New Transfer Rules

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Re: New Transfer Rules

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:29 am

umasscollective wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:32 pm
Quann wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:24 pm This is just plain awful. Like Eldon said they need to make these kids sign a contract for x amount of seasons. Only way to slow down this mess.
We've essentially done that with payment schedules, clawbacks, etc and will continue to trend that way and keep a pulse on the changes.
On the other side of contracts, how are they determined to begin with? Does the collective membership act as, well, a collective and discuss and debate contracts, or does this fall entirely to the director? For example, I think many were surprised Keon entered the portal since he would have been the returning PG and seemingly good with Frank. I’d be curious to know by what criteria how/if returning players are offered contracts or whether the collective has assumed a role in roster construction.

BR72
Junior

Post by BR72 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:31 am

Quann wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:24 pm This is just plain awful. Like Eldon said they need to make these kids sign a contract for x amount of seasons. Only way to slow down this mess.
We've essentially done that with payment schedules, clawbacks, etc and will continue to trend that way and keep a pulse on the changes.
Not being critical of the Collective, but it's not essentially the same as a multi-year binding contract. A clawback doesn't prevent someone from leaving if they are offered an amount that offsets the clawback and still pays more than the Collective deal. If it was the same, you wouldn't have Collective players entering the portal.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 am

Steve81 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:20 pm I'd rather say we are a high mid-major team in a mid major world. With Frank Martin and his great staff, we'll be fighters and hopefully doing well. However it is up to YOU guys to support the Massachusetts Collective for players and the Court Club for the coaches, facilities and student athletes!

Steve there is much, much more to this than "supporting the collective". You can call and think all you want of Umass' status in the "Major" category. Your perception of this and that of the players being recruited to come here do not align. Jesus H. Crist could be the coach, it doesn't matter - the team is 1 year away from playing in a 1 bid and low ranked conference; and in this new era of pay for play where kids can come and go as they please for a better opportunity, Umass will be unable to compete. Loyalty is no longer a thing - see the portal.

Again, we simply do not know what Umass had for options when it came down to this final decision. IMHO they had none besides the MAC. We all understand that they had to do this for football to have any chance of surviving. This is 3 steps backwards to (maybe) take one step forwards.

The post mortem on this in 5 years will be interesting to read - and I do not expect much if anything positive to come from it.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

BR72 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:31 am
Not being critical of the Collective, but it's not essentially the same as a multi-year binding contract. A clawback doesn't prevent someone from leaving if they are offered an amount that offsets the clawback and still pays more than the Collective deal. If it was the same, you wouldn't have Collective players entering the portal.
Didn't say it was the same.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:31 am

eldonabe wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 am ... Your perception of this and that of the players being recruited to come here do not align. Jesus H. Crist could be the coach, it doesn't matter - ...

Who the hell is Jesus H. Crist? :lol:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:59 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:31 am
eldonabe wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 am ... Your perception of this and that of the players being recruited to come here do not align. Jesus H. Crist could be the coach, it doesn't matter - ...

Who the hell is Jesus H. Crist? :lol:
Charlie's cousin?

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:18 am

eldonabe wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 am
Steve81 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:20 pm I'd rather say we are a high mid-major team in a mid major world. With Frank Martin and his great staff, we'll be fighters and hopefully doing well. However it is up to YOU guys to support the Massachusetts Collective for players and the Court Club for the coaches, facilities and student athletes!

Steve there is much, much more to this than "supporting the collective". You can call and think all you want of Umass' status in the "Major" category. Your perception of this and that of the players being recruited to come here do not align. Jesus H. Crist could be the coach, it doesn't matter - the team is 1 year away from playing in a 1 bid and low ranked conference; and in this new era of pay for play where kids can come and go as they please for a better opportunity, Umass will be unable to compete. Loyalty is no longer a thing - see the portal.

Again, we simply do not know what Umass had for options when it came down to this final decision. IMHO they had none besides the MAC. We all understand that they had to do this for football to have any chance of surviving. This is 3 steps backwards to (maybe) take one step forwards.

The post mortem on this in 5 years will be interesting to read - and I do not expect much if anything positive to come from it.
Don't like your attitude. Whoa is us, lowely MAC, we can't... That is a sad attitude. An easy cop out. Find it really sad how vocal you guys are at complaining and it's everything else's fault. You my friends, it's your attitude. It could be a self fulfilling prophecy as potential recruits read this stuff, be careful projecting your hurt feels and attitude!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9erhNFr61-4
Go UMass!!

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:30 am

Steve81 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:18 am
eldonabe wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 am

Don't like your attitude. Whoa is us, lowely MAC, we can't... That is a sad attitude. An easy cop out. Find it really sad how vocal you guys are at complaining and it's everything else's fault. You my friends, it's your attitude. It could be a self fulfilling prophecy as potential recruits read this stuff, be careful projecting your hurt feels and attitude!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9erhNFr61-4
WELL SAID!

Too much negativity. Stay positive and control what we can control #BuildItTogether

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:43 pm

eldonabe wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:15 pm
natwam2547 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:53 am
eldonabe wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:47 am I am surprised that nobody has started a thread about this here.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ligibility

This will be the death-knell for a school like Umass. Unless you are a P5 or Big East, the rest of these conferences will just pluck players at will - just like a farm system in baseball or Hockey.

Going to the MAC for hoops looks far worse now than it did just a month ago. This transfer rule just moved Umass Hoops from from AAA to AA. Any player half way decent will be gone after 1 or 2 seasons now.
I mean...yeah. But why can't we pluck as well? It's more of a death sentence for the low majors than anything else. The days of seeing a guy putting up 19 PPG at a low major and returning to that school the next year are over. And not every 19 PPG low major player is the same. Some might be ready for a P6 school, some might be ready for a school like Umass. There's so many players out there and 13 scholarships to fill. At this point it's more about whether you trust Frank to adapt and if you trust his eye for talent, and of course the obvious, of coaching said talent once they get here. If you do, then we'll be fine. If you don't trust Frank to adapt and coach, then we won't.
Hate to break the news to you Nat but Umass has just become a low major. We weren't plucking players anyways, you think it is going to be easier as a MAC team?

I have some swamp land in Florida for you to take off my hands. I will sell it to you real cheap.
Eldon, I understand your viewpoint on things is to always be glass half-empty, but the MAC is not a low major. It's as mid of a mid-major as you can get. If you want to argue that A-10 is closer to P6 than the MAC, I would agree. Low majors are the A-Sun, America East, MAAC, Northeast, Big Sky, Big South, Big West etc etc....And no, I don't think they are all the same once you get past a tier like the A-10. The talent level and the fact that the MAC is still tied to a FBS football conference elevates it over those others. Keep your property down south as well.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:53 am

I stopped caring as much a while back and now I am looking at this through a little more unbiased lens.

North East football in general is not popular. The weather is only decent for about half the season, and there is no critical mass of College Football fans that will consistently fill a stadium (unless there is a true frontrunner to latch on to). BC could not do it, UConn could not do it, why on earth would UMass be able to do it? I Understand UConn has no conference now, but they are on record as being Basketball 1st and if they ever achieve nirvana and get into the ACC, they at least have football to contribute.

I am not against football at UMass, I never have been. What I am against is the moronic fucking decisions this place has and continues to make over and over again. They are in this position now because of their own (repeated) ineptitude.

Maybe MAC works and maybe it doesn't. They fucked that decision up 9 or whatever years ago - this All-MAC thing should have been done then, and they would very likely be in the AAC or better today. The hole they dug themselves is really deep. And again, they dug it themselves.