Game 19, 2022-23: at Saint Joe's (1/21)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 19, 2022-23: at Saint Joe's (1/21)

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:35 pm

I agree, Noah is not the solution. He will help, but things have been trending in the wrong direction for a while now. I think Niles posted that we're 1-3 in conference play with him. There are deeper issues plaguing this team than just Noah's absence. And if you can't compensate for the loss of one player, you're not a top half team.

The problems with this team start with the coaching staff. Frank preaches defense, but they've lost that identity. We've covered the lineup issues, that's on Frank as well. He talks about body language, but his is the absolute worst I've ever seen; he needs to lead by example on that one. The time for lessons is over, it's time to start winning. He's getting paid handsomely to win, and he'll be judged by the wins and losses.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:35 pm

NilesGold wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:47 pm
Floyd wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:45 pm Gotta put the ball in the hoop. Without Noah available, RJ & DD are our best shooters. TJ is inconsistent. Cross plays more inside than out. So we aren't a great shooting team. Too many times, inside we throw up shots instead of shooting them, resulting in wild, off balance chances
That's definitely plagued this team, but today that wasn't really the case. UMass' shooting was actually quite good today.
Agreed. I'm thinking more about team as a whole this year. Noah is pretty steady, but we don't have that deep, consistent outside shooter to extend defenses. Hoping the Davis kid coming in next year gives us that
Time to Win

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:18 pm

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:56 pm 14:19 remaining in the 2nd half.
52-51 UMass
Brandon Martin subbed in

10:20 remaining in the 2nd half
59-52 St Joes
Brandon Martin subbed out

Sometimes it’s just as simple as not playing the worst player on the team in a 1 point game but I have 0 faith in that ever changing.
Went back to rewatch this 4 minute run by st joes
14:19 score was 51-50 st joes, Luis got banged up and left the game.
Line up was Diggins Keon cross Brandon Kante
Cross hit a floater to give us lead, DD subs in for Kante
Next 5 possessions were ugly
DD 2 missed ft
Cross to
Brandon to
Brandon missed fadeaway at buzzer
Keon missed layup
10:20 59-52 st joes, mass substitutions

Frank deserves blame for having the two pg and Brandon in at the same time. It was a team effort of bad basketball. I know you guys want to blame Brandon the most but it was a combo of missed ft’s, bad offensive execution, to’s that led to points, and lazy defense. This play continued after the subs, DD had another to for a layup, then Diggins had a to. Luis finally scored to end the run.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:05 pm

Camby4Life wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:18 pm
MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:56 pm 14:19 remaining in the 2nd half.
52-51 UMass
Brandon Martin subbed in

10:20 remaining in the 2nd half
59-52 St Joes
Brandon Martin subbed out

Sometimes it’s just as simple as not playing the worst player on the team in a 1 point game but I have 0 faith in that ever changing.
Went back to rewatch this 4 minute run by st joes
14:19 score was 51-50 st joes, Luis got banged up and left the game.
Line up was Diggins Keon cross Brandon Kante
Cross hit a floater to give us lead, DD subs in for Kante
Next 5 possessions were ugly
DD 2 missed ft
Cross to
Brandon to
Brandon missed fadeaway at buzzer
Keon missed layup
10:20 59-52 st joes, mass substitutions

Frank deserves blame for having the two pg and Brandon in at the same time. It was a team effort of bad basketball. I know you guys want to blame Brandon the most but it was a combo of missed ft’s, bad offensive execution, to’s that led to points, and lazy defense. This play continued after the subs, DD had another to for a layup, then Diggins had a to. Luis finally scored to end the run.
Putting 3 guys on the floor together who can't make jump shots (I'll give Diggins the benefit of the doubt) is just begging for disaster.

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:38 am

My impressions:

St. Joe's played an excellent first half and it seemed like every shot they missed was a long rebound that they then had a second chance with because our guys were crashing the boards. I couldn't believe the bounces that went their way. St. Joe's is definitely a streaky team that went on a couple hot runs and that was the ultimate difference.

The refs were whistle happy.

Cross played great. Having Fernandes back will diversify the offense because Cross kept getting doubled immediately.

B. Martin hustles and plays hard. I don't really understand the criticism, but I think he's an easy target being the coach's son and not being an offensive guy.

Sometimes I believe the guys go off the script on offense and get sloppy. This is usually when there are droughts.

Looking forward to the next two games at home. Both Richmond and Duquesne have struggled on the road this season so hopefully we take advantage of that.

Go UMass!

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:00 am

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:04 pm can Mass Collective take the money they gave to Gapare back and double it for Luis to stay?

and also give Cross some $$$ to stay.
Can’t take anything back but can use your help with Luis…contribute here 👉 https://checkout.stripe.com/c/pay/cs_li ... tmamgqJ3gl

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:15 am

Merlin Samuels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:38 am B. Martin hustles and plays hard. I don't really understand the criticism, but I think he's an easy target being the coach's son and not being an offensive guy.
*Disclaimer* This is not a B. Martin hate post. This is not his fault. The coach makes the lineup decisions. If the coach says "go in the game", he goes in the game. It's not his fault. I have never made this about the father/son dynamic. It is purely about performance on the court. But the truth is, basketball is a two-way game. This isn't football where you get to play defense and then sit on the sidelines when your team is on offense. He doesn't cut the mustard. The following chart is presented with no further comment. Credit to: https://twitter.com/PJStevens10/status/ ... 4658895872

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:39 am

Juice Stand wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:15 am
Merlin Samuels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:38 am B. Martin hustles and plays hard. I don't really understand the criticism, but I think he's an easy target being the coach's son and not being an offensive guy.
*Disclaimer* This is not a B. Martin hate post. This is not his fault. The coach makes the lineup decisions. If the coach says "go in the game", he goes in the game. It's not his fault. I have never made this about the father/son dynamic. It is purely about performance on the court. But the truth is, basketball is a two-way game. This isn't football where you get to play defense and then sit on the sidelines when your team is on offense. He doesn't cut the mustard. The following chart is presented with no further comment. Credit to: https://twitter.com/PJStevens10/status/ ... 4658895872

Thanks for sharing the graphic.

