Game 28, 2022-23: Dayton (2/22)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Re: Game 28, 2022-23: Dayton (2/22)

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:36 am

ClubMan wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:03 pm Did anyone see the altercation between Frank and Brandon after Brandon picked up the offensive foul at the 11:46 mark in lthe second half? The assistant coaches were holding Brandon back and trying to settle him down. Frank screamed at him as they were coming off of the court because of the offensive foul, and Brandon said something back to him and it escalated. Brandon never went back into the game. Tempers definitely boiled over.
yes I saw it and it was pretty ugly - any other player does that and he's most likely done for the year. I sit behind the UMass bench and from my point of view it appeared Brandon kind of stood over Frank yelling at him as they huddled on the court during the timeout. Frank got up and proceeded to get in his face and they had to be separated. Brandon continued to yell and Edwards finally got between them and got him away from the huddle.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:14 am

I saw it too. He was pointing and yelling, and at first I thought it was directed at Wildens for blowing a defensive assignment or something, and I thought "here we go, this is the point where we start to see locker room issues bubble over on to the court and the team start to blow up". But it became clear pretty quickly that it was directed at Frank.

Regardless of the way Frank handles himself during games and yells at players, you never want to see that and it's not good for a player to air out the coach like that. Maybe he felt like he was the only one that could dish it back to Frank since he's his son, but I don't know, it wasn't a good look for sure.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:34 am

Juice Stand wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:14 am I saw it too. He was pointing and yelling, and at first I thought it was directed at Wildens for blowing a defensive assignment or something, and I thought "here we go, this is the point where we start to see locker room issues bubble over on to the court and the team start to blow up". But it became clear pretty quickly that it was directed at Frank.

Regardless of the way Frank handles himself during games and yells at players, you never want to see that and it's not good for a player to air out the coach like that. Maybe he felt like he was the only one that could dish it back to Frank since he's his son, but I don't know, it wasn't a good look for sure.
that was my exact thought too - that he knew he could probably get away with it. I am really shocked at the restraint some of these kids have when being yelled at - especially Kante and Leveque. I know Frank genuinely cares for his players and I'm sure he tells them all the time that its not personal but man, thats gotta be tough to constantly get screamed at

BillGASox1
Sophomore

Post by BillGASox1 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:48 am

From having lived in south Florida, we have many U of Miami friends, and they say that Larranaga is very aware of RJ! Martin's coaching style is increasingly wearing on these kids...Larranaga has a completely different style, and success on the hardwood!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:32 am

They were never really in it, but I think that was expected. Dayton jumped early and always kept an arms length. What can ya do? Onto the next one... they've got a week to get some health back, and maybe have some development practices ahead of the final 2 and the A10s.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:33 am

I've barely gotten to see UMass play this year (I'm allergic to my computer after 5pm), but saw this one. Some thoughts.

First and foremost, they played hard. I didn't get any semblance from watching that Martin had lost this team. They did have mental lapses which led to quick scoring runs by Dayton which is where they did the most damage, but for the most part, I saw a team that really competed.

Keon and Luis are going to be the premier backcourt in the A-10 if they stick around. Not sure why people think that Luis is going back to Miami soon, when I was in college, I wasn't dreaming of transferring to Marist College after I had established myself at UMass.

Wildens and Kante, optimally, shouldn't be in there at the same time. Their skillsets don't seem complementary to me. Not a criticism of the lineups, because with Cross being out it doesn't seem like they had much choice.

TJ didn't seem like a threat to drive to the hoop at all last night. Seems easier to guard than in the past.

UMass would've looked a lot different if the bench provided some help.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 am

Oh, yes, Keon looked great last night. There was one drive where he started at the top of the key and weaved his way through the lane left and right and sneaked to the basket for an almost uncontested layup... he was a thing of beauty. He has been thrust into this, and while he has had some mental lapses here and there (as all Freshmen do), his development has really come along nicely.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:52 am

BillGASox1 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:48 am From having lived in south Florida, we have many U of Miami friends, and they say that Larranaga is very aware of RJ! Martin's coaching style is increasingly wearing on these kids...Larranaga has a completely different style, and success on the hardwood!
too bad he wasn't "very aware" of him when he had a chance to get him. by all accounts he never recruited him and definitely never made him an offer. Franks style of coaching is tough, but some kids need that - RJ doesn't seem affected by it and now that he is starting to get used to Franks system, he doesn't get yelled at nearly as much as he once did. Cross barely gets yelled at. I think if you do what you are supposed to, you can be spared the wrath of Frank.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:05 am

