Should Lappas get another chance in 2004-05?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Should Steve Lappas be UMass's coach in 2004-05?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:26 am

Yes, he should be given another year with this team.
30%
No, UMass should buy out his contract.
70%

Total votes: 135

Gene Frenkle
Freshman

Post by Gene Frenkle » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:26 pm

DEM wrote:I don't like the idea of setting NIT as the goal for next year, if it's true that Lappas is coming back. In his fourth year, I think the goal should be getting on the bubble for the tournament. If we barely miss the tournament and end up with the NIT, fine, but I could care less if we barely make the NIT with a 16-15 record or whatnot. That should not be considered an achievement in Lappas's fourth year here with all the pieces in place.
DEM, well said. Absolute bare minimum if Lappas returns is 19-20 wins and a bubble team. Can you agree with this, MiagiVox?

78 is absolutely right, though. As soon as this bare minimum is not met, the excuse train will start rolling, with MiagiVox leading the charge. No doubt.

MrMiagi

Re: Should Lappas get another chance in 2004-05?

Post by MrMiagi » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:30 pm

MikeUMA,

Because 300 of those names are probably the same guy, BRULUAGHS

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:06 am

While Lappas will still have a partial "they are young" excuse to use next year when things go south, I was just wondering what other excuses he will come up with when the bad times hit. I figure the fact that Lamoreaux is Canadian will be one of them, while another might be that Deli is a huge project and needs to lose 40 pounds before he can contribute. We will then have the Lee and Carrier are rusty excuses, because Carrier has sat our a year, while Lee missed much of the season with an injury.

Having written this, I still wish one of the Lappas lovers on the board could explain to me how YOUNG teams such as GW and Boston College have been able to win at least two games in their conference tournaments and will likely be in postseason play. There are plenty of young teams that succeed. Once again, I bet they have long arms.

Please fire this guy and give the program a chance.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:24 am

And please explain how Maryland, with no seniors and one (non-starting) junior is facing Duke for the ACC championship on Sunday.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:49 am

and please explain why you are such a miserable douche bag who feels the need to trash UMass basketball players, coaches and students in virtually every single worthless post?

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:02 am

VoxPop wrote:and please explain why you are such a miserable douche bag who feels the need to trash UMass basketball players, coaches and students in virtually every single worthless post?
Hey Vox -- why can't you answer the question. How do young teams like BC, Maryland, GW, etc., etc. etc. seem to succeed where UMass fails? Also, you still have not answered the question as to how you are related to Lappas. No one could be this devoted to a guy without either being a family member or otherwise related to him. Also, wondering how much you want to bet on your claim in another thread that UMass will win the A10 next year?

Don't forget, BC lost its best player and also one of its top five players in Sidney. They also lost that 6-8 kid who took the rainbow threes and was a decent sixth or seventh man. In addition, BC had to ercruit late when it found out that Sidney and the other kid was gone. Yet, they still went to the semis in the Big East. Guess it says that Al Skinner is both a better coach and recruiter than Steve Lappas.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:50 am

Maryland is back in the NCAA's because they have a program that in on another planet. Maryland has become one of the top 8 programs in America.

Maryland attracts players that UMASS will never ever ever ever ever be able to attract.

Maryland's Center Smith is a senior and is a leading scorer and the leading rebounder. Caner-Medley is pro prospect that played a lot last year as a freshman. The rest of of Maryland's team consists all everything high school players. Gary Williams is one of the top coaches in the country and is making at least twice the amount of money that UMASS would ever consider paying their head basketball coach.

For another topic, let's compare Florida State football with Marshall football.

Gene Frenkle
Freshman

Post by Gene Frenkle » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:52 am

MrMiagi wrote: For another topic, let's compare Florida State football with Marshall football.
That about sums up how low we've fallen under Lappas's watch.

Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf
Sophomore
Location: I am at the side of almighty leader Steve Lappas. Where else would I be?

Post by Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:56 am

VoxPop wrote:and please explain why you are such a miserable douche bag who feels the need to trash UMass basketball players, coaches and students in virtually every single worthless post?
It's a large book which says "Roget's Thesaurus" on the front. I had it when I was sneaking across the border and now I can't seem to find it. If you see it, please forward it to me. I was using it frequently during the early spring of 2003.
Steve Lappas is the mightiest coach of all time!!! Death to all Anti-Lappas Spin Merchants who cannot see his greatness!!!!!!

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:08 pm

Actually,

You were already there before Lappas got to UMASS. What in the world did Bruiser do with all the momentum Cal built?

If you're going to cheat, you can win at Baylor too.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:25 pm

MrMiagi wrote:Actually,

You were already there before Lappas got to UMASS. What in the world did Bruiser do with all the momentum Cal built?

Are you saying UMass cheated when Cal was here? Prove it. Prove how Umass cheated. Give me a link, show me some evidence. Otherwise shut the f*&K up and stop throwing around baseless accusations.

UMass cheated about as much as Lappass did when he recruited Tim Thomas and hired his step father as an assistant coach. Being the Lappas suck-up that you are, I suppose that was ok?

But Lappas ethics will no longer be our problem after Monday.
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:41 pm

The weren't coached though! Wow. And I'm not mad because his opinion is different than mine. I'm mad because he states things with no facts. Tell me, how did the team get better? They went 1-9 in their last ten I believe. Sorry if that's not exact, but it's close. I don't get how you can say they got better. They lost to Fordham by 14! That's pitiful.[/quote]

they weren't coached? sure.
getting better isn't always about wins...in my opinion they played better towards the end of the season, and that resulted in some close losses which would have been blowouts had they not improved.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

Gene Frenkle
Freshman

Post by Gene Frenkle » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:56 pm

MrMiagi wrote:Actually,

Same line parroted again and again by MiagiVox. Whether you realize it or not, you show very clearly what is really of concern to you.

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:59 pm

Do you have a Final 4 banner hanging from your rafters?

I rest my case.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:08 pm

MrMiagi wrote:Do you have a Final 4 banner hanging from your rafters?

I rest my case.
So the most vocal supporter of UMass's coach is taunting UMass fans about the Camby scandal.

You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.