KAEO: Jaylen Curry

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
umasscollective
Junior

Re: KAEO: Jaylen Curry

Post by umasscollective » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:33 am

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:01 am my hope with Curry is P5's will view him as too small and he'll be back next year. Then again P5's might be willing to throw a bag of cash at him and not really play him next year in hopes he'll get stronger and by Junior year he'll be able to hold his own against bigger more physical guards.

This probably a question for The Collective - but other than money, what other types of things can be done to keep these kids here? For example - I see RJ doing all kinds of things on Twitter for Applebees and other restaurants in the NY area - was that part of his deal - we'll give you $100K cash but we'll also set you up with some contracts with local franchise restaurants - or a car dealership who'll give you a car, etc...is any of that legal when it comes to NIL?

I know when Cal was here and even Brusier and possibly DK - Fathers and Sons would give them cars - have to believe that would be appealing to an 18-19 year old to be driving an Audi or some kind of luxury car - on top of whatever money the Collective can throw at them.
As long as any benefit is part of an NIL deal and is in exchange for work preformed, it is allowed. Not familiar with the intricacies of RJ's deal at St. Johns, but our athletes promote local business partners of the Mass Co and our deals are non-exclusive so we can help facilitate other deals and encourage athletes to pursue them.

Car deals would be great, but come with a massive amount of liability and a prohibitive insurance cost, to the point where they don't really make sense. But we are still exploring options like this.

We are always looking for other ways to enhance our deals and the student athletes experience. If anyone has connections or ideas, please reach out! [email protected]

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:35 am

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:03 pm
Floyd wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:25 pm
MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:01 am have to believe that would be appealing to an 18-19 year old to be driving an Audi or some kind of luxury car - on top of whatever money the Collective can throw at them.
It's appealing to me and I'm not 18-19 :lol:

My hope is Frank keeps bringing in elite talent and guys like Curry stick around to play together and bounce UMass back into the spotlight. Imagine another run like Cal had? Those teams were rock stars. Frank is no mediocre coach. If you're a kid with high talent, and you want a coach to teach and push you to be your best, you stick with Frank. Long term returns
my other concern is Frank gets sick of this shit and retires - he busts his ass out on the recruiting trail only to have these kids get snatched up by a P5 school with a bag of cash. You can't tell me he wasn't PISSED OFF when RJ left - I know he says he understands the process but if he keeps getting kids like RJ, Gapare, Curry etc - and they leave after a year I can see Frank saying the hell with it - what am I doing killing myself out here. The only way I can see kids like Curry or RJ sticking around UMass is if somehow they are Top 25 and they see they have a chance to be really special if they stick it out. Frank has been very clear that he likes to recruit and bring in his style of recruits and watch them get better year over year - he hates the turnover going on right now.
The game has evolved and will continue to evolve. Adapt or die.

As we have said before, this is the best team in 10 years at UMass and has incredible potential and a great class coming in. I think Coach Martin and staff are doing a pretty darn good job adapting.

NOW as FANS - Its our job to adapt as well, embrace and support NIL > www.TheMassCollective.com/join

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:27 pm

Ok, I just finally joined with a monthly subscription.

You should have team bobbleheads! That would be fun...

Curry sure is making a case for NIL support. He has come a long way under Frank Martin and staff. Great to see!!!
Refuse To Lose!!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:52 am

I meant to say this after the Loyola game... it is nice to see someone be able to hit pull-up jumpers. I have no stats to back this up, but Curry just seems to be able to regularly hit them.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:27 am

Think about this. Jalen and Keon both listed at 6'. Jalen 160 lbs, Keon 210. Imagine Jaylen with another 10-15 lbs on him. Keon, get him in the weight room! 8)

2 very different PGs, but I think it's a great combo to have

Keon would make a great OLB for Don Brown. Crazy athlete with great strength.
Time to Win

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:41 am

Rahsool also has a really nice midrange game. He has a good ability to carve out a little space and get that shot up. I think defenses are playing them to drive to the basket, so once the defense backs off to protect the rim, they just take that little pullup jumper and it's been really effective. I hope Robert Davis is taking notes when he watches those two guys, because that could be a way for him to find his shot.

