Game 19, 2022-23: at Saint Joe's (1/21)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 19, 2022-23: at Saint Joe's (1/21)

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:48 pm

eldonabe wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:04 pm
Merlin Samuels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:38 am My impressions:

St. Joe's played an excellent first half and it seemed like every shot they missed was a long rebound that they then had a second chance with because our guys were crashing the boards. I couldn't believe the bounces that went their way. St. Joe's is definitely a streaky team that went on a couple hot runs and that was the ultimate difference.

The refs were whistle happy.

Cross played great. Having Fernandes back will diversify the offense because Cross kept getting doubled immediately.

B. Martin hustles and plays hard. I don't really understand the criticism, but I think he's an easy target being the coach's son and not being an offensive guy.

Sometimes I believe the guys go off the script on offense and get sloppy. This is usually when there are droughts.

Looking forward to the next two games at home. Both Richmond and Duquesne have struggled on the road this season so hopefully we take advantage of that.

Go UMass!
HE IS NOT EVEN 1 OF THE BEST 9 or 10 PLAYERS ON THEIR ROSTER. He is almost literally a black hole on offense - they are playing 4 on 5 when he is on the floor and they have the ball EVERY SINGLE TIME. He can be the hardest working man in college basketball for all I care, their team does not play well when he is on the floor.

He is stunting Gapare's growth for sure. He is a 5th year senior who is absolutely not going to be cashing any kind of pro paycheck in this sport (as a player).

Nobody want to offend anyone and call it like it is for fuck sakes. BRANDON IS NOT HELPING THIS TEAM.
Gapare is stunting his own growth. Gapare has a bright future, we all hope. Right now, when he gets in, he plays hero ball on offense and has a ton of trouble rebounding and playing D.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:55 pm

He's gotta get stronger. He's a young kid and I think the physicality of the game limits him. He'll get there, too much raw talent
Time to Win

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:43 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:44 am Where would you rather see the 10 minutes go? I think the front court is very weak and Brandon is the weakest, especially on offense. The construction of this roaster and the coach’s philosophy, both Frank’s responsibility, are going to allocate minutes the way he is. Even if Brandon wasn’t his son, the weakest link at the four is getting these minutes. Gapare is awful on defense. He is out of position all the time. He doesn’t rebound well. These are things that are common with freshmen. Brandon is averaging about 10 minutes recently, well below his season average.
In my humble opinion, the major crux of the problem is that the lineups in the aggregate at Frank is putting on the court often just don't work, and the usage of players on the offensive end when they're on the court is terrible.

For instance, Brandon by himself might be a useful 5-10 mpg guy, in small spurts for a little bit of extra rebounding help in a pinch if someone needs a breather. But he should never be used at the start of a half, and when he's in he should ideally be used with a lineup that has several other guys who can space the floor and can create offense, and he should never take a contested shot. The fact that game after game they're feeding him the ball in the paint so he can take a contested turnaround fadeaway jump shot is rec league shit.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:29 pm

NilesGold wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:43 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:44 am Where would you rather see the 10 minutes go? I think the front court is very weak and Brandon is the weakest, especially on offense. The construction of this roaster and the coach’s philosophy, both Frank’s responsibility, are going to allocate minutes the way he is. Even if Brandon wasn’t his son, the weakest link at the four is getting these minutes. Gapare is awful on defense. He is out of position all the time. He doesn’t rebound well. These are things that are common with freshmen. Brandon is averaging about 10 minutes recently, well below his season average.
In my humble opinion, the major crux of the problem is that the lineups in the aggregate at Frank is putting on the court often just don't work, and the usage of players on the offensive end when they're on the court is terrible.

For instance, Brandon by himself might be a useful 5-10 mpg guy, in small spurts for a little bit of extra rebounding help in a pinch if someone needs a breather. But he should never be used at the start of a half, and when he's in he should ideally be used with a lineup that has several other guys who can space the floor and can create offense, and he should never take a contested shot. The fact that game after game they're feeding him the ball in the paint so he can take a contested turnaround fadeaway jump shot is rec league shit.
This whole team has horrible shooting percentages. Brandon is the lowest. Gapare is shooting 37 %. DD, Brandon and Gapare are the guys who split minutes at the four. DD has been getting 20 or more a game. Gapare and Brandon split the leftover time. There is a huge drop off from DD to both for different reasons. My question was who gets the minutes if not Brandon? Keon and Rahsool shoot almost as bad a percentage from the guard position. Leveque isn’t shooting well either, getting about 17 minutes a game and Kante who is shooting well gets about 20 minutes a game. To me starting a game or half is more controlled and less likely to be a crucial time in a game. Last game starting the half was more crucial and Luis started.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:18 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:29 pm This whole team has horrible shooting percentages.
That is simply not true. 6 guys shoot 45% or better in eFG% - DD, Noah, Kante, TJ, RJ. Gapare is a good enough 3pt shooter that defenses respect him, so he doesn't hurt the floor spacing.
minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:29 pm My question was who gets the minutes if not Brandon? Keon and Rahsool shoot almost as bad a percentage from the guard position. Leveque isn’t shooting well either, getting about 17 minutes a game and Kante who is shooting well gets about 20 minutes a game. To me starting a game or half is more controlled and less likely to be a crucial time in a game. Last game starting the half was more crucial and Luis started.
Again, Brandon wouldn't be terrible for a minute here and there if you surround him with DD and RJ, and ideally Noah and Gapare. If Kante or Wildens are on the floor, I'd rather have some combination of Gapare, Cross, DD, RJ, TJ, Noah, Diggins out there with them than Brandon. But like I said, how these guys are used when on there also makes a big difference.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:17 pm

