Game 27, 2023-24: St. Bonaventure (2/24)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
stevemaz
Senior

Re: Game 27, 2023-24: St. Bonaventure (2/24)

Post by stevemaz » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:27 am

on Leveque i think he should have left April 1 so FM would have time to grab another big. It is clear we need one more big body to eat minutes and play defense.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:16 am

Camby4Life wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:06 pm It’s tough to win games with shooting percentages of 40/28/63 while also getting out rebounded and more turnovers. Even with those numbers, the Bonnies didn’t really play a great game and gave Umass many opportunities to win at home. I think the Umass defense and overall lack of execution on defense all game led to the loss. Bonnie’s were running the same couple of plays all day, we couldn’t stop the pick and roll or the backdoor screens and cuts. It was the most predictable offense we have gone against all year. Maybe it was a coincidence with Monty and the other alums in the house, but it really reminded me of the Umass twirl offense of that era and just running the same plays every set.

3 point percentage was awful yet they kept jacking them up. It is really hard to not take them in the flow of the game, I get that, but they forced at least a few of them. Diggins made 2 (2 of 8) nobody else made more than 1. Foul Shooting was terrible again too.

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:32 am

Bonnie’s did a good job of disrupting the flex screens and defending the post. Umass was so cold from 3 it just never opened up.

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:44 am

63% from the FT line didn't help (again!!)

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:37 am

The last 5 minutes were pure laziness on the boards. 3 or 4 guys were in position for every defensive rebound but none of them would put a body on a Bonnie. That type of stuff is so frustrating to watch.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:40 am

eldonabe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:16 am
Camby4Life wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:06 pm It’s tough to win games with shooting percentages of 40/28/63 while also getting out rebounded and more turnovers. Even with those numbers, the Bonnies didn’t really play a great game and gave Umass many opportunities to win at home. I think the Umass defense and overall lack of execution on defense all game led to the loss. Bonnie’s were running the same couple of plays all day, we couldn’t stop the pick and roll or the backdoor screens and cuts. It was the most predictable offense we have gone against all year. Maybe it was a coincidence with Monty and the other alums in the house, but it really reminded me of the Umass twirl offense of that era and just running the same plays every set.

3 point percentage was awful yet they kept jacking them up. It is really hard to not take them in the flow of the game, I get that, but they forced at least a few of them. Diggins made 2 (2 of 8) nobody else made more than 1. Foul Shooting was terrible again too.
That is just basketball now, whether it's college or pros. Like Joe Mazzulla says, 3 point attempts is the most important stat to the Celtics for each game. More analytics BS and it makes for a horrible product when you're only making 3s at a 30% clip and you just keep jacking them up.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:05 pm

Bona played very physical and I think wore us down. Fatigue plays a part in missed shots & FTs. Guys were dragging a bit, you could see it
Time to Win

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:18 pm

Quann wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:40 am
eldonabe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:16 am

That is just basketball now, whether it's college or pros. Like Joe Mazzulla says, 3 point attempts is the most important stat to the Celtics for each game. More analytics BS and it makes for a horrible product when you're only making 3s at a 30% clip and you just keep jacking them up.
Weird though - Bona only took 16 3's and made more freethrows .... AND THEY WON THE GAME????

And yes the 3PT percentage is a huge stat, lots of dead possessions especially when you get outrebounded to boot.

This is where Frank fails constantly IMO. I do understand you need to take those shots (if for nothing else) to free up other lanes, but when you are not making them, adjust your fucking game plan a little bit. I am sorry, but he is living the definition of insanity with their end of game play .....

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:59 pm

Floyd wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:05 pm Bona played very physical and I think wore us down. Fatigue plays a part in missed shots & FTs. Guys were dragging a bit, you could see it
And that is why it was important to get Mason some playing time so he would be ready for a game like this. He plays very tentatively because he is on a short leash. 1 mistake and he's out for the game. Well, when you haven't played much you are going to make a mistake here and there. We needed a bit more size to bang with them.

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:14 pm

^
When you miss point blank shots and are not prepared for passes in the lane, you are going to spend a lot of time on bench. He doesn't really do himself any favors when he is on the floor and that's the body of work that is provided.
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:15 pm

Okay coach. Tell us how many mistakes you're going to tolerate before replacing the mistake prone player who is costing your team the game. For example missing open shots is not a mistake I would want the Coach to tolerate neither is missing defensive assigments or making dumb fouls. Those things can be cleaned up in practice but I would have little tolerance for it in a game.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:46 pm

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think Mason has been given enough of an opportunity to show us if he can contribute. When I compare his court sense to Majok's (probably an unfair comparison), he is way ahead. I do feel that our guys are starting to show fatigue at the end of games and Frank needs to do a better job of managing minutes. I think Mason can give us 8-10 minutes and we may need that in the A10 tourney.

In the SBU game, it wasn't just minutes, it was the constant banging that wore our bigs down. Normally, we have an advantage when the refs "let the guys play", but SBU can play that way and rotate their 2 monster centers. They pretty much beat us at our own game; rebounding and hustle.

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:05 pm

Jack wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:15 pm Okay coach. Tell us how many mistakes you're going to tolerate before replacing the mistake prone player who is costing your team the game. For example missing open shots is not a mistake I would want the Coach to tolerate neither is missing defensive assigments or making dumb fouls. Those things can be cleaned up in practice but I would have little tolerance for it in a game.
Take literally any player...Lebron on down and tell them they are going to be pulled after one mistake and not see the court again and see how they play. That scenario breeds mistakes because you can't just play ball. You think too much and the game is way to fast for that.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:22 pm

We just don't match up well against them. Their guards are good and experienced. Their bigs are big and strong dudes. It's just not an easy matchup for us, especially if we get in foul trouble up front

And Schmidt is a good coach

That being said, we can beat them
Time to Win

CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:09 pm

At 66-66 the Bonnies called a timeout. I was out of my seat like a lot of people as it felt like one of those timeouts where the fans never sit down until play resumes. However some techno pop song came on and literally sucked the energy out of the building. If Shout by Otis Day and the Knights came on the place would have gone nuts. How about during time outs there is a Dance Cam and a "Get up and dance with the UMass Dance Team". Keep the energy going in the crowd.

Otherwise than the L it was an excellent day on campus and in town. I called 866UMASSTIX on Tuesday and got 10th the row at exact center court behind the TV guys. Beer lines werent too bad. We parked in the visitor lot across from Isenberg so no trouble getting in or out. I like to walk campus anyways....reminds me of 40 years ago in 1984 when I was a senior! Went uptown to the White Lion and DP Dough post game.

Lets get the W tomorrow and build momentum for Brooklyn. Have a good week people! Go UMass

Rudy: We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. We're gonna get 'em on the run boys and once we get 'em on the run we're gonna keep 'em on the run. And then we're gonna go go go go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline. This is a team they say is... is good, well I think we're better than them. They can't lick us, so what do you say men?