Alumni Sightings at the Bill!!

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
LS71
Hall of Fame

Alumni Sightings at the Bill!!

Post by LS71 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:54 pm

The only thing worth mentioning about tonight was Al's number being retired. Julius and Al were there but there was not a Pitino in sight. I didn't hear anything mentioned on the radio as to why he wasn't there.

They said that there were 16 former players from Al's era there to share the moment. Unfortunately there was no mention of who they were. Two guys that I think I recognized were Dick Samuelson and Jack Gallagher. I also thought I saw Tom McLaughlin. Anyone know who else was there?

There were people mulling around behind my seats early in the game. I turned around and there were Ronnell Blizzard and Chris Kirkland standing there.

The ovations were great for both Julius and Al. They, like their coach, come off as humble, down-to-earth gentlemen....class all the way. Jack beamed like a proud father standing between the two of them. I'd love to get a copy of that picture.

Leaman mentioned that too often honors like the one bestowed on Al tonight happen too late.

I agree Jack. How long is going to take UMass to name the court at the Bill after him?

After all, if the lacrosse team can play on Garber field, why can't UMass' basketball teams at UMass play on Jack Leaman Court!!
Last edited by LS71 on Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

chuff
Senior

Post by chuff » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:17 pm

My wife and I felt it was a screw up in the ceremony that they didn't call Al's team and classmates down to the floor and at least let them stand there, if not introduce them.

But the rest was great. One of Jack's comments: this is the only time you'll see a BU guy giving a BC guy anything.

Al talked about how great his UMass years were, and that he hoped the UMass students today would enjoy and get as much out of UMass as he did, and would come and have a good time at the bball games.

BTW, Tyrone was there as a coach. Al waved at some people he obviously knew along the URI bench. When are we going to bring some of these guys home?

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:22 pm

I suspect Louisville's losing 4 out its last 5 with a 20+ point loss last night kept Pitino in the film room. Can't fault him for not being there. He has bigger fish to fry this time of year.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:57 pm

DirSport can verify this, but it was stated at the Skinner event at the Cage before the game that Pitino would not be appearing.

Rhymer and Kirkland were at the game.

Before retiring for the night I put up some of the best pics I got, check the game recap page. I'll put the rest up soon.

UmassGirl
Sophomore

Post by UmassGirl » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:45 am

I have to say, I just stood there in awe during most of that ceremony. It was incredible to see the legend Dr. J and to be there to witness such a momentous event. Jack always says the nicest things and I love it. I'm going to miss him when I graduate. Overall, the whole thing was really sweet and touching. I agree with the Jack Leaman court thing. He deserves it. It was nice to see so many people at the Mullins for the event also. (I was just happy to have a reason to dress up :wink: ) :D

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:38 am

Nice pics of the ceremony Mike. Thanks for putting them up for those of us who couldn't make it to the game.

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:53 am

It was a very nice ceremony and the crowd stood the entire time and gave Al and J long cheers and applause.
My thought was the same as you other guys. They should have had
Al's teammates on the floor and at least let them stand there even if they didn't have time to introduce them. It would have added to the moment.

The funny part of the ceremony was when the new AD asked the teammates in the crowd to stand up to be recogized. Since the whole crowd was standing at the time it made no sense.

I realize it would be impractical but its to bad the current team could not have witnessed the ceremony. They would have had a chance to see UMASS history and think about their part in it.
"This is my dream job''

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:02 pm

Great event, it was extremely well run and it ran the exact time it should have. I have to admit the ceremony gave me chills. It does bother me that Pitino wasn't there especially since he probably the driving force behind this, but have to at least give him credit for helping make it happen. It was also nice to see Dick Samuelson for the first time in years, the former director of the Court Club.

tm

UMASS Alumni

Post by tm » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:48 pm

Last night's tribute to Al Skinner was a tremendous event and the University and the Athletic Department did an outstanding job. It was great to see Julius Erving and Al Skinner who are two wonderful human beings standing up in the Cage and proclaim their affection for UMASS.
There was a Dinner at the Cage which began at 4PM and it's too bad the general fan didn't have the chance to witness it.
The reason for me putting this on the board is to let the true UMASS fan know that that the former UMASS players all had a wonderful experience playing for such great fans. As a team we would have shooting practice at 3PM and we would see students lining up at 3 PM to get in for a 7;30 game It would make us proud to be part of such a wonderful program.
The man who made it go was Coach Leaman. He along with his assistants Ray Wilson , Pete Broaca and Fan Gaudette made us all better players and people. You can thank Ray Wilson for helping UMASS get Julius and Al Skinner. To this very day Al Julius and Ray have a special relationship but without Ray Wilson Julius and Al probably would have never come to UMASS
Last night there were players like Dick Samuelson Rick Vogeley Peter Trow Billy Endicott John Olson Mark Donoghue Bobby Powers and numerous others that came out to pay there respects to Al Skinner. What's funny and shows the closeness of those teams is we all generally have kept in touch throughout the years because we were close both on and off the court. I feel we won because we respected one another. One former player who wasn't there was John Murphy. However John has remained a part of the UMASS team throughout the years and most of the players have taken part in the annual John Murphy road race that is held each year and Steve Libby makes sure we are aware of it.
People also don't remember that Mike Flanagan the great Baltimore Oriole pitcher played on Al Skinners undefeated freshman team. There was another individual there that was a part of the Umass teams and that is Jim Mulchaly who has great spirit and was an inspiration to us all. Dick Bresciani of the Boston Red Sox was also a big part of our teamsI want the UMASS fans to know that the former players have great memories and are so proud of being a part of UMASS basketball and no one individual examplifies UMASS basketball then Coach Leaman. He was something special and at the time people would say how great a coach Dave Gavitt and Dee Rowe were. Coach Leaman could outcoach them all and it was an honor to have played for him and the University. It's now time to name the court after Coach and if you think the tribute to Al Skinner was good that night will be the best in UMASS Basketball history. Maybe they should have that night with a game verses BC in the Cage and then the UMASS fans could show college basketball what a night in the cage was like. As Captain of the 1973 team I want to thank all those fans who supported us and even went to NY and filled Madison Square Garden it was an honor to wear a UMASS uniform and I think every player that played in the Cage would say the same thing. Also thanks Coach Leaman and your the best and you deserve all the credit you get because your brought all these players together and last night it was great to see after 30 years that you brought good people into the program people that the university can be proud of.

