KAEO Matt Cross

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Upstate10
Senior

Re: KAEO Matt Cross

Post by Upstate10 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:41 pm

Are we done pretending that there is a chance that he comes back?

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:05 pm

Upstate10 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:41 pm Are we done pretending that there is a chance that he comes back?
There is a chance he still comes back.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:14 pm

umasscollective wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:05 pm
Upstate10 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:41 pm Are we done pretending that there is a chance that he comes back?
There is a chance he still comes back.
I will believe as long as you tell me to believe. Greatly appreciate the transparency.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:19 pm

I can see Cross playing for either of those schools.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:40 pm

He's still my favorite player in college hoops right now.

Can we get more of these guys?

I think we can. Hoping we already have someone lined up. Sounds like that is the case but I'm hoping for Cross like impact and leading by example.

We need THAT
Refuse To Lose!!!

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:29 am

If you're looking for someone to lead by example, I think that torch has been passed to Diggins and Ndjigue. I'm not holding out hope for Matt to come back. I thank him for his two outstanding years and wish him luck. He's one transfer that I'll definitely keep an eye on and root for.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:09 am

I really believe Matt will be back. On the latest podcast Frank talked about legacy and how you can't go to 3/4 schools and come back and be a legend. He never mentioned Matt's name but I have to believe he had a conversation with Matt about this. I don't doubt he told Matt to test the waters and do whats best for him, but I also think he left that door wide open for him to come back. I also think the way the Collective is talking they think there is a good chance he'll be back - and I think they probably know it s a better chance than they are even saying publicly.

I also wonder if the timing of announcing the TBT will not be competing in this years tournament has anything to do with Cross? Did this now free up another 25-50K they could offer him? If it did I'm all for it - as nice as it was to see some old UMass players play last summer - I'd much rather see Matt back so I'm all for it!

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:02 am

Just based on what I see on the court, Cross just wants to win and make the tourney in his last year. We're not in a position to do that at the moment, but if we can get a couple guys out of the portal that give us a reasonable chance of making it. I think Cross would be in.

The 2 guys would be a 2 guard/wing that can shoot about 35+ percent from 3 and plays solid D, and another frontcourt player than can protect the rim and has enough offensive chops to keep defenses honest.

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:47 am

stevemaz wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:34 pm I will be rooting for him.. he gave us two good years and that says a lot these days.
I wish I could say this is hyperbole, but it's not. If a player gives you 2, you have to say thank you and move on in today's landscape. Same with Keon. Except I think Keon is still probably better suited here alongside Curry, whereas Cross I get trying to "get that bag" for one more year.
Last edited by natwam2547 on Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:47 am

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:09 am I also wonder if the timing of announcing the TBT will not be competing in this years tournament has anything to do with Cross? Did this now free up another 25-50K they could offer him? If it did I'm all for it - as nice as it was to see some old UMass players play last summer - I'd much rather see Matt back so I'm all for it!
Where did you see that? Like you, I enjoyed the process leading up to the TBT and seeing those guys get back together, but if I'm donating to the collective, I probably want my dollars spent on helping build a roster with Frank Martin and not on an alumni team. If they're not entering a TBT team this year and freed up some money to entice Matt or some other high quality players, I'm pleased with that.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:33 am

natwam2547 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:47 am
stevemaz wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:34 pm I will be rooting for him.. he gave us two good years and that says a lot these days.
I wish I could say this is hyperbole, but it's not. If a player gives you 2, you have to say thank you and move on in today's landscape. Same with Keon. Except I think Keon is still probably better suited here alongside Curry, whereas Cross I get trying to "get that bag" for one more year.
I’m still hoping to learn whether the collective met with Keon before he entered the portal.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:44 am

Juice Stand wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:47 am
MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:09 am I also wonder if the timing of announcing the TBT will not be competing in this years tournament has anything to do with Cross? Did this now free up another 25-50K they could offer him? If it did I'm all for it - as nice as it was to see some old UMass players play last summer - I'd much rather see Matt back so I'm all for it!
Where did you see that? Like you, I enjoyed the process leading up to the TBT and seeing those guys get back together, but if I'm donating to the collective, I probably want my dollars spent on helping build a roster with Frank Martin and not on an alumni team. If they're not entering a TBT team this year and freed up some money to entice Matt or some other high quality players, I'm pleased with that.
are you asking where I saw there would be no TBT team? If so it was all over X yesterday.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:18 pm

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:09 am I really believe Matt will be back. On the latest podcast Frank talked about legacy and how you can't go to 3/4 schools and come back and be a legend. He never mentioned Matt's name but I have to believe he had a conversation with Matt about this. I don't doubt he told Matt to test the waters and do whats best for him, but I also think he left that door wide open for him to come back. I also think the way the Collective is talking they think there is a good chance he'll be back - and I think they probably know it s a better chance than they are even saying publicly.

I also wonder if the timing of announcing the TBT will not be competing in this years tournament has anything to do with Cross? Did this now free up another 25-50K they could offer him? If it did I'm all for it - as nice as it was to see some old UMass players play last summer - I'd much rather see Matt back so I'm all for it!
We will not be fielding a TBT Team in 2024. This decision was made over a month ago. A few quick facts:

- Last years team cost around $38k in operating expenses.
- 3k of that was raised from folks directly supporting the TBT team.
- The other 35k was provided by myself, no Collective funds were used for TBT.
- This year they instituted a 10k entry fee, meaning total cost would be closer to 50k to operate.

Again - there is no crossover in TBT and Mass Co funds. Its hard enough to raise $ for the Mass Co, doing it for both the Mass Co and TBT would be competing against each other in a sense, and personally I think my own funds are better allocated to the Mass Co at this time than TBT.

Hope that clears up your questions.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:20 pm

Juice Stand wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:47 am
Mass Co funds were not used for TBT.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:43 pm

Thanks as always for clarification. Much appreciated.