Game 22, 2022-23: at George Mason (2/1)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 22, 2022-23: at George Mason (2/1)

Post by NilesGold » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:02 pm

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:25 pm I don't think it was a bad loss considering the injury situation, but I think it's ridiculous to say they had no chance to win or they couldn't have won that game. They were winning with 8 minutes left. If they hit a couple wide open looks from 3 they had between the 8-4 minute mark in the 2nd they're still winning or it's a 1 possession game. Mason is not a great team.

I'm sure if you asked the staff and players, none of them would say they couldn't have won the game. There were missed FTs, missed layups, missed open looks throughout the game. There's a middle ground between killing the team/coach for every loss and making excuses to defend against those people

This is a good/deep A10 roster with an accomplished coach, coming off 2 nice wins where the team was also shorthanded. We should keep expectations realistic, but realistically they could have certainly won if they played a little better.
This all seems correct. Despite the injury limitations this was winnable, UMass probably wins it 2 or 3 times out of 10. I wasn't thrilled with the coaching, but aside from injuries the biggest problem was player execution.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:00 pm

Marty Peretz wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:45 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:27 pm We haven't had a stable roster really since the 13-14 group left. Might be a year early with that, could have been the 14-15 group... can't remember exactly. AT LEAST major roster turnover since DKs last year.

Obviously much of that was due to coaching changes and "resets" under McCall, but now with the portal stuff, it is a whole new ballgame.
With the advent of the portal I don't think you'll ever see true roster stability again in the sport. It's going to be a lot easier to build a good team and a lot harder to maintain one. Every year is a new year. Continuity is a thing of the past.
I don't know Marty. I think if you can build a team that gets past that first or even 2nd year and has growing success, guys will want to stay for the tourney runs. I think inconsistency and disorganization leads to constant turnover. I think Frank wouldn't be considered to be either, and I believe he'll have more continuity than most. Obviously some will leave, but I think the kind of kids he recruits know what he expects
Time to Win

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:45 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:16 pm
capezona wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:44 pm Take a deep breath. The only thing I was comparing was the fact that the first year for a coaching staff is often a challenge until the program gets stabilized. I wasn't comparing teams or coaches.
Zona, here is my questions, with probably 5 or 6 or 7 new guys next year, what does stabilization mean?
This is true. It seems to be the world we live in. But I think that stability isn't just how many new guys are coming into the program. It also has to with the returning players who have had a year under the new coaches and their efforts in getting the new guys up to speed. It has to do with recruiting and building relationships with high school and prep programs, building a reputation (although FM has a pretty established reputation), and building a connection to community and fans. Anyway, I won't mention Cal since it seems to touch a nerve around here.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:21 pm

inthescoop wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:09 pm ^DoctorJ - I think you misunderstood. He wasn’t calling you a keyboard warrior. He was calling the folks on Twitter who are still mindlessly complaining about BM keyboard warriors.
Ok, ty. I was confused.

I did start a twitter account but I don't look there often. I prefer this site as I'm familiar with the commenters and know that they are actual UMass fans, not URI people playing games.

Only thing I like about Twitter is we can hear inside stuff from coaches and players. The most important seems to find its way here.

I don't dig deep into what Twitter people say.
Refuse To Lose!!!