All in a day

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Quann
Hall of Fame

Re: All in a day

Post by Quann » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:12 am

I've been screaming this for 3 years Jolean, welcome to the club. Transfer portal is making an absolute mockery of college sports, especially basketball. NIL is here forever and the more I see it, I am fine with it. It took me awhile to come around on NIL but I'm here. Colleges have been profiting by the millions for the last 30 years perpetuating the "amateur" sport myth, these kids getting a cut of the action is fine. But they have to make it more painful for these kids to just keep hopping into the portal 2, 3, 4 times during their undergrad career. Once these court injunctions expire, Baker should do everything in his power to reinstitute the 1 year sit out rule.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:35 am

I agree. NIL is here to stay and I'm OK with it even though there is a huge disparity in what schools can offer. Having to sit out a year will change things for the better. First, players don't want to sit for a year. Second, many schools can't afford to give a non-player NIL money. I'm OK with a first-time transfer playing right away, but after that you sit.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:35 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:18 pm
umasscollective wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:43 pm
JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:53 pm

Thanks for clarifying. That is reassuring re: the Collective’s operations and controls. But it also makes it even weirder that he is still doing local promos. Is that even allowed under NCAA NIL “regs?” Can athletes just free lance contracts?
Yes, our deals are non-exclusive so he can partner with anyone else as well. The stuff we did at Hannoush this season was under the Collective and his deal, this new stuff is not.

For both Robert and Josh, terminating their contact saved us a significant amount of money, about 30% on Josh and Robert’s deal were still owed to them on our payment schedule.

Our newer deals (the 3 we just signed) are structured similarly with 20-35% due after the season, after the portal closes. They also include clawbacks if someone was to leave before June 1, 2025 of varying percentages, 20-50%.
So there is nothing on the current NIL landscape to prevent an athlete from simply freelancing and striking a deal(s) with donors? Let’s say a mega-rich booster owns a car dealership, financial advisory firm or (God forbid) a sports book, and contracts with a player outside of a collective to do an appearance or ad for their business. That’s currently allowed? Are these independent arrangements happening in addition to NIL’s via collectives? I guess I don’t understand either the limits (if any) or monitoring/deliverable requirements under NIL. I get how collectives can work as centralized fund raising hubs and promoters with some over site and compliance, but if these contracts aren’t exclusive, does that mean there are some schools where alumni or supporters are just flat our contracting directly with athletes? That’s really troubling.
Correct athletes are free to do deals directly with businesses or individuals as well. Hannoush is a very generous supporter of the collective, and they also have done some direct deals with Robert.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:10 pm

umasscollective wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:35 pm Correct athletes are free to do deals directly with businesses or individuals as well.
That’s just wild.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:25 pm

Quann wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:12 am I've been screaming this for 3 years Jolean, welcome to the club. Transfer portal is making an absolute mockery of college sports, especially basketball. NIL is here forever and the more I see it, I am fine with it. It took me awhile to come around on NIL but I'm here. Colleges have been profiting by the millions for the last 30 years perpetuating the "amateur" sport myth, these kids getting a cut of the action is fine. But they have to make it more painful for these kids to just keep hopping into the portal 2, 3, 4 times during their undergrad career. Once these court injunctions expire, Baker should do everything in his power to reinstitute the 1 year sit out rule.
The genie is out of the bottle............but I'd rather have the Transfer Portal than what we had before. We never would have had a KLA on the football team and he just about single handedly beat Army. The Portal is essential to teams like UMass.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:07 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:25 pm
The genie is out of the bottle............but I'd rather have the Transfer Portal than what we had before. We never would have had a KLA on the football team and he just about single handedly beat Army. The Portal is essential to teams like UMass.
So without the portal we would have never had a dude with one good season on a team that finished 5-31 in his 3 years? Aim high FBS/MAC fans. Aim high!

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:30 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:07 pm
So without the portal we would have never had a dude with one good season on a team that finished 5-31 in his 3 years? Aim high FBS/MAC fans. Aim high!
Ahhhh, #Dumb_User_Name, at least you are consistent!!!!! Not only is UMass football NOT dropping back down to FCS, but it has taken the entire Athletic Dept with it to the Great MACtion conference!!!! Your ignorance of football never ceases to amaze!!! yes, without the Portal KLA would've stayed at Rutgers and we never would have had him. That's how The Portal works, but I guess you liked things better when college athletes were basically indentured slaves.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:36 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:07 pm
Aim low FCS/CAA "coastal" fans. Aim low. Did I get that one correct @Dumb_User_Name???? I mean why have football games televised??? Umass football was on ESPN 3x and Big10 network and SEC Network. Stay on FLO channel that's where the action is.