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:29 am

I felt the same way about Rashool and even posted as such. And then he hit a shooting slump. Hopefully he has regained his confidence because we will need him to keep shooting.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:33 am

I've said it a bunch of times, our success depends on how well the guards play. Although Josh has had a couple of down games, he has been good 90% of the time. You know what you get from Matt and DHS is starting to give us 6 & 6 or more each game. We need 3 guards out of 6 to put us over the top.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:53 pm

69MG wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:33 am I've said it a bunch of times, our success depends on how well the guards play. Although Josh has had a couple of down games, he has been good 90% of the time. You know what you get from Matt and DHS is starting to give us 6 & 6 or more each game. We need 3 guards out of 6 to put us over the top.
I’ve seen it mentioned a couple times now but I don’t feel Josh has had any ‘bad’ games…he had 2 games in a row where he stats were way down but both of those came against teams whose whole game plan was to stop him(coming off his showing in Hawaii) and that opened up other areas and UMass was able to win going away. I won’t say he was very good in those games but I think he definitely helped win those games by drawing so much attention…GW tried to do the same thing and he was able to get 15 pts but he really worked hard for them.
There are many ways to contribute to winning besides the regular stats of pts, rebs and assists(Jaden does it every game)…I think Cohen would be just as happy with 2 pts or 22pts if the team wins.
Also, someone mentioned meeting Hankins-Sanford and remarking that he has a great personality…I would like to second that, he is an incredible kid to talk to….his spirit is just another piece of what it is that makes this team enjoyable to watch.

WillHerndonFan
Junior

Post by WillHerndonFan » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:31 am

TheOFFSeason wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:53 pm
69MG wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:33 am I've said it a bunch of times, our success depends on how well the guards play. Although Josh has had a couple of down games, he has been good 90% of the time. You know what you get from Matt and DHS is starting to give us 6 & 6 or more each game. We need 3 guards out of 6 to put us over the top.
I’ve seen it mentioned a couple times now but I don’t feel Josh has had any ‘bad’ games…he had 2 games in a row where he stats were way down but both of those came against teams whose whole game plan was to stop him(coming off his showing in Hawaii) and that opened up other areas and UMass was able to win going away. I won’t say he was very good in those games but I think he definitely helped win those games by drawing so much attention…GW tried to do the same thing and he was able to get 15 pts but he really worked hard for them.
There are many ways to contribute to winning besides the regular stats of pts, rebs and assists(Jaden does it every game)…I think Cohen would be just as happy with 2 pts or 22pts if the team wins.
Also, someone mentioned meeting Hankins-Sanford and remarking that he has a great personality…I would like to second that, he is an incredible kid to talk to….his spirit is just another piece of what it is that makes this team enjoyable to watch.
After seeing the Hankins interview at the half of GW game this kid reminds me of Lou Roe off and on the court. Just a great person who is about the team and buys into Franks program. I always remember Lou as a big kid off the court when I was a senior RA at JQA and he was a freshman resident. One night Lou came to the RA desk and asked if he could a backup to his room and I said what is your Room # and he said Room 10 something and I said isn’t that bball player Kennard Robinson room. I then said Lou I go every game and see you everyday so I know who is who. He just gave me a big grin so I gave him a key!

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:07 am

Curry's NIL deal has been extended. Great news for some roster continuity, especially for one of the A10 Rookie Team members.

Thanks to Pat and TheMassCo for the work.
https://twitter.com/TheMassCo/status/17 ... 9116973350

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:16 am

What?!?! Outstanding!

I thought for sure he was a goner. He didn't have the outstanding freshman campaign that RJ Luis did (at least in my view), but he made the A10 all freshman team and I thought he would get poached. Great job by The Collective and all the donors (including me, patting myself on the back), and if Jaylen sees this, I'm thrilled to see you back in Amherst next season. Having him and DHS is a solid 1-2 punch in the front and back court. Let's keep building this thing.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:50 am

Juice Stand wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:16 am What?!?! Outstanding!

I thought for sure he was a goner. He didn't have the outstanding freshman campaign that RJ Luis did (at least in my view), but he made the A10 all freshman team and I thought he would get poached. Great job by The Collective and all the donors (including me, patting myself on the back), and if Jaylen sees this, I'm thrilled to see you back in Amherst next season. Having him and DHS is a solid 1-2 punch in the front and back court. Let's keep building this thing.
Why did you think Curry was a goner? Especially after the Keon Thompson transfer. That only solidified it for me that he would stay at UMass.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:59 am

Because we've all seen this movie before. Talented player comes to UMass and then gets poached by a bigger school. It happened with Tre, RJ, and Cohen, and I think Jaylen could garner that kind of high major interest. I also have no clue how much is in the NIL pool, so I'm under the assumption that if guys want to get paid, they'll go elsewhere, but maybe, just maybe, in The Collective's 2nd year, they're starting to build a nice little war chest and reaching their goal of being one of the top A10 NIL funds.

I'm thrilled that he signed. If we can keep Cross, Rashsool, and Jayden, that's one heck of a starting 5.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:11 pm

^ I love all 5 guys you mentioned but that is not a great starting 5. No rim protection, mediocre rebounding, limited 3 point shooting and we will get killed by any team that has a dominant center. We need a solid big to replace Josh. I might be wrong, but we all have different views on how to build a team.