Game 30, 2022-23: St. Bonaventure (Senior Day, 3/4)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
LS71
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 30, 2022-23: St. Bonaventure (Senior Day, 3/4)

Post by LS71 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:02 am

Leveque’s best game of the season! Hope to see his quality play carry over to the tournament… 8)
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:13 pm

Old Cage wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:29 am ^ Our bigs played 53 minutes, meaning that they were both on the court for 13 minutes. I commented on that on twitter, liking what I was seeing. A tad late, perhaps, but maybe we discovered something.
I feel like they have been doing this for the past few games - since Brandon got hurt its been Kante and Wildens starting - IMO - mixed results - but yesterday it worked

Kind of confused when you say they were both on the court for 13 minutes? I'd kinda be surprised if thats all the time they were both on the court at the same time

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:28 pm

If we had Woodley, we would have seen them both more often together.

Frank likes bigs but the rest of the conference has solid bigs too. Losing Noah, we haven't had a backcourt to support what Frank seems to have tried to build.

Diggins had a nice game and Keon has really improved. With what we have coming in, I think the backcourt won't be a problem next year, at least relative to the frontcourt.

We are surely going to be in the hunt for another accomplished big for next year, especially if Wildens doesn't return. I wish the transfer portal wasn't so important to our success going forward but it will be again this year.

Maybe Gianni will start to develop. Hope he follows the example of DD!

Lot of development came out of this season. DD, Diggins, RJ and Keon all came a long way from what we saw the first time they wore the UMass uniform. Gapare has a ways to go but was a late start with less experience against high-level competition. He showed flashes against weak competition in lower conferences but got a tough learning experience in conference. He played 29 games so far and now knows what lies ahead of him.
Refuse To Lose!!!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:24 pm

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:13 pm
Old Cage wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:29 am ^ Our bigs played 53 minutes, meaning that they were both on the court for 13 minutes. I commented on that on twitter, liking what I was seeing. A tad late, perhaps, but maybe we discovered something.
I feel like they have been doing this for the past few games - since Brandon got hurt its been Kante and Wildens starting - IMO - mixed results - but yesterday it worked

Kind of confused when you say they were both on the court for 13 minutes? I'd kinda be surprised if thats all the time they were both on the court at the same time
They started playing together when Frank said he was going with guys who were less selfish during the Loyola game, I think.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:39 pm

Just a couple things I haven't seen mentioned yet.

1) Did you see Frank yelling at Keon when he was going back to the bench, and Keon just blowing right by him? That concerned me a bit. After that moment, Keon saw maybe 2 minutes more of action. Understandable, given how Rahsool was playing, but that didn't look good.

2) TJ's effort - that floor burn/assist was the highlight of the night for me. He made a bunch of other great hustle plays as well! I was super happy for him. Hope it's not his last home game in a UMass uniform, but if it is, I wish him all the best!

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:52 pm

Plano Minuteman wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:39 pm Just a couple things I haven't seen mentioned yet.

1) Did you see Frank yelling at Keon when he was going back to the bench, and Keon just blowing right by him? That concerned me a bit. After that moment, Keon saw maybe 2 minutes more of action. Understandable, given how Rahsool was playing, but that didn't look good.

2) TJ's effort - that floor burn/assist was the highlight of the night for me. He made a bunch of other great hustle plays as well! I was super happy for him. Hope it's not his last home game in a UMass uniform, but if it is, I wish him all the best!
There is not one kid who stops to chat with Frank while he is yelling at them - they all keep on walking right by him - nothing to worry about at all

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:10 pm

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:13 pm

Isn't that the way the math works out? The center position has 40 minutes of time. They played 53 (29 and 24). Unless you know that there were minutes where neither were playing, they had 13 when both were on the floor. Or??
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."