Game 19, 2022-23: at Saint Joe's (1/21)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
LS71
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 19, 2022-23: at Saint Joe's (1/21)

Post by LS71 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:43 pm

Sucks that UMass lost this one. Felt like it was there for the taking.

They made 5 more free throws than UMass attempted (15-10).
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:45 pm

Gotta put the ball in the hoop. Without Noah available, RJ & DD are our best shooters. TJ is inconsistent. Cross plays more inside than out. So we aren't a great shooting team. Too many times, inside we throw up shots instead of shooting them, resulting in wild, off balance chances

And get Gapare off the wing. With his height, length, and leaping ability he could be pulling down 7-8 rebounds consistently and cleaning up missed shots inside. Very wild on his offensive drives, and get in the weight room

Good confidence game for Rahsool. Until Noah gets back, I'd start and give bulk of the minutes to Rahsool, RJ, Cross, DD and combo Kante & Wildens
Time to Win

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:46 pm

RagingCager wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:38 pm He bitches about the inability to guard man to man… switch to a zone Einstein!!!
Sometimes the zone D is going to be the right play, but using it against this SJU team was actually one of the more bone-headed things they've done. SJU had the personnel to shred it, and that should've been obvious to the UMass coaches going in.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:46 pm

also - did Frank bench DD again??? with the exception of those missed FT's I really don't recall seeing him much in the 2nd half? this is what I was referring to a couple games back - you are punishing not only the team but also the entire fanbase because you are trying to prove a point - whatever that point is - and I have news for you Frank - DD is not going to change. You said the other night he better stop celebrating with the fans or stop yelling at the refs, etc - well it sure seems like he listened to you as he's running down the court flapping his arms in the St.Joe's macots face. The sooner you learn that DD won't learn a lesson by being benched the better off this team will be

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:47 pm

Floyd wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:45 pm Gotta put the ball in the hoop. Without Noah available, RJ & DD are our best shooters. TJ is inconsistent. Cross plays more inside than out. So we aren't a great shooting team. Too many times, inside we throw up shots instead of shooting them, resulting in wild, off balance chances
That's definitely plagued this team, but today that wasn't really the case. UMass' shooting was actually quite good today.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:56 pm

14:19 remaining in the 2nd half.
52-51 UMass
Brandon Martin subbed in

10:20 remaining in the 2nd half
59-52 St Joes
Brandon Martin subbed out

Sometimes it’s just as simple as not playing the worst player on the team in a 1 point game but I have 0 faith in that ever changing.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:03 pm

^^Agreed-the shooting was not the problem today.

Rebounding hurt. Cross played just under 34 minutes and got 10 boards. Leveque and Kante played a combined 34.5 minutes…and got all of 6 rebounds between them.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:04 pm

can Mass Collective take the money they gave to Gapare back and double it for Luis to stay?

and also give Cross some $$$ to stay.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:08 pm

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:04 pm Welp I’m officially checked out on this season. I’ll check out some games if time allows and tune into the A10 tourney.

Frank Martin is making top dollar and the team seems to get worse on a weekly basis. He’s 100% giving minutes his kid doesn’t deserve and acts like he’s being personally attacked when it’s mentioned.

Did I expect the team to make the tourney this year? No. But I expected a good defensive team and top half of the A10 squad when there’s more talent on this roster than UMass has had in nearly 10 years. Not getting embarrassed on the road to middling A10 teams and UMass Lowell/LaSalle at home.

Sloppy, uninspired, out-hustled, bone headed plays, handing the ball to the other team, beat off the dribble over and over. Is that a Frank Martin team?

Cue the “did people expect him to turn it around in a single season?”. Considering where they were under McCall, the completely revamped roster with multiple top 100 guys, and a final four coach- yes I expected some kind of turnaround. I’m positive and patient by nature but I’ve had enough.
Bye Felicia ✌️
Last edited by inthescoop on Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:10 pm

inthescoop wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:08 pm
Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:04 pm Welp I’m officially checked out on this season. I’ll check out some games if time allows and tune into the A10 tourney.

Frank Martin is making top dollar and the team seems to get worse on a weekly basis. He’s 100% giving minutes his kid doesn’t deserve and acts like he’s being personally attacked when it’s mentioned.

Did I expect the team to make the tourney this year? No. But I expected a good defensive team and top half of the A10 squad when there’s more talent on this roster than UMass has had in nearly 10 years. Not getting embarrassed on the road to middling A10 teams and UMass Lowell/LaSalle at home.

Sloppy, uninspired, out-hustled, bone headed plays, handing the ball to the other team, beat off the dribble over and over. Is that a Frank Martin team?

Cue the “did people expect him to turn it around in a single season?”. Considering where they were under McCall, the completely revamped roster with multiple top 100 guys, and a final four coach- yes I expected some kind of turnaround. I’m positive and patient by nature but I’ve had enough.
Bye Felicia ✌️
Seriously. That’s pretty pathetic Worcester to Amherst.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:12 pm

I think we’re all forgetting that we’re playing without our BEST player.

Now think about how SJU would have looked out there today without Charlie Brown.

Think about it and use some logic. Case closed.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:19 pm

NilesGold wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:40 pm
69MG wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:14 pm You know what, these guys aren't as good as we thought they were. Not sure what to make of the defense. Defense is energy, effort and being in position. We don't have a lot of offensive weapons so we have to keep teams under 70 to win.
I disagree. The players are good... flawed in some ways, but real the problem is that Frank has no clue how to play to their strengths and shield from their weaknesses.

For example, Kante is a good offensive player, but a bad defender... UMass almost never got him the ball on offense, so his strength was wasted, and SJU exploited it even more at times when they didn't even have a center out there and Kante was trying to defend guys on the perimeter.
Maybe I didn't express this correctly. As you said, they have flaws. Good at some things, not good at others. And you are correct, Frank hasn't figured out how to maximize the strong suits of each player and cover up for the weaknesses. Keep it to 9 players:
Noah
Cross
Diggins (I'm hoping that he can keep this up now that his family situation is resolved)
Luis
Leveque

Off the bench:
DD (has earned 20-25 minutes)
TJ
Kante (Leveque can't go more than 20-25 minutes)
Gapare (I'm still convinced he needs 20 minutes to adjust to this level of competition. Live with the mistakes)

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:19 pm

inthescoop wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:12 pm I think we’re all forgetting that we’re playing without our BEST player.

Now think about how SJU would have looked out there today without Charlie Brown.

Think about it and use some logic. Case closed.
His name is Cameron (Cam) Brown.

UMass is 1-3 in A10 play with Fernandes playing, not exactly a panacea for this team.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:19 pm

Charlie Brown who hasn’t played since 2019? UMass is at the bottom of the standings after a great start and with a roster every fan thought was good as recently as before Christmas. I’ve never been a knee-jerk negative fan but things have been very bad since Dartmouth and people are still looking to make excuses. Do we think we played a good game and just needed Noah to get us over the edge? Noah played in the home loss to LaSalle.

You guys stay positive and I hope the team goes on a run. The talent is there.I just expected more from a Frank Martin team.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:25 pm

Quann wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:10 pm
inthescoop wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:08 pm

Bye Felicia ✌️
Seriously. That’s pretty pathetic Worcester to Amherst.
Can you explain what’s pathetic or false? Tuning out, for me, means taking a step back and not emotionally investing in the team. I’m still a fan and wish them the best and I will watch when I can. I’m not going after the kids. For me it’s not acceptable for the team to get worse as the season goes on with our big name, well paid, self-important coach.