NilesGold wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:18 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:29 pm This whole team has horrible shooting percentages.
That is simply not true. 6 guys shoot 45% or better in eFG% - DD, Noah, Kante, TJ, RJ. Gapare is a good enough 3pt shooter that defenses respect him, so he doesn't hurt the floor spacing.
minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:29 pm My question was who gets the minutes if not Brandon? Keon and Rahsool shoot almost as bad a percentage from the guard position. Leveque isn’t shooting well either, getting about 17 minutes a game and Kante who is shooting well gets about 20 minutes a game. To me starting a game or half is more controlled and less likely to be a crucial time in a game. Last game starting the half was more crucial and Luis started.
Again, Brandon wouldn't be terrible for a minute here and there if you surround him with DD and RJ, and ideally Noah and Gapare. If Kante or Wildens are on the floor, I'd rather have some combination of Gapare, Cross, DD, RJ, TJ, Noah, Diggins out there with them than Brandon. But like I said, how these guys are used when on there also makes a big difference.
TJ is below 40% shooting. Noah, Kante and DD are the only ones at or above 45%. https://umassathletics.com/sports/mens- ... ts/2022-23 No idea what you were looking at. Noah has missed games, obviously. DD is the only consistent shooter this year. kante is averaging 7 points with that shooting percentage.

The issue with the lineups is real. That’s my point too, it is a puzzle that is very difficult to solve. He is going to get 10 minutes until Gapare takes the minutes from him. You won’t get them on the floor together. If Kante or Leveque can’t be in either DD or Gapare might be fill in at the five that. To keep them fresh, Brandon likely is the four in that situation. Brandon is going to get 5-6 two minute runs based on the roster, which is Frank’s doing as well.

doubledribble
Freshman

Post by doubledribble » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:59 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:29 pm
NilesGold wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:43 pm

This whole team has horrible shooting percentages. Brandon is the lowest. Gapare is shooting 37 %. DD, Brandon and Gapare are the guys who split minutes at the four. DD has been getting 20 or more a game. Gapare and Brandon split the leftover time. There is a huge drop off from DD to both for different reasons. My question was who gets the minutes if not Brandon? Keon and Rahsool shoot almost as bad a percentage from the guard position. Leveque isn’t shooting well either, getting about 17 minutes a game and Kante who is shooting well gets about 20 minutes a game. To me starting a game or half is more controlled and less likely to be a crucial time in a game. Last game starting the half was more crucial and Luis started.
Yes the number of misses right the rim is UNBELIEVABLE!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:30 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:17 pm TJ is below 40% shooting. Noah, Kante and DD are the only ones at or above 45%. https://umassathletics.com/sports/mens- ... ts/2022-23 No idea what you were looking at.
eFG% - Effective Field Goal Percentage; the formula is (FG + 0.5 * 3P) / FGA. This statistic adjusts for the fact that a 3-point field goal is worth one more point than a 2-point field goal. For example, suppose Player A goes 4 for 10 with 2 threes, while Player B goes 5 for 10 with 0 threes.

doubledribble
Freshman

Post by doubledribble » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:40 pm

Make shots at the rim PLEASE!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:26 pm

NilesGold wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:30 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:17 pm TJ is below 40% shooting. Noah, Kante and DD are the only ones at or above 45%. https://umassathletics.com/sports/mens- ... ts/2022-23 No idea what you were looking at.
eFG% - Effective Field Goal Percentage; the formula is (FG + 0.5 * 3P) / FGA. This statistic adjusts for the fact that a 3-point field goal is worth one more point than a 2-point field goal. For example, suppose Player A goes 4 for 10 with 2 threes, while Player B goes 5 for 10 with 0 threes.
Sorry missed the e. I didn’t calculate true shooting percentage either, but with the free throw woes, I’d bet those figures are not that great. This is not a good shooting team, IMO.