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:52 am
BillGASox1 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:48 am From having lived in south Florida, we have many U of Miami friends, and they say that Larranaga is very aware of RJ! Martin's coaching style is increasingly wearing on these kids...Larranaga has a completely different style, and success on the hardwood!
too bad he wasn't "very aware" of him when he had a chance to get him. by all accounts he never recruited him and definitely never made him an offer. Franks style of coaching is tough, but some kids need that - RJ doesn't seem affected by it and now that he is starting to get used to Franks system, he doesn't get yelled at nearly as much as he once did. Cross barely gets yelled at. I think if you do what you are supposed to, you can be spared the wrath of Frank.
The post game presser last night was good. Frank commented on freshmen growth, etc. he revisited the process and bemoaned a bit about outdated techniques, but kept that short this time.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:13 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 am Oh, yes, Keon looked great last night. There was one drive where he started at the top of the key and weaved his way through the lane left and right and sneaked to the basket for an almost uncontested layup... he was a thing of beauty. He has been thrust into this, and while he has had some mental lapses here and there (as all Freshmen do), his development has really come along nicely.
Absolutely. Keon deserves a tremendous amount of credit. As you mentioned, freshman mistakes of course, but he's been thrown into a difficult situation and handled it very well.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:06 am

Juice Stand wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:13 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 am Oh, yes, Keon looked great last night. There was one drive where he started at the top of the key and weaved his way through the lane left and right and sneaked to the basket for an almost uncontested layup... he was a thing of beauty. He has been thrust into this, and while he has had some mental lapses here and there (as all Freshmen do), his development has really come along nicely.
Absolutely. Keon deserves a tremendous amount of credit. As you mentioned, freshman mistakes of course, but he's been thrown into a difficult situation and handled it very well.
In the presser, Frank commented on Keon a lot and how he has improved. He also mentioned how Dayton’s length made it impossible for Keon to see some passing lanes, therefore they adjusted.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:24 pm

You have been saying this throughout the season.

RJ seems to be improving throughout A10 play and has earned his spot in the starting lineup. I don’t know the kid but I would believe he was aware and understood the coaching style of Frank before signing to play for him. How do you know Frank’s coaching style is wearing on the players? We have no idea what’s going on day to day.

Also after seeing Holmes play last night as a sophomore, he proves that star players can dominate in the A10 and help pave the way to play professionally. I really think the advantage of starting and developing as a freshman in the A10, especially under a coach who has sent players to the league, has to be draw for a player like Luis. He could go to Miami and play for another veteran coach and not get yelled at, but he would have to start over and compete with ACC teammates on a solid team.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:37 pm

Larranga should have been the UMass coach many years ago...

palm14
Sophomore

Post by palm14 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:01 pm

Disappointed to hear about the Frank-Brandon blowup, but at least that was father-son as opposed to one of the other guys. It seemed like Frank was really into the game during the first half. It was a flashback to OOC Frank. He sensed we had a chance, which we did until Dayton pulled away with 5 minutes left in the 1st. Credit to the good crowd that showed up last night.

I genuinely don't think Frank has lost the locker room. If he has lost it, the players are certainly doing one hell of a job hiding it.

As far as overrating the talent we have, many on this board have been doing that for the last 6 years. Every year you see people saying we're going to finish Top 4 in the A10 and make the NIT. Easier said than done. And the A10 isn't what it used to be. The last time this board underrated our roster (16-17) we actually did have the talent to finish Top 4 and make a postseason tournament if the group had been allowed to stick together for more than one season. Just look at how Pipkins carried us to the first "decent" season under McCall. Imagine if everyone stayed while the rest of the A10 was weak.

As poor as the defense was last night, I'm more annoyed with the terrible offense. Everyone needs to share the blame. Our shooting is abysmal and I don't see the overall plan when we have the ball.

As others said, right now all I care about is as many guys returning as possible. That's our best hope and probably the best hope for 90% of programs across the country.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:20 pm

palm14 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:01 pm Disappointed to hear about the Frank-Brandon blowup, but at least that was father-son as opposed to one of the other guys. It seemed like Frank was really into the game during the first half. It was a flashback to OOC Frank. He sensed we had a chance, which we did until Dayton pulled away with 5 minutes left in the 1st. Credit to the good crowd that showed up last night.

I genuinely don't think Frank has lost the locker room. If he has lost it, the players are certainly doing one hell of a job hiding it.

As far as overrating the talent we have, many on this board have been doing that for the last 6 years. Every year you see people saying we're going to finish Top 4 in the A10 and make the NIT. Easier said than done. And the A10 isn't what it used to be. The last time this board underrated our roster (16-17) we actually did have the talent to finish Top 4 and make a postseason tournament if the group had been allowed to stick together for more than one season. Just look at how Pipkins carried us to the first "decent" season under McCall. Imagine if everyone stayed while the rest of the A10 was weak.

As poor as the defense was last night, I'm more annoyed with the terrible offense. Everyone needs to share the blame. Our shooting is abysmal and I don't see the overall plan when we have the ball.

As others said, right now all I care about is as many guys returning as possible. That's our best hope and probably the best hope for 90% of programs across the country.
The offense was terrible because the guys inside stopped playing. There were so many breakdowns that Keon and RJ ended up improvising for most of the second half. There were almost no entry passes to the low post in the second half. I’m sure that was not by design.