UMass transfer portal news - 2024

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: UMass transfer portal news - 2024

Post by NilesGold » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:17 pm

NilesGold wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:51 pm I don't think he's in the portal (at least not yet), but Josh Gray is the type of player who might be a great fit. Played for Frank in Frank's last season at South Carolina, doesn't play much, but he could be a solid defensive big man for us.
Gray is now in the portal.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:25 pm

^ This maybe one of the 'good' calls he got earlier this week!

sbloombe
Junior

Post by sbloombe » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:28 pm

tdmass wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:25 pm ^ This maybe one of the 'good' calls he got earlier this week!
I have no inside info but given the FM connection plus Putnam Science makes me think this is highly likely.

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:16 am

DanaDingle3 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:15 pm I was looking forward to seeing Mason play more. Oh, well. I don't understand why people think him transferring is not a surprise. Why would the staff and player spend time building a relationship and investing in each other for him to play a semester as a late addition freshman, then bolt?

Whatever the case, looking forward to seeing how our roster looks this summer. Appreciate Pat's work with the Collective immensely.
Because even though Frank might preach loyalty and roster building, he's not an idiot. If players want to come and go as they please here, he needs to take it in stride and adapt. He can't just see a max exodus and say "Well Tyler's a guy who was probably going to be the 8th/9th guy on my roster who would get 5-10 minutes a game, I promised him PT so I have to stick with him now". He has to do what is right for the team and for himself, and if that's to recruit over Tyler with other guys who have entered the portal, he has to do it.

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:23 am

NilesGold wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:07 pm I would gladly take BABC teammates TJ Power and Reid Ducharme for 1-2 years and let them use UMass as a stepping stone to a big bag elsewhere.
100% and that is the reality we live in now as Umass fans. We can take the guys from the lower conferences who do well and use them for 1-2 years at the end of their careers or as a stepping stone (Cohen) or guys who already tried P6 schools and didn't have much success, to rehab their image/careers (Diggins/Cross). Then see them leave, and repeat the process over again. You see how many players are in the portal now. If we trust Frank's eye for talent, we'll be OK going this route. Sucks as a fan and for continuity, but that's how it goes now. We have to expect at least 50% roster turnover each season moving forward at this point.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:24 pm

natwam2547 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:23 am
NilesGold wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:07 pm I would gladly take BABC teammates TJ Power and Reid Ducharme for 1-2 years and let them use UMass as a stepping stone to a big bag elsewhere.
100% and that is the reality we live in now as Umass fans. We can take the guys from the lower conferences who do well and use them for 1-2 years at the end of their careers or as a stepping stone (Cohen) or guys who already tried P6 schools and didn't have much success, to rehab their image/careers (Diggins/Cross). Then see them leave, and repeat the process over again. You see how many players are in the portal now. If we trust Frank's eye for talent, we'll be OK going this route. Sucks as a fan and for continuity, but that's how it goes now. We have to expect at least 50% roster turnover each season moving forward at this point.
Great reality post. This is where Umass is in the new NIL world. I have faith in Frank to put together a roster every year. What are the dates on when the portal ends and rosters should be more accurate? There’s no point in making predictions on next season until we know the full roster. At least we have 4 rotation players returning. Hopefully Frank can get back to his 10-11 man rotation. I still have some faith that there are players out there who will want to play for a coach with Frank’s style.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:49 pm

Camby4Life wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:24 pm
natwam2547 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:23 am
Great reality post. This is where Umass is in the new NIL world. I have faith in Frank to put together a roster every year. What are the dates on when the portal ends and rosters should be more accurate? There’s no point in making predictions on next season until we know the full roster. At least we have 4 rotation players returning. Hopefully Frank can get back to his 10-11 man rotation. I still have some faith that there are players out there who will want to play for a coach with Frank’s style.
Portal closes May 1, but those already in the portal by then don't need to make a decision by then.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:29 pm

^I'm thinking the portal window should be shortened

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:34 pm

natwam2547 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:16 am
DanaDingle3 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:15 pm I was looking forward to seeing Mason play more. Oh, well. I don't understand why people think him transferring is not a surprise. Why would the staff and player spend time building a relationship and investing in each other for him to play a semester as a late addition freshman, then bolt?

Whatever the case, looking forward to seeing how our roster looks this summer. Appreciate Pat's work with the Collective immensely.
Because even though Frank might preach loyalty and roster building, he's not an idiot. If players want to come and go as they please here, he needs to take it in stride and adapt. He can't just see a max exodus and say "Well Tyler's a guy who was probably going to be the 8th/9th guy on my roster who would get 5-10 minutes a game, I promised him PT so I have to stick with him now". He has to do what is right for the team and for himself, and if that's to recruit over Tyler with other guys who have entered the portal, he has to do it.
This response has a lot of baked-in assumptions. For starters, I don't think Frank promises anyone PT. It's possible Frank doesn't see him to be a contributor moving forward, but I find that incredibly hard to believe after 19 minutes and one semester as a freshman. If I had to guess the reason for him transferring, I'd really just be blindly throwing things out there.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:46 pm

"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

debache
Freshman

Post by debache » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:05 pm

Great sense of humor. I laughed out loud, love it

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:20 am

At least he’s not in the portal

Mykl_18
Freshman

Post by Mykl_18 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:09 am

DanaDingle3 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:34 pm

This response has a lot of baked-in assumptions. For starters, I don't think Frank promises anyone PT. It's possible Frank doesn't see him to be a contributor moving forward, but I find that incredibly hard to believe after 19 minutes and one semester as a freshman. If I had to guess the reason for him transferring, I'd really just be blindly throwing things out there.
If we’re being honest, only 2 of the 7 freshmen freshman from last year were good enough to play here. Worthy, Davis, Foster, Mason, Mojok all had no business being in the A10. Way too many duds for one recruiting class

Mykl_18
Freshman

Post by Mykl_18 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:14 am

Mykl_18 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:09 am
DanaDingle3 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:34 pm

If we’re being honest, only 2 of the 7 freshmen freshman from last year were good enough to play here. Worthy, Davis, Foster, Mason, Mojok all had no business being in the A10. Way too many duds for one recruiting class. I hope 2024 class is much better

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:29 am

You can't really tell with Freshmen if they are junk. Almost all of them suck in the first year.
Refuse To Lose!!!