Lightning in a Bottle documentary

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

Lightning in a Bottle documentary

Post by MikeUMA » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:06 pm

Have you guys heard about the documentary that's being made about our run in the 90s? "Lightning in a Bottle" is in the works. You can see the trailer online at https://www.283productions.com/

The producers are looking to add some content from fans. Were you around during that run? Got stories or pictures to share? Now's the time!

I'm helping to spread the word for the producers. Details here: https://umasshoops.com/wiki/doku.php?id ... n_a_bottle

stevemaz
Senior

Re: Lightning in a Bottle documentary

Post by stevemaz » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:28 pm

I will send them some of my memories and thoughts from the early years 88-89, 89-90, and 90-91

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:55 pm

Just when you think you no longer want to live in the past, something like this comes along and pulls you back in.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:01 pm

I have a bunch of games I taped on VHS that I would be happy to contribute if someone could burn them on to DVD and give me a copy
Time to Win

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:20 pm

I heard about this a couple months ago - Mike was on Franks podcast promoting it. The producers have big dreams for this - they hope ESPN Films or Netflix, Prime, etc will pick it up - they certainly have some big names interviewed - Dr. J, Cal, Marcus - will probably need a few more big names as well if they want a streaming service like those to pick it up, but wherever it lands I will be certainly tune in. Best of luck to them.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:39 pm

Hopefully they can get guys like Dick Vitale and Billy Raftery in for interviews.... well known basketball analysts that were calling games at the time.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Mike0473
Junior

Post by Mike0473 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:12 pm

I have a lot of nostalgia for the 1990s in general. I am in my early 50s now, and am glad I got to experience that era, and even lived as an adult for at least a while without cell phones, social media or even the internet. Life was pretty good.

I always thought if Cal had stayed just a couple more years, the program would have ended up in a much better spot. Bruiser took over as they were coming off that cycle peak, and faced some absolutely brutal schedules during those first couple post Cal years. If Cal had gotten them through that mini rebuild period, I think they would have remained relevant for a long time. Unfortunately, there was no room for error after Cal left and the program faded.

It is hard to believe this program was coming off a Final 4, 5 straight A-10 titles and had just signed a long term deal to play Uconn for several years. Umass & Uconn were fairly comparable at the time. To think Uconn might win its 6th national title since then while we move on to the MAC is quite a contrast. If Cal stays a little longer and Jim Calhoun leaves Uconn during that time, who knows how things are today. Shows how unpredictable things can be and to enjoy the good times while you have them.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:53 am

I got goosebumps watching the trailer. 90s were the last great decade :D

Part 2 can be the fall of the last 25 years :lol: