UMass transfer portal news - 2024

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Re: UMass transfer portal news - 2024

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:32 am

stevemaz wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:19 am
JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:37 am ^ I understand what you’re saying. I am just cynically using the opportunity to express my continued bitterness at the dumb move to the MAC. :lol:
three years from now the MAC will be better conference than the A10.
Sure. And our football team will be 6-0 entering the Missouri game, playing in front of a sold out McGuirk.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:55 pm

MikeUMA wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:04 pm Relative to UMMBB, it sucks that the UMass Gives campaign starts tomorrow. You'd love to go into it with a little positive momentum from the Portal, as in who we picked up, rather than just the six departures. Three of the guys have even announced new spots already.

We'll get there, but this lull right now is getting painful.
I just checked the board for UMass Gives and the baseball team is out-fundraising the basketball team, ≈$20k and 172 donations for baseball to ≈$16k and only 43 donations for basketball. I wonder if donations to the collective have eaten into program fundraising, or if the MAC announcement turned some basketball off. If anyone is unaware of the campaign or needs a reminder to send a donation: https://umass.scalefunder.com/gday/givi ... ment/84764

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:13 pm

Juice Stand wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:55 pm
MikeUMA wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:04 pm Relative to UMMBB, it sucks that the UMass Gives campaign starts tomorrow. You'd love to go into it with a little positive momentum from the Portal, as in who we picked up, rather than just the six departures. Three of the guys have even announced new spots already.

I just checked the board for UMass Gives and the baseball team is out-fundraising the basketball team, ≈$20k and 172 donations for baseball to ≈$16k and only 43 donations for basketball. I wonder if donations to the collective have eaten into program fundraising, or if the MAC announcement turned some basketball off. If anyone is unaware of the campaign or needs a reminder to send a donation: https://umass.scalefunder.com/gday/givi ... ment/84764
Perhaps, seeing similar thing with football. Think the collective is for players and court club is for coaches, staff, facilities, programs supporting the student athletes. Two are complimentary, but not repetitive. Myself give both to the Midnight Ride and Gridiron Club, but as an all sports UMass fan, give to the Maroon Excellence fund.
Last edited by Steve81 on Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go UMass!!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:37 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:32 am
stevemaz wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:19 am
JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:37 am ^ I understand what you’re saying. I am just cynically using the opportunity to express my continued bitterness at the dumb move to the MAC. :lol:
three years from now the MAC will be better conference than the A10.
Sure. And our football team will be 6-0 entering the Missouri game, playing in front of a sold out McGuirk.
That could happen easily. We had 6 win talent last year so we could get the breaks and win at Toledo and Miami. The other 4 games we will be favored

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:08 pm

stevemaz wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:37 pm We had 6 win talent last year…
That’s a good one. “6 win talent.” And, yet, we finished 3-9. 1-11 the previous year, 1-11 in 2021…

Maybe as college sports continues its downward spiral into free agency and the lowest possible program standard of success, it can base “bowl eligibility” on “win talent?” Maybe the 19-112 record against FBS teams since the “upgrade” is really closer to, say, 29-102?

- - - -

Cue Zoomass with a “hey, dumb user name, your know nothing about college football…” take. 3, 2, 1…

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:35 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:08 pm That’s a good one. “6 win talent.” And, yet, we finished 3-9. 1-11 the previous year, 1-11 in 2021…

Maybe as college sports continues its downward spiral into free agency and the lowest possible program standard of success, it can base “bowl eligibility” on “win talent?” Maybe the 19-112 record against FBS teams since the “upgrade” is really closer to, say, 29-102?

- - - -

Cue Zoomass with a “hey, dumb user name, your know nothing about college football…” take. 3, 2, 1…
Have my doubts on your post Scotts Hair. Football and basketball both have the portal. The issue is only 13 scholarship players for basketball and just 5 starters. The money involved is exponentially higher for basketball. We can compete, but we have to get lucky with hard working, blue collar, team players. If you listened to the latest podcast with Frank, all the blue bloods are losing many players to the portal and the entire Boston College starting 5.

To reply to the football quote, yes a progression of improvement from 1-11, 3-9 to 5-7 would be normal. Going to the MAC and cutting down on Power 4 teams and regularly playing at least half the schedule or more is a big plus with schemes in offense, defense, and special teams. Never mind the physical challenges of playing those SEC teams. The past did suck, but the trend is now positive, especially going into a conference. (The scheme stuff is quoting Don Brown during the press conference.)
Go UMass!!

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:26 pm

To me its one of a few things:
1. People already gave towards basketball
2. People cannot afford to give to both the MC and directly to the AD
3. People are becoming apathic as it is going to be very hard to win at a high level in the future.

IF its 3 we are in BIG trouble.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:18 pm

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:47 pm

FYI, Isenberg's Finance Department need only two more gifts to trigger a $10K match.

Please consider donating to the Finance Department, or other department of course, but I'm pulling for my homies. :D :D :D
https://umass.scalefunder.com/gday/givi ... ment/84745
Refuse To Lose!!!

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:31 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:26 pm

To me its one of a few things:
3. People are becoming apathic as it is going to be very hard to win at a high level in the future.

