 500 people registered on this board, I wanna see a big response rate. Why else would you register if you didn't want to particpate?
Last edited by MikeUMA on Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:32 am

One more year.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:02 am

Thanks, Mike.

Here is my case for voting "no". Hopefully it is the last time I address the issue because it really is out of my control and I am getting tired of it.

First, the positive, Lappas runs a clean program. I will never complain about that, even if it means passing up a stud recruit with question marks.

I say "no" because his last four years at Villanova were what I will call 'successful mediocrity'. Decent records, with a few good wins, but too many underachieving losses with good (including Naismith nominee-level) talent, and frustratingly early exits from the post-season. I have seen nothing in his three seasons here that is reversing that trend. I see next season around the .500 mark and subsequent seasons around the 18-13 mark with some post-season visits (but if I anticipate early exits, then I won't be disappointed). I am not fired up by OOC schedules like this year's and I don't expect any upgrades in the forseeable future (resulting in fewer TV appearances). Lombardi made the comment about 5000 at the hoops games being a stepping stone to larger crowds. I don't see the scenarios I stated above as a formula for waking the lethargic fanbase, particularly the students. It will take a good salesman or consistently winning basketball to get the fans back in the near term. I don't see Lappas' staff as the salesmen type, nor do I anticipate big winning streaks (the A-10 is upgrading with its additions in '05) or an upgraded schedule to attract interest.

Tough call for the administration as there appears to be young talent. I'm just not energized by the future prospects of the program.

Minutemaniac74
Senior

Post by Minutemaniac74 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:33 am

The situation at Houston sounds an awful lot like what is happening at UMass. Here's the link to the full article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1754335

Does this sound familiar? -

The school could not afford the low attendance at home games, Maggard said. The school averaged only 2,884 fans in 17 home games at the 8,400 seat Hofheinz Pavilion.

"I saw too many people losing interest in the basketball program and too many fans canceling season tickets," Maggard said. "We've got to move up ahead of that and we've got to move right now."

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:00 am

In Lappas' 3rd season guiding the program, he has produced UMass' worst conference record since the A-10 was formed. Removing Lappas should be as much punitive for such a complete failure as it is an attempt to hopefully find a coach who can reverse the mind-boggling Lappas-induced slide to becoming among the worst teams in major Division 1.
Last edited by DS Bruce Robertson on Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:03 am

Mike you didn't offer an choice for 'undecided'

Stay: I am still optimistic/stupid enough to think Lappas could win 18 games with this team next year. Right now 'successful mediocrity' would be a welcome change.
The university simply does not have the money to buy him out.

Go: Like Harbo I think the best upside to Lappas would be ''successful mediocrity'. Long term 'successful mediocrity' will just not work for me.
I believe a program should strive to be the best.

So my vote is go. If he did had a fair season next year it would be harder to remove him.

The key is the second decision: Who do we hire as the Coach.
I hope he would in no particular order:
Be a good flexible coach who can get his players to over-achieve.
Be a high energy person, passionate, a good salesman.
Run a clean program.
"This is my dream job''

RTL
Sophomore

Post by RTL » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:20 am

3 years seems to be the consensus for a coach to put his stamp on a program, prove his worth, and be able to give fans an idea of where things are headed.

The simple question is; is the program better off now than it was 3 years ago?

When examining all aspects of the program; wins, attendance, talent, NCAA compliance, revenue, etc, etc. , does Steve Lappas receive a passing grade? I don’t think so. Can he/will he turn it around in year 4? The evidence points to NO.

