KAEO Matt Cross

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

KAEO Matt Cross

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:19 pm

How do we not have a dedicated thread for Matt Cross yet? I know, there's plenty of chatter about him in other threads, but still.

Anyway, update on his leg injury:
@JosephAliberti1
Matt Cross has a grade 2 MCL sprain according to Frank Martin
“I think he’ll play again this year”
https://twitter.com/JosephAliberti1/sta ... 2674263040

Matt sprained it in the 2/14 Loyola game.

On another note, Matt turns 23 today.

He's been a warrior for us, especially just prior to the injury. Scored 28 a few weeks back vs Davidson, led the team with 17 at Fordham. Led (or co-led) the team in rebounds 13 times.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO Matt Cross

Post by Roadtrip » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:22 pm

Happy birthday

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:31 pm

so if Matt uses his Covid year he will be 25 during his Senior yr - he's already a man amongst boys - imagine him at 25 going against an 18 yr old?

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:30 pm

He's been one of my favorite players to watch this year, right up there with Dyondre and RJ. He represents what I consider "UMass basketball". Tough, blue collar, never say die hustle. I didn't have high expectations for him given his past of bouncing around, but he's been incredible.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:38 pm

Kyle Grabowski wrote:The competitiveness and high expectations are why he gets along so well with Martin. They don’t always see eye to eye but trust where the other is coming from. It’s a comfort Cross hasn’t found in a long time.

“My biggest thing with when I recruit is honesty and loyalty. That’s the way I live my life. Matt’s honest and he’s loyal. He’s not afraid to share his opinion when he doesn’t agree with something. I’m at peace with that. I like people with personality,” Martin said. “He’s got a good heart, he’s honest and he’s loyal. When you deal with people that are honest and loyal, you can move forward.”

That’s better than moving away.
I'm taking this to mean that he's staying.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:44 am

This is a good read on a guy that I definitely was wrong about. You never know why someone bounces around from place to place. I'm glad Kyle wrote this piece, and I'm even more glad that Matt Cross is at UMass.
https://www.gazettenet.com/Matt-Cross-w ... l-50232932

A couple of snippets:
“It’s been hard. I’ve always just been trying to find somewhere to get comfortable. You get better every year if you can find somewhere comfortable because you gain a coach’s trust, they gain your trust,” Cross said. “The biggest thing that was hard about it was social media. When you move around so much, you’re the bad dude. Something’s wrong with you.”
“After all the moving around I wanted to go back home, play in front of friends and family again and just have fun playing the sport again,” Matt Cross said. “It wasn’t fun. It became more of a business than anything. Being back at Massachusetts gives me that vibe again. I enjoy playing basketball.”
“I’m shooting it, eh, right now. I used to be a really good shooter. Even though I was shooting it well, it was never what I loved to do,” Cross said. “I like to be part of the game, get physical. Go at it with someone a little bit. Rebound. Dive on the floor. That’s what makes me feel like I’m a part of the game.”
I love this dude. He embodies what UMass basketball should be in my mind. I hope he stays for next year, and maybe an additional year if he wants to use the Covid bonus, and I hope he's able to stay healthy and continue to grow.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:58 am

LS71 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:38 pm
Kyle Grabowski wrote:The competitiveness and high expectations are why he gets along so well with Martin. They don’t always see eye to eye but trust where the other is coming from. It’s a comfort Cross hasn’t found in a long time.

“My biggest thing with when I recruit is honesty and loyalty. That’s the way I live my life. Matt’s honest and he’s loyal. He’s not afraid to share his opinion when he doesn’t agree with something. I’m at peace with that. I like people with personality,” Martin said. “He’s got a good heart, he’s honest and he’s loyal. When you deal with people that are honest and loyal, you can move forward.”

Or FM is making a last ditch effort to convince him to stay…..Cross’ college career and his previous high school history do not shout out “loyal” to me. lol

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:05 am

Absolutely hope he stays. He's a lunchpail kid, love his effort and competitiveness . This program needs kids like him.
Time to Win

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:30 am

Frank is not for everybody, but he’s great for us. Frank is a very honest and loyal guy,” Jim Cross said. “That’s hard to find in this business. We gravitated toward that.”
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:53 am

TruBluMaroon wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:58 am
LS71 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:38 pm

Or FM is making a last ditch effort to convince him to stay…..Cross’ college career and his previous high school history do not shout out “loyal” to me. lol
TruBlu, did you read the article? Everywhere he's gone programs have blown up or coaches have left. It's unusual to move around as much as he has, less so in today's game, but the article provides some good context and reasons for that. I was at every home game this year, and Cross was probably the player that Frank screamed at the least, if ever. It was evident to me early on that Cross understands what Frank wants and they are a good fit. I'm not commenting on whether he's staying or going, just that it seems to be a good pairing.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:53 am

I liked him from the first game he played for us. Could use a couple more players with his energy.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:16 am

^^
Was responding based on actual history.
Nothing happened at UMiami regarding coaching and Cushing. Matt Cross played for the BABC , one of the elite AAU teams in the country and played on the national stage throughout high school. His team (U16) won a National Championship and was a national recruit and he did not need exposure during his high school season. So leaving home was absolutely not needed to help his recruitment. Did you think his father wouldn’t have a way to put a positive spin on this by this time?
His first college stop was in the ACC , which has a team very close to his home😁

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:51 am

Valid points, but there were also situations (like Woodstock and Chris Mack getting fired) that were factors in his decision to move on. After watching him for a year, seeing how damn hard he plays, and reading the article, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. We'll see if he stays at UMass next season, I'm betting he will.

Does anybody know what happened at Miami? The one thing the article glosses over is the dismissal from that team. It goes from him getting dismissed from the team to his dad saying "He can't catch a break with some of this stuff". That's a weird one. Anyways, I'm not so sure I'm interested in dredging up rumors about his freshman year. He's a quality dude and I'm happy he's at UMass.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:14 am

Juice Stand wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:51 am Valid points, but there were also situations (like Woodstock and Chris Mack getting fired) that were factors in his decision to move on. After watching him for a year, seeing how damn hard he plays, and reading the article, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. We'll see if he stays at UMass next season, I'm betting he will.

Does anybody know what happened at Miami? The one thing the article glosses over is the dismissal from that team. It goes from him getting dismissed from the team to his dad saying "He can't catch a break with some of this stuff". That's a weird one. Anyways, I'm not so sure I'm interested in dredging up rumors about his freshman year. He's a quality dude and I'm happy he's at UMass.
Larranaga didn’t say much when he was let go. He basically said the situation was not the best for Matt and him. They didn’t get along and didn’t realize it would be that way until that point. He also said sometimes first impressions don’t always translate to long term. Reading between the lines, Matt wanted out, and it was mutual. Miami was in a hard spot that season and Larranaga didn’t want Matt around if he was not happy. No violations or transgressions, etc.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:11 pm

If Cross is staying put, that is a good start.