IF its 3 we are in BIG trouble.
What we need is to have someone stay to keep the fans evolved and connected like Toledo's Quiyon Mitchell. Toledo gave him a chance and stayed loyal. During the draft Nick Saban said he was #1 on their portal list but stayed at Toledo. Drafted 1st round #22.
He stuck with his plan to go to college when he didn't qualify out of high school, stuck with Toledo after initially decommitting and stuck around the MAC when lucrative offers came from higher-profile leagues.

In a pre-draft process spent being asked by teams and media why he never chased bigger opportunities, Mitchell flipped the script with his answers. Why would he leave coach Jason Candle's program after everyone there all stuck with him?

"Facts," Mitchell said with a laugh in a phone interview last week. "I feel like Toledo was loyal to me. They gave me that second chance. I feel like I got to develop so much. They made me the person and player I am today."

As much as Mitchell's feel-good, small-school story will resonate Thursday (8 p.m. ET on ESPN/ABC) when he projects as the first cornerback off the board, it might reverberate even more as the years go on. No player from the Group of 5 or FCS got picked in the draft's first round last year, and Mitchell is the only one projected this season. (There were four players picked from outside power leagues in 2021 and in 2022.)
Giving is personal and there are different time frames. When you renew tickets they is a line for the donation on the payment. Don't buy #2 one bit. You can five $5, wtf, can't afford it. The only person you can control is yourself. If you don't donate, that is on you! Of course you can still donate. However the one thing that affects basketball is the calendar and using the fiscal year instead of the calendar year.
Go UMass!!

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:41 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:26 pm To me its one of a few things:
I'm in Camp 2. I don't/can't donate a bunch of money, but the donations I did make this season all went to The Mass Co. I wish I could do more, but I also have a mortgage and 2 kids that I'd like to send to college.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:50 am

The facts:

Men's hoops finished with 64 gifts. Eleven teams received more gifts, led by hockey with 256. Men's hoops raised $24,850.

The Department set a goal on number of gifts for each sport. I don't know how that was done. Only four teams finished with a lower % accomplished vs. the goal. Next to last was football.

It appear that Isenberg raised about half of the $2.4 million campus-wide donations.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:55 am

MikeUMA wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:41 am
PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:26 pm To me its one of a few things:
I'm in Camp 2. I don't/can't donate a bunch of money, but the donations I did make this season all went to The Mass Co. I wish I could do more, but I also have a mortgage and 2 kids that I'd like to send to college.
Appreciate it Mike!

We also now have a tax deductible gift option that is LIVE now but we are officially rolling out next week.

We are partnering with Champions for Literacy (501c3). "Using the power of sports to impact childhood reading. We partner with Athletes, Teams, and Corporate Sponsors to resource and empower kids on their journey to becoming a strong reader."

This partnership allows us to provide a tax-deductible option for giving that also engages Mass Co athletes in the cause of childhood reading. The tax benefit, ability to have a employer match, ability to impact The Mass Co and the local community are WINS across the board.

We will have several events throughout the year at local schools with out athletes. We are looking for individual contributors, but also corporate partners (have 1 signed on already) to really push this partnership to the next level.

Stay tuned for more details. Can contribute here :arrow: https://www.championsforlit.org/?form=umass

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:28 am

Cool. I run a 501c3 and am glad the Collective can play a role in helping steer donations to a good cause. It perhaps also brings up a few general questions about the mission and overall structure of the collective that I raised elsewhere. Sharing here again. Thanks.
JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:29 am
umasscollective wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:32 pm
Quann wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:24 pm This is just plain awful. Like Eldon said they need to make these kids sign a contract for x amount of seasons. Only way to slow down this mess.
We've essentially done that with payment schedules, clawbacks, etc and will continue to trend that way and keep a pulse on the changes.
On the other side of contracts, how are they determined to begin with? Does the collective membership act as, well, a collective and discuss and debate contracts, or does this fall entirely to the director? For example, I think many were surprised Keon entered the portal since he would have been the returning PG and seemingly good with Frank. I’d be curious to know by what criteria how/if returning players are offered contracts or whether the collective has assumed a role in roster construction.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:34 am

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:28 am Cool. I run a 501c3 and am glad the Collective can play a role in helping steer donations to a good cause. It perhaps also brings up a few general questions about the mission and overall structure of the collective that I raised elsewhere. Sharing here again. Thanks.
JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:29 am
umasscollective wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:32 pm

We've essentially done that with payment schedules, clawbacks, etc and will continue to trend that way and keep a pulse on the changes.
On the other side of contracts, how are they determined to begin with? Does the collective membership act as, well, a collective and discuss and debate contracts, or does this fall entirely to the director? For example, I think many were surprised Keon entered the portal since he would have been the returning PG and seemingly good with Frank. I’d be curious to know by what criteria how/if returning players are offered contracts or whether the collective has assumed a role in roster construction.
Sorry if I missed this elsewhere...

All of our meetings are open to members and we discuss Collective business in detail each meeting. We are completely transparent on everything, other than some occasional confidential information (that generally only stays confidential for a short amount of time). We take input and discuss all players and scenarios openly in these meetings. Final contract negotiations and input is handled by a small group of coaches circle members.

With Keon specifically - he was in fact not a good fit. This was shared in a meeting as well, and we wish him the best going forward.

In terms of roster construction, priorities are communicated to us and we act upon them, we do not and would not want input on roster construction. That is up to the coaches.