KAEO Josh Cohen

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
capezona
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO Josh Cohen

Post by capezona » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:23 pm

If anyone has some time to waste, it would be interesting (to me) if you counted how many "yelling Frank" posts there are. Then again, maybe it would be in the irrelevant statistics category.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:29 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:29 pm The last I'll say on this since this is a Josh Cohen thread: FM screaming and yelling is not a big deal. And if he somehow wins NCs here, 99% of the people here will love him regardless of his "demeanor" during that time. You're lying to yourself if you think otherwise.
100000000%

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:08 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:10 pm
eldonabe wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:58 pm

IV - He wasn't referring to the yelling... it was the physical stuff.

This gets lumped in, yes, and I assumed that was part of it (it always is), but the post was pretty clear it was referring to the yelling part and that's what I focused on.

Cross, Thompson and Diggins have experienced it. If they didn't like it, they would have left like the other (mostly) bums did. They accept it. All the new guys shouldn't be blind to the fact that this is his coaching style (Davis even came out and defended him and said this is what he wanted) since they are all his recruits. As long as he doesn't become Mike Rice or Bob Knight, I think we should be OK.
How was my post "pretty clear" that I was referring to the yelling only? I plainly stated that these guys knew what they were getting with Frank and his coaching style, so it shouldn't come as a surprise. If anything, I was siding with Frank and his coaching style and how it should resonate with "his guys". I have 0 problem with tough coaching/tough love. Crossing a line like Knight did, is unacceptable. I also mentioned Mike Rice as an example which you conveniently skipped over. You know the guy who fired balls at players and grabbed and pushed them and belittled them constantly. That should have made the fact that I was referring to more than just yelling "pretty clear", but you cherry picked my comment to start an unneeded argument with a sarcastic remark because you were bored I guess. I guess I can play that game too and say IV's good with crossing the line into physical confrontations as long as it leads to championships! Win at all costs guys! :roll:
Last edited by natwam2547 on Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:10 pm

Upstate10 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:29 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:29 pm The last I'll say on this since this is a Josh Cohen thread: FM screaming and yelling is not a big deal. And if he somehow wins NCs here, 99% of the people here will love him regardless of his "demeanor" during that time. You're lying to yourself if you think otherwise.
100000000%
I mean...no shit? Again I know some are sensitive to the yelling which makes some posters on here sensitive to the yelling becoming a talking point. That was not nearly what I was getting at so congrats on the poor reading comprehension.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:21 pm

This belongs in airing of the grievances thread :lol:
Time to Win

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:30 pm

natwam2547 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:10 pm
Upstate10 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:29 am
100000000%
I mean...no shit? Again I know some are sensitive to the yelling which makes some posters on here sensitive to the yelling becoming a talking point. That was not nearly what I was getting at so congrats on the poor reading comprehension.
I don't even know what your wrote in this thread so leave me out of it lol

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:07 am

Back to Cohen think we saw his limits tonight. He struggled with an athletic big and he offers very little rim protection due to his negative athleticism

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:02 am

He definitely has limits, every player does, but I'm very happy with what I've seen from him so far. He's very active and vocal, he works his tail off, and he has such a smooth touch. I'm definitely a Cohen fan.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:07 am

+1 His pedigree as a conference player of the year tells me, he will continue put the work in to improve and help the team in conference.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:41 am

Very happy w Cohen. Think Frank would ideally play double bigs, w more rim protection, but we're thin up front. Losing Wildens, and then Mayhugh, hurt.

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:31 am

I know that I am in the minority here but, I don't think that Cohen is that good. Certainly has not impressed. Yeah, he's put up some big numbers through 6 games but, against inferior teams.

He's soft in the paint, can disappear for long stretches and outside of posting up, there doesn't seem to be another dimension to his game. His defense is ok but, at his height, I would expect more rebounds and blocked shots. I can see that he does cause opponents to have to alter their shot, which results in misses and rebound opportunities. But I just don't see / get what all the hype is about him.

He can't be the offensive anchor without Cross on the floor as well to take pressure off him. He doesn't seem skilled enough to handle the pressure when he is the sole big man on the floor.

We'll see what happens over the next few games against improved competition. People are going to point to last year and what he did against marquee teams in the tournament. But, just like the football team raising their game against P5 teams, I think that it's the same with Cohen. I don't think that he can sustain that production for a full year against good teams.

If his production dips at UMass from prior years, I can see people blaming Frank for being to overbearing. But it is also just as possible that against decent talent, he's just not there. Who knows, I guess we'll see as the year progresses. Hope that I am wrong.
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:45 am

I fully expected his numbers to come down a bit from years past... he is technically taking a step up coming to UMass. I think the big factors relating to whether that is a small drop or a big drop is dependent on how the team plays overall. He'll get a ton more opportunities if other guys are hitting shots and threats, and the team overall isn't turning the ball over. If he is less of a focus of the other team's defensive scheme and can get more touches, he'll produce.

The one thing we've not seem with our own eyes is that he does have a knack for awkwardly getting the ball in the bucket. He's a bit wonky out there, but it works.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:46 pm

He is exactly what we thought he would be. Nobody thought he would be an elite defender. His rebounding has been about what I expected, and he was brought in to give some scoring down low. His low for the year is 8 points. Wildens averaged 5.5 points and 4.6 boards. He would have been a good backup for Josh and maybe would allow us to play 2 bigs with Matt at the 3 for stretches.

Bottom line, Josh is doing what we brought him in here to do and it's up to Frank to figure out how to give him some help on D.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:48 pm

Josh did an interview with "The Field of 68 - A10 Insider". For me it's a must listen. He talks about entering the transfer portal, why he chose UMass, what it's like to play for Frank Martin and much more.
https://twitter.com/TheFieldOf68/status ... 1325534225

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:23 am

69MG wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:48 pm Josh did an interview with "The Field of 68 - A10 Insider". For me it's a must listen. He talks about entering the transfer portal, why he chose UMass, what it's like to play for Frank Martin and much more.
https://twitter.com/TheFieldOf68/status ... 1325534225
Josh is first class all the way and has been great to work with going back to our first conversation in April.

If you haven't yet listened to our Podcast episode with him, here it is > https://www.podserve.fm/series/website/ ... 101/119232

We need all the support we can get to recruit and retain other players like Josh! > www.themasscollective.com/join