First reaction: UMass to the MAC

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

What do you think on UMass Athletics moving to the MAC?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:56 pm

I'm primarily a Hoops person and I LOVE it
4%
I'm primarily a Hoops person and I like it
4%
I'm primarily a Hoops person and I'm meh on it
7%
I'm primarily a Hoops person and I don't like it
12%
I'm primarily a Hoops person and I HATE it
19%
I'm primarily a Football person and I LOVE it
3%
I'm primarily a Football person and I like it
3%
I'm primarily a Football person and I'm meh on it
1%
I'm primarily a Football person and I don't like it
No votes
I'm primarily a Football person and I HATE it
No votes
I'm an all UM sports person and I LOVE it
8%
I'm an all UM sports person and I like it
17%
I'm an all UM sports person and I'm meh on it
15%
I'm an all UM sports person and I don't like it
2%
I'm an all UM sports person and I HATE it
5%

Total votes: 113

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Re: First reaction: UMass to the MAC

Post by Steve81 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:52 am

inthescoop wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:43 am
e_parade wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:05 am Bamford apparently said there's potential for MAC to start soccer back up, and a couple of the MAC schools have very good programs there (especially Akron).
I remember growing up and Akron was creme de le creme in college soccer - had no idea they moved to the Big East for soccer, or the MAC dismissed soccer altogether.
Yes to both. 69MG, the MAC media contract may go way up, but with a potential GOR attached. Some are talking 2M per school, on top of the 1.7M CFP plus NCAA credits on total 4M per school.

Could also see a further pacification of the power conferences from breaking away. Changing the equal weight assignment of NCAA credits. This is just a an example of how they can keep more of the money as with the 91% in CFP money. Opening round of NCAA 1/4 credit, field of 32 1/2 credit, sweet sixteen 1 credit, elite eight 1.5 credits, final four 2 credits, championship game 2.5 credits.
Go UMass!!

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:50 pm

69MG wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:30 am If anyone thinks this is a permanent move, you are not in the real world. First, in 5 years the conference landscape will look nothing like it looks today. Second, this has always been a steppingstone move, hoping that success in BB and FB leads to a better invite. Success in BB is 20+ wins and in the title game at least 50% of the time. Football just needs to be respectable (6 wins?).

So I'm not going to fret over this, even though I am much more of a BB guy than FB.
Even if we are here until 2035 I don’t mind. We needed a football home and I predict a10 basketball will lose top tier programs over the next five years.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:17 pm

Well with Clemson now suing the ACC in addition to FSU, we might be in a bit of a wait and see mode for the next round of conference disintegrations (who will follow suit and leave for the SEC/B1G and will it have ramifications on the AAC to grabe teams like USF, Memphis, and Tulane and then what might happen in the AAC)?

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:37 pm

Quann wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:50 pm
69MG wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:30 am If anyone thinks this is a permanent move, you are not in the real world. First, in 5 years the conference landscape will look nothing like it looks today. Second, this has always been a steppingstone move, hoping that success in BB and FB leads to a better invite. Success in BB is 20+ wins and in the title game at least 50% of the time. Football just needs to be respectable (6 wins?).

So I'm not going to fret over this, even though I am much more of a BB guy than FB.
Even if we are here until 2035 I don’t mind. We needed a football home and I predict a10 basketball will lose top tier programs over the next five years.
I just hope I'm here in 2035 to see how things unfold. :lol: :lol:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:39 pm

^
Since I'm a year or two older than you, that makes 2 of us. :D

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:43 pm

Glad we took the MAC deal that has a very realistic 3-4 or more payout to each university. CFP 1.7M plus NCAA Credits, plus the 10M media contract that expires in 2026-27. Some think the contract could at least double and be closer to 2M per school with ESPN. The last renewal went from 1.3M to 8M for the remainder of the existing contract and then 10 years or 100M.
https://www.crainscleveland.com/article ... ough-2027#

LS71 and 69MG, do hope you both are around in 2035. Quann, very true possibilities in your post, But think the A10 will just lose 1 team, unless the AAC does take VCU. Doubt the later, but who knows.
Go UMass!!

pk77
Sophomore

Post by pk77 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:07 pm

its interesting how all the people that argue that UMASS basketball moving into the MAC is not a big step down for the BBall program and that the level of play in the MAC is not all that bad. But you all have us now winning 20 plus games every year . WOW how does a team that has only won 20 + games once in the last 10 years all of sudden becomes a 20 + win team each year if the talent level in the big MAC does not suck !!

Our 15 win average team (over the last 10 years), now is becoming a 20+ win team. Wow I can't wait to go see these low talent games !!

Aren't we going to lose revenue dollars from basketball TV contracts due to this drop ? and basketball plays twice as many games as football.

There had to be a better solution than this, specially after all the years Bamford has been working on this project.
Can we please move on from Bamford...... why has no other school scooped up this young talented Athletic leader ?
Hopefully Bamford is working on finding a new basketball coach, as Frank is going to be leaving in a year.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:45 am

pk77 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:07 pm its interesting how all the people that argue that UMASS basketball moving into the MAC is not a big step down for the BBall program and that the level of play in the MAC is not all that bad. But you all have us now winning 20 plus games every year . WOW how does a team that has only won 20 + games once in the last 10 years all of sudden becomes a 20 + win team each year if the talent level in the big MAC does not suck !!
You are right that we shouldn't expect the MAC to be a cakewalk. As has been previously mentioned, multiple MAC basketball programs are more accomplished than UMass the past couple decades. So you're right, it's not a huge step down such that we should expect any easy victories. But hopefully, there will be more success than we've had in the 21st century A-10.

Regarding the rest of your post...I would suggest you calm down a bit and stop projecting your feelings onto everyone else (including the coach, who has publicly supported this move). If you miss the other A-10 teams that much, keep in mind that UMass will likely maintain some of the more interesting rivalries as out of conference games. UMass needed to make this move for valid reasons, and hopefully, if we start to see more success as a result, you will be able to get over your attachment to the A-10.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:18 am

Stop feeding the troll.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Mike0473
Junior

Post by Mike0473 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:58 pm

I think the move to the MAC is most definitely a big step down for basketball. But, if this move is needed to eventually get into a better position in some other future conference, than we have to live it for now.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:15 pm

I think most of us have said that the MAC conference overall is a step down. That being said the A-10 hasn't exactly been lighting it up lately in the tournament and again we have 1 tourney appearance in 26 years. Stop acting like we've been successful in the A-10 or the conference affiliation has helped us get any real results.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:13 pm

I think the expectation is that we have the best facilities, best investment, and the best NIL. We all hope that leads us to be very competitive every year.

Mike0473
Junior

Post by Mike0473 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:17 pm

Quann wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:15 pm I think most of us have said that the MAC conference overall is a step down. That being said the A-10 hasn't exactly been lighting it up lately in the tournament and again we have 1 tourney appearance in 26 years. Stop acting like we've been successful in the A-10 or the conference affiliation has helped us get any real results.
I think most have accepted the move. You are very right to point out the Umass results over the past 26 years. In part, those results have lead to being relegated to the MAC. That said, it is also an opportunity to rebuild the program and build some hope for the future.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:38 am

Interesting letter to the editor in this morning's Republican. Not sure if it'll open correctly here.

If so, scroll down to the last letter.

https://enewssr.repub.com/data/46241/re ... lb/2445083

I was unable to copy it to paste here.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

GOODY
Junior

Post by GOODY » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:01 pm

Agree with fact A10 isn’t great and won’t be probably! MAC for football gives a shot at better future! Bb

Basketball Can’t be much worse for us based on recent past ! Should compete for top each year !