Game 24, 2022-23: at Fordham (2/8)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Sheck
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 24, 2022-23: at Fordham (2/8)

Post by Sheck » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:33 pm

Merlin Samuels wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:05 pm
DoctorJ wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:53 pm They're selling pieces of the RHG floor to Fordham fans.

Can Bam hire a guy with a band saw to get us pieces of the Cage floor?
Sell this one and bring back the parquet floor and the cursive U.
100% this.
#maction 🚩#flagship

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:42 am

Yeah, it's pretty simple what's going on with this team right now. They're missing almost their entire backcourt, and no matter how well they play for 20-30 minutes, it just can't be sustained for a full 40 due to the lack of depth. I'm holding out hope that we can get two of the three back and play some fun basketball to end the season.

I echo the other sentiments about the women's team. I've been to a few games this year, and they're outstanding. If you have a chance, go see them play.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:21 am

Missed the 1st half, wish I hadn't watched the 2nd half. Woof.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:16 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:21 am Missed the 1st half, wish I hadn't watched the 2nd half. Woof.
We looked damn good in the first half. Didn't quit in the second half.
Refuse To Lose!!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:23 am

DoctorJ wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:16 am
We looked damn good in the first half. Didn't quit in the second half.

Ya know, I totally agree... watching it I never thought they quit on themselves... they just went through that initial stretch of just not being able to do anything right. It was tough to watch. But they almost always remained within striking distance, just never able to get over the hump.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:46 am

My impression of this Fordham team based on what I was hearing leading up to last night, and how they looked watching them, in both cases the thing I kept coming back to is that this Fordham team is a lot like what I expected UMass to become under Frank Martin. Tough & physical defense-first team that rebounds the ball and makes the opponent uncomfortable.

In the last two games, both 10+ point losses, UMass has shot 49%+ from the field, but their defense was eviscerated by Davidson, and was passive and put Fordham to the FT line 34 times, while they were outrebounded by both teams by 8 and 9 respectively.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:50 am

Juice Stand wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:42 am Yeah, it's pretty simple what's going on with this team right now. They're missing almost their entire backcourt, and no matter how well they play for 20-30 minutes, it just can't be sustained for a full 40 due to the lack of depth. I'm holding out hope that we can get two of the three back and play some fun basketball to end the season.

I echo the other sentiments about the women's team. I've been to a few games this year, and they're outstanding. If you have a chance, go see them play.
You sure that's the only reason? I'm sure BM getting tons of playing time only ruined our teams chances even more.

*checks the box score*
*realizes BM had double digit scoring and shot over 80% from the field*
*has a panic attack and runs back to the message board to delete their post*

You realize who's quiet today on the board today? Not the real fans. Folks who only come here with 1 agenda.

Listen, being wrong is okay. But being wrong and never admitting you're wrong, my parents told me that folks like that are called cowards. Glad I wasn't raised that way. That's right... I never owned any boat shoes. :lol:

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:53 am

You know who deserves a lot of love today?

Keon Thompson.

Essentially forced to play the full 40 because of injuries as a freshman and he has never backed down. Playing his ass off while exemplifying leadership abilities and doing his best to have his team stay in the game.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:04 am

good effort by Keon and maybe this year will lead him to become a very good point guard for us down the road. He was not ready to be handing this much at this point in his career and I certainly salute his effort!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:06 am

inthescoop wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:50 am
Juice Stand wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:42 am Yeah, it's pretty simple what's going on with this team right now. They're missing almost their entire backcourt, and no matter how well they play for 20-30 minutes, it just can't be sustained for a full 40 due to the lack of depth. I'm holding out hope that we can get two of the three back and play some fun basketball to end the season.

You sure that's the only reason? I'm sure BM getting tons of playing time only ruined our teams chances even more.

*checks the box score*

You realize who's quiet today on the board today? Not the real fans. Folks who only come here with 1 agenda.

Listen, being wrong is okay. But being wrong and never admitting you're wrong, my parents told me that folks like that are called cowards. Glad I wasn't raised that way. That's right... I never owned any boat shoes. :lol:
Many of those "real fans" were watching the women's team play last night, where the best players start every game and get the most minutes.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:06 am

*checks the box score*

with the injuries we need BM. If the three are able to play, then BM should not play a second..

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:27 am

stevemaz wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:31 pm I also question if our coach is Dumb... just play a zone dummy...
They were playing zone quite a bit. Were you watching the same game?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:28 am

inthescoop wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:50 am Listen, being wrong is okay. But being wrong and never admitting you're wrong, my parents told me that folks like that are called cowards. Glad I wasn't raised that way. That's right... I never owned any boat shoes. :lol:

Weird, I don't recall you admitting you were wrong for accusing 69MG of being "prejudice". :lol:

inthescoop wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:13 am Nothing to see here, just a bunch of old white men making jokes about immigrants and migrants. Classic.
inthescoop wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:49 am If you make ignorant prejudice "jokes" on a basketball message board while you sit back in your little boat shoes in your New England home, hell yeah I'm going to call you out.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:29 am

*checks the box score*

Brandon had a good game last night, and that's great. I'm happy that he did, but the truth is that if we had our backcourt we'd be in a better position. We don't and our season has become F'ed.

You spend plenty of time telling people on here that we should sacrifice this season for him, and not to post anymore about him and his playing time, and then when nobody brings it up and he has a good game, you take the opportunity to strut around like a damn peacock. Get bent.

You know where I'll be on senior night? That's right. I'll be in the Mullins Center applauding Brandon when they call his name in the pregame ceremony. But hey, I'm not a real fan. I should check my closet to see if there are any boat shoes.
Last edited by Juice Stand on Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:30 am

stevemaz wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:04 am good effort by Keon and maybe this year will lead him to become a very good point guard for us down the road. He was not ready to be handing this much at this point in his career and I certainly salute his effort!
Well said. I've been very impressed with his poise. Not an easy position to be put in to.