Tom McLaughlin UMASS 73
tmclaughlin

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:05 pm

Thanks for the input Tom. I think all the people here agree with you that the court should be named after Coach Leaman. Just so you know, I became a basketball fan for the first time over 20 years ago because of the excitement you brought back to the cage. I still have season tickets after all these years and coincidently enough make the trek from Andover.

nale
Hall of Fame

Re: UMASS Alumni

Post by nale » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:07 pm

tm wrote:Last night's tribute to Al Skinner was a tremendous event and the University and the Athletic Department did an outstanding job. It was great to see Julius Erving and Al Skinner who are two wonderful human beings standing up in the Cage and proclaim their affection for UMASS.
Tom McLaughlin UMASS 73
Thanks for the insights Tom. As some here have stated the ONLY fault with the ceremony is that the fans didn't get to see all you former players together.
Many people feel the Coach Cal era was the best in UMASS history. For me personally the early 70's in the Cage were the most fun. I was lucky enough to come to UMASS in 1970 with Al and Rick. The freshman games were as good to watch as the varsity games.
I hope for the Leaman court night ALL the players can be on the court with him. GO REDMEN !
"This is my dream job''

Sam Minuteman
Junior

Post by Sam Minuteman » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:21 pm

I only recently became an alum however durring my time at the University I was fortunate enough to meet many many alumni and friends of the University. I can say wholeheartedly that Coach Leaman is once of the nicest people on campus, and his passion for Umass is inspiring. Umass brings people together not for four years but for life, I hope the alumni continue to increase their support in every way, emotionally, vocally, and financially.

There seems to be grassroots support for Coach Leaman Court perhaps someone could start a petition? (If not for the Bar Exam coming up, and a potential move I would put it together.)

BTW KKress the drive from Andover isn't bad, I think I have it down to a science.
UConn girls are........................... Huskies!!

AlPatino
Junior

Post by AlPatino » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:30 pm

Thanks Tom for the insight into past players feelings and relationships. I was there from 72-77 and those were special times in the Cage, Madison Square Garden and later in the Spectrum. It's nice to know that the players appreciated it as much as we student fans did. Last night was great and brought back lots of memories. :D
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

tm

Al Skinner tribute

Post by tm » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:18 pm

I can assure you the the players really appreciated the fans. When you played at the Cage there was a rush you had on the court because the fans carried you. All you had to do was be at the Syracuse BC UCONN Holy Cross Fordham or Providence games to witness it. Syracuse was nationally ranked but we beat them Julius had 32 points and 36 rebounds.
I can't say enough about the fans they meant so much. I was fortunate and was at Stanford and Notre Dame and their fans were great but to this day I still feel the Cage was the best place to play in it was electric.
What Jack Leaman did was take a program that was struggling for an idenity and always coming in second to UCONN and he turned it into a program that rarely lost to UCONN and regularly beat BC Providence Holy Cross and Syracuse. He got us to play like a team and guys would sacrifice to win. Guys like Rick Pitino Jimmy Burke Peter Trow Jim Town Greg Duarte Tommy Austin Charlie Peters Dave Dibble Billy Greeley Jack Gallagher Sam Provo Bob Dempsey Tommy Gilliams Chuck Olson John Bettencourt Mike Pagliara Chris Coffin Julius Erving Al Skinner John Olson Mark Donoghue gave their hearts for UMASS basketball. All of them are better people for having played for Coach Leaman
The point is UMASS has a great basketball tradition and part of that tradition is the fans. I can tell you without the fans UMASS wouldn't have won those games in the 70's. UMASS has a basketball tradition that we should all be proud of and just look at some of the people that program has produced and their effect on the sports world. Juliue Erving Al Skinner Rick Pitino Mike Flanagan John Calipari Marcus Camby Jack Leaman Dick Bresciani are just a few.
UMASS is a great university with great people. It's time for Jack Leaman to be nationally recognized because he doesn't take a back seat to anyone. His only fault is he is too modest. If he had been at UCONN or Providence he'd have been in the Hall of Fame because he would have been one of the guys. Jack Leaman created waves because he wouid beat teams UMASS had lost to regularly. He turned UMASS into winners. Jim Calhourn was at Northeastern and I bet Coach Leaman didn't lose to him much. Coach Leaman was tough but fair. He left some players in the parking lot because they were late for the bus and he even left an assistant coach.
Again thank you fans from the bottom of our hearts and you made our UMASS experience great.
tmclaughlin

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:34 pm

krkess wrote: Dick Samuelson for the first time in years, the former director of the Court Club.
he has been at games, occasionally, over the past several years..

What turnip truck have you been on? :roll: :roll: