UMass transfer portal news - 2024

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: UMass transfer portal news - 2024

Post by NilesGold » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:29 pm

69MG wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:26 pm
bobolink wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:32 pm Tyler Mason now in the portal
I look at this 2 ways: Maroon Colored Glasses or "WTF is going on here?"

Maroon - Mason didn't see much action last year. Maybe Frank told him he didn't see an expanded role for him, so Mason moved on. This hopefully means that Frank knows he has 1 or 2 quality bigs coming in.

WTF - This is a total surprise to Frank and Mason doesn't think the team will be competitive next season.

As usual, who knows???
The loss of Tyler Mason will not cause me to panic.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 pm

Maroon - Mason didn't see much action last year. Maybe Frank told him he didn't see an expanded role for him, so Mason moved on. This hopefully means that Frank knows he has 1 or 2 quality bigs coming in.

WTF - This is a total surprise to Frank and Mason doesn't think the team will be competitive next season.

As usual, who knows???
I still want to know what Frank's 2 great calls were about.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 pm

wmmmfan wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:18 pm
umasscollective wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:00 pm
MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:39 pm

If NIL isn't the driving force what is it then? He has a chance to be POY, be thought of as one of the all-time UMass greats, he plays as many minutes as he wants to and he is the only one on the team that can do anything he wants and not feel the wrath of Frank.

Now I'm really confused - I thought it was to get a bag of cash somewhere else - if thats not the case good luck going somewhere else and being basically treated as the next coming.
NIL = Not the driving force, but it is a factor. Playing on a bigger stage, setting self up better for a pro career, etc. Several factors to carefully consider.

Everyone wants him back. But sheesh, let him explore a bit!
Just keep reminding yourself Saratoga is right around the corner Pat!
49 days until Belmont Stakes weekend at the SPA!

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:39 pm

As usual, who knows???
He could be really pissed off - no one knows how it all went down or what was promised but the kid lost a year of eligibility and never saw the floor. I mean I'm sure Frank didn't promise the kid if he came here halfway through the year he would play 30 minutes a game but when we lost Wildens late and then Sawyer even later, lets face it, we were thin upfront so who knows what Frank told him - the little I know Frank something tells me he told him if he worked his ass off he'd get some good PT rather than just telling him to enroll and promise him 30 minutes a game. At the end of the day it was Tylers decision and not knowing what was said, he could have just been pissed off he lost a year and he bolted.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:51 pm

As usual, who knows???
FM seems pretty upbeat these days so my guess is your first assumption is correct.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:43 pm

wmmmfan wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:51 pm

As usual, who knows???
FM seems pretty upbeat these days so my guess is your first assumption is correct.
Three Superman posts and then Mason enters the portal. I’m leaning toward things are looking up for us.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:29 pm

TJ Power has a Superman sounding name. Seems highly highly improbable though.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:31 pm

TJ Power, a 6'9 PF from Duke just entered the portal. He's from Shrewsbury and played for Worcester Academy. He only got 7 minutes a game as a freshman. Maybe he wants more playing time and to be closer to home (these are both wild speculation). Here's part of his bio from Duke:
Rated by 247Sports with five stars as the No. 16 player nationally, the No. 4 power forward and the No. 1 player from the state of Massachusetts
Rated by ESPN with four stars as the No. 32 player nationally, the No. 6 power forward and the No. 1 player from the state of Massachusetts
Named the Massachusetts Gatorade Player of the Year for the 2021-22 season

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:04 pm

UMass really needs to go all in for TJ Power.

Unfortunately though, if he comes to UMass, he’ll use us as a stepping stone and leave in a year or 2. Better than nothing though!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:07 pm

I would gladly take BABC teammates TJ Power and Reid Ducharme for 1-2 years and let them use UMass as a stepping stone to a big bag elsewhere.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 pm

NilesGold wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:07 pm I would gladly take BABC teammates TJ Power and Reid Ducharme for 1-2 years and let them use UMass as a stepping stone to a big bag elsewhere.
Perhaps this is realistic. Two guys that overshot a bit in landing P five and didn't play much but practiced at a very high level. Not sure those guys usually get a lot of NIL money, anyone know? Maybe Franks follows up on the Rahsool success and does this again. Then get another BIG - from Hahvid!!!
Refuse To Lose!!!

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:15 pm

I was looking forward to seeing Mason play more. Oh, well. I don't understand why people think him transferring is not a surprise. Why would the staff and player spend time building a relationship and investing in each other for him to play a semester as a late addition freshman, then bolt?

Whatever the case, looking forward to seeing how our roster looks this summer. Appreciate Pat's work with the Collective immensely.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:19 pm

DanaDingle3 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:15 pm I was looking forward to seeing Mason play more. Oh, well. I don't understand why people think him transferring is not a surprise. Why would the staff and player spend time building a relationship and investing in each other for him to play a semester as a late addition freshman, then bolt?

Whatever the case, looking forward to seeing how our roster looks this summer. Appreciate Pat's work with the Collective immensely.
It was a mild surprise to me as well. The three guys who I thought were the most likely to leave, haven't done so yet... Foster, Majok, and Worthy.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:32 pm

Niles, glad to say I agree with you on the 3 most likely transfers. Worthy never seemed comfortable, Foster hardly played and Majok is a long term project. Of the 3, I felt less likely that Majok would transfer unless he went down a couple of levels. I kind of hope he stays because if he ever figures it out he would give us something we have never seen. But that's a long shot.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:57 pm

NilesGold wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:07 pm I would gladly take BABC teammates TJ Power and Reid Ducharme for 1-2 years and let them use UMass as a stepping stone to a big bag elsewhere.
I’m right there with ya