He’s at the bottom of minutes played for UMass players on the chart. Also, I disagree with your football comparison. Plenty of excellent basketball players didn’t have much of an offensive game.

The fact is, we don’t know what’s going on during the games as much as we’d like. If Martin goes in and executes the game plan and other guys don’t, that’s what happens.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:37 am

https://twitter.com/PJStevens10/status/ ... Wm_GQ&s=19
^ the same data, but going back over the last 15 years and he's the 3rd least effective player. Playing him more than garbage time, or as a replacement during foul trouble or injury is hard for me to understand. I'll use the eye test and then confirm what my eyes are telling me with the data instead of clinging to some vague notion of being inside the huddle. It's pretty obvious.

*Disclaimer again. Not a Brandon Martin hate post. He's doing what he's asked, working hard, and goes in when the coach says to. I will be in attendance on senior day and applaud him for his efforts during the ceremony. I don't dislike Brandon Martin.

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:53 am

Juice Stand wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:37 am https://twitter.com/PJStevens10/status/ ... Wm_GQ&s=19
^ the same data, but going back over the last 15 years and he's the 3rd least effective player. Playing him more than garbage time, or as a replacement during foul trouble or injury is hard for me to understand. I'll use the eye test and then confirm what my eyes are telling me with the data instead of clinging to some vague notion of being inside the huddle. It's pretty obvious.

*Disclaimer again. Not a Brandon Martin hate post. He's doing what he's asked, working hard, and goes in when the coach says to. I will be in attendance on senior day and applaud him for his efforts during the ceremony. I don't dislike Brandon Martin.
I think part of the issue is this is his first year and we don’t really know what to expect. He’s shooting 28% whereas for his career he shoots more towards 50%. That graphic is using his stats for this season only, and I get it, that’s when he has played for an A10 team. But against SEC competition he shot 44.6%. I think we agree that the SEC is a much better conference than the A10.

He barely averages more rebounds than Konte in less playing time.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:25 am

Merlin Samuels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:53 am I think part of the issue is this is his first year and we don’t really know what to expect. He’s shooting 28% whereas for his career he shoots more towards 50%.
You're grasping at straws trying to come up with excuses for Frank to continuing giving important minutes to Brandon.

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:30 am

Off topic, but man can Adam Frenier pound the chicken wings and beer at the Hanger.! Man is a legend in his own right, and a western mass ref to boot!!
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:44 am

NilesGold wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:25 am
Merlin Samuels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:53 am I think part of the issue is this is his first year and we don’t really know what to expect. He’s shooting 28% whereas for his career he shoots more towards 50%.
You're grasping at straws trying to come up with excuses for Frank to continuing giving important minutes to Brandon.
Where would you rather see the 10 minutes go? I think the front court is very weak and Brandon is the weakest, especially on offense. The construction of this roaster and the coach’s philosophy, both Frank’s responsibility, are going to allocate minutes the way he is. Even if Brandon wasn’t his son, the weakest link at the four is getting these minutes. Gapare is awful on defense. He is out of position all the time. He doesn’t rebound well. These are things that are common with freshmen. Brandon is averaging about 10 minutes recently, well below his season average.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:04 pm

Merlin Samuels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:38 am My impressions:

St. Joe's played an excellent first half and it seemed like every shot they missed was a long rebound that they then had a second chance with because our guys were crashing the boards. I couldn't believe the bounces that went their way. St. Joe's is definitely a streaky team that went on a couple hot runs and that was the ultimate difference.

The refs were whistle happy.

Cross played great. Having Fernandes back will diversify the offense because Cross kept getting doubled immediately.

B. Martin hustles and plays hard. I don't really understand the criticism, but I think he's an easy target being the coach's son and not being an offensive guy.

Sometimes I believe the guys go off the script on offense and get sloppy. This is usually when there are droughts.

Looking forward to the next two games at home. Both Richmond and Duquesne have struggled on the road this season so hopefully we take advantage of that.

Go UMass!
HE IS NOT EVEN 1 OF THE BEST 9 or 10 PLAYERS ON THEIR ROSTER. He is almost literally a black hole on offense - they are playing 4 on 5 when he is on the floor and they have the ball EVERY SINGLE TIME. He can be the hardest working man in college basketball for all I care, their team does not play well when he is on the floor.

He is stunting Gapare's growth for sure. He is a 5th year senior who is absolutely not going to be cashing any kind of pro paycheck in this sport (as a player).

Nobody want to offend anyone and call it like it is for fuck sakes. BRANDON IS NOT HELPING THIS TEAM.

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:13 pm

NilesGold wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:25 am
I’m presenting career statistics, no straws to be had. Consider them how you wish.