But, I think the decision depends on who you can get to replace him., and the answer isn’t “anyone”. I wouldn’t fire Lappas just to make a change. Instead, I would identify (hopefully this has already been done) a candidate or two, that we feel could instantly add fan interest, create excitement, and win more games with the same players. Put out some feelers and if this individual is willing to come to Umass, you make the change. If not, you give Lappas another year.
"Refuse To Lose"

Rudy
Junior

Post by Rudy » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:24 am

I voted stay. So many key A10 players are leaving this year and Im interested to see how this team can compete next year without any transfers. I cant recall seeing so much potential in a losing team like I do with this team. The fact that we could have a Lasme, Freeman, Maxwell, Bowers, Carrier lineup through the 2006-2007 season is too intriguing to me.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:29 am

RTL wrote:...But, I think the decision depends on who you can get to replace him., and the answer isn’t “anyone”. I wouldn’t fire Lappas just to make a change. Instead, I would identify (hopefully this has already been done) a candidate or two, that we feel could instantly add fan interest, create excitement, and win more games with the same players. Put out some feelers and if this individual is willing to come to Umass, you make the change. If not, you give Lappas another year.
You're not going to like this but your statement is consistent with Wiggum's widely discredited assertion that firing Bruiswer was a mistake (for precisley the reason that you say firing Lappas might be a mistake). That said, I happen to agree with both of you. There is absolutely no point in firing Lappas unless there is a high degree of confidence that his replacement will be better.

RTL
Sophomore

Post by RTL » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:44 am

In my defense, I respect Wiggum's view of how the Bruiser situation was handled..........BUT......at that particular time, I was an advocate of "CHANGE" was needed. I thought we still had much to lose if we continued down the same path, and so I thought change was necessary to help save the program.

If Lappas has another sub-par year next season, I would vote for "Change" just for the need to change. But for now, I say you only make a move if you are sure you can improve your situation.
"Refuse To Lose"

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:53 am

RTL wrote: If Lappas has another sub-par year next season, I would vote for "Change" just for the need to change. But for now, I say you only make a move if you are sure you can improve your situation.
Reasonable point RTL.
Many here however would say the situation improves just by removing Lappas.
"This is my dream job''

Sunderland96

Post by Sunderland96 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:15 am

one more year, normally I'd say a fourth season for a coach who has proven nothing on the court is extreme.

but here, we obviously have clear talents on the floor now and several more coming for next season. Next yr he'll have to prove he can do more than recruit or lose his job.

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:17 am

Sunderland96 wrote:one more year, normally I'd say a fourth season for a coach who has proven nothing on the court is extreme.

but here, we obviously have clear talents on the floor now and several more coming for next season. Next yr he'll have to prove he can do more than recruit or lose his job.
Couldn't agree with you more. Took the words right out of my mouth.

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:36 am

I voted go. Big surprise. Why? The paying customers won't come to watch Lappas ball. I don't think it is certain that any player will leave if a change is made.
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!

Will_Noyes
Freshman

Post by Will_Noyes » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:53 am

I agree with the one more year sentiment. For anyone who is against letting have another year, if he fails to make a serious run into the A-10's next year, you know you will have 100% behind you that a change is needed. But I believe that this team is capable of doing some big things next year. If we change now, we will retard the progess thats been made. I know what everyone is thinking, WHAT PROGESS THIS TEAM HASN"T DONE ANYTHING. Yeah I know, but we have some top tier talent in the system now that is learning a specific type of offense that takes more than one year to learn. Progess will be made or not in the second year, when people have actually gotten some playing time not just on the D-1 level, but also with each other, as a team. If you look back on the teams performance I think it has gotten better since the beginning of the season. Its not sparkling but its better and more consistent. As far as player development who has he had to develop other than AA? Anderson has improved his game over the last three years, especially this year. In the past his numbers game to game were erratic at best, but not he seems to have settled down into his point guard position and leadership role. Since about the halfway point of the season, his points per game is much more consistent which I think is a good sign. Vigs is really the only other player that has seen playing time for more than one season and he has made big jumps from last year with what he has been asked to do. Since conference play started both his points and rebounds are up. This team will improve next year, but if it doesn't there is no need to coach to return, no one will debate that. All I want is for a little continuity in the program. I know most have their minds made up and no matter what anyone says the hard cores are going to feel what they feel, but this team finally has the groundwork laid to make something of itself and thats all I ever wanted.[/i]
Nope