Injuries and the rest of the 2022-23 season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

What's your current thought on how to play things out?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:17 am

1. Bring Noah/RJ/Diggins back as soon as possible and try to win whatever we can.
10%
2. Don't rush them, but play them when they feel like they can go, and see what they can give us.
90%
3. Shut them down for this season, don't risk further injury, and just go with who we've got.
No votes

Total votes: 20

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Injuries and the rest of the 2022-23 season

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:17 am

Curious what the pulse of the Board is on this...

Noah's ankle is keeping him out.
Diggins also has an ankle issue. Prior to Fordham, the report was that he was practicing and getting better, but he didn't dress for Fordham. Kyle's report yesterday was "likely no Diggins" for tomorrow.
RJ got a concussion and a broken nose last week.

Noah can come back another season if he wants to. Diggins is only a soph, RJ a freshman. Are we near the point where we should just shut them down and let them start a full recovery process?

As of today, we're the 14th seed in the A-15 tourney. When someone ran the numbers earlier this week, there was an 82% chance we'd stay in the first day. That has only gone up a little with the loss at Fordham. There's little chance we're going to do something special the rest of this season. Never say never, but let's also be real.

Knowing what you know today, what do you think? Setting this poll for 1 day. Maybe things change with who plays at La Salle, and maybe I'll run another one next week or whenever.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Re: Injuries and the rest of the 2022-23 season

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:20 am

If healthy we can beat anyone - playing that extra game is not as big a deal anymore since they have a day off between the semi's and the finals. If one thing we learned this year, we have a lot of depth, so lets get fully healthy and see what we can do

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:22 am

Players gotta play if they are capable of it but only if they are not going to do more damage.

If it was 5 games in and they could still redshirt - I might change my mind, but as long as they are healthy, they should play.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:23 am

I'm not rushing any of the 3 back, but if healthy they should play. If anything, we'll need to knock off some rust for even a remote chance at a run in the A10 Tournament.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:28 am

Since not all of us are there, and not all of #UMassTwitter is here, I'm also running the same thing over there.
https://twitter.com/UMassHoops_com/stat ... 1695805440

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:30 am

Rest them and make sure none of the remaining players is averaging more than the low 30s in minutes. Cross and K Thompson playing 36 minutes like they did vs. Fordham should be an extremely rare instance.

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:42 am

Plano Minuteman wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:30 am Rest them and make sure none of the remaining players is averaging more than the low 30s in minutes. Cross and K Thompson playing 36 minutes like they did vs. Fordham should be an extremely rare instance.
Agree with the above. AND, although frustrating as it may be, temper expectations. I mean how good would the Celtics be if they had Smart, White or Brogdon out all at the same time? That's what we are dealing with.

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:11 pm

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:20 am If healthy we can beat anyone - playing that extra game is not as big a deal anymore since they have a day off between the semi's and the finals. If one thing we learned this year, we have a lot of depth, so lets get fully healthy and see what we can do
A couple posters have mentioned that day off, which is between the quarter and semi finals, and I don't see how it matters. Chances of winning 3 days in row, with 1 vs a rested team and a 2nd vs a doubly rested top finisher are very close to zero. That said, win tomorrow and the next one and there's still a chance to squeak by, although we'll need lots of other games to finish favorably also.

Decisions about coming off injury should be made with the well-being of the player as the sole criteria. That doesn't mean never play until you're 100%, but enabling experience for others shouldn't enter the decision.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:31 pm

Speaking of rest, we still have a mini-bye coming up. We have no game in the last weekend of February. If we are going to try to make a run in March, that's good timing to recover.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:21 pm

I voted for the second option, to play them when they feel ready but not rush them back, but I'll also add if they're cleared by the medical staff. RJ may feel like he can come back, but I don't want him out there with a head injury.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:42 pm

I said not to rush Noah back until he’s 100% when he first was hurting in late November. Unfortunately they rushed him back and it’s been a nightmare for him and the team has suffered.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:45 am

RJ should play as soon as he clears protocol. Diggins when he is 80%. Fernandes probably going to be shut down as I suspect he needs surgery. When the injury happened I immediately thought it was more of a foot injury because he didnt roll over his ankle to the side like we all have experienced and/or seen (Diggins for example). Fernandes injury killed the season.. the record would be much better.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:46 am

By all accounts Noah has been practicing - if he needed surgery he wouldn't be practicing. If RJ is cleared, he's cleared, he should be out there. If they can somehow figure out a way to win today, depending on how things shake out this weekend, they could be in the 9-10 range in standings with a very winnable home game Tuesday - win that one and now your in a position to finish right in the middle of the pack. I think they are good enough to beat LaSalle even with all these injuries.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:20 pm

MikeUMA wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:31 pm Speaking of rest, we still have a mini-bye coming up. We have no game in the last weekend of February. If we are going to try to make a run in March, that's good timing to recover.
If we can come back with some healthy players after that and finish up solid, hopefully we can compete well during the tournament.

I wonder if Frank would play the team in the CBI...
Refuse To Lose!!!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:38 pm

I'm guessing that Noah has played too much this season to qualify for a medical red shirt. Is that right?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving