Game 23, 2022-23: Davidson (2/4)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 23, 2022-23: Davidson (2/4)

Post by inthescoop » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:24 pm

Floyd wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:06 pm
inthescoop wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:23 pm Wildens Leveque, what a disappointment - this guy was actually a force to be reckoned with in the SEC?

There are no way his knees are 100%, dude is probably playing with nonstop minor pain which is real tough physically and mentally - battling through for his senior year
Paragraph 1 to paragraph 2 is a total contradiction. Big disappointment to the guy is injured.

I like Wildens, hope he comes back
Jekyll and Hyde , always need to be reasonable and share both sides of the story - both can be correct
Last edited by inthescoop on Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:24 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:35 pm umasscollective Freshman
“Make an effort to do something other than complain. “

Do you mean like pay money to the Basketball NIL, support the Hoop Club, Pond Club, whatever the general Athletic fund is called now, 2 season tickets in 2 sports, donate to UMassHoops.com. Donate to the General Fund for over 40 years and a supporter of the Newman Centet. What exactly do I need to do I your your opinion to have an opinion? Look forward to your answer. Would have taken this private, but I thought others could benefit for knowing your expectations going forward!
Kudos to you, TruBluMaroon for your dedication and support of multiple programs over the decades. I wish we had more fans like you.

I also appreciate the folks that run The Collective. It's selfless volunteer work. I just wish they would spend more of their time on fundraising and recruiting members, and less time calling out longtime fans and alumni on here and on Twitter.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:41 pm

https://twitter.com/JosephAliberti1/sta ... 9094300672
Frank Martin says he cant see Noah (Fernandes) playing for the foreseeable future in today’s press conference

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:54 pm

Juice Stand wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:24 pm

Do you mean like pay money to the Basketball NIL, support the Hoop Club, Pond Club, whatever the general Athletic fund is called now, 2 season tickets in 2 sports, donate to UMassHoops.com. Donate to the General Fund for over 40 years and a supporter of the Newman Centet. What exactly do I need to do I your your opinion to have an opinion? Look forward to your answer. Would have taken this private, but I thought others could benefit for knowing your expectations going forward!
Kudos to you, TruBluMaroon for your dedication and support of multiple programs over the decades. I wish we had more fans like you.

I also appreciate the folks that run The Collective. It's selfless volunteer work. I just wish they would spend more of their time on fundraising and recruiting members, and less time calling out longtime fans and alumni on here and on Twitter.
I don’t pay attention to the names when I post. Maybe I can cut back in 1 area. Thanks 😁

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:02 pm

inthescoop wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:24 pm
Floyd wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:06 pm
inthescoop wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:23 pm Wildens Leveque, what a disappointment - this guy was actually a force to be reckoned with in the SEC?

There are no way his knees are 100%, dude is probably playing with nonstop minor pain which is real tough physically and mentally - battling through for his senior year
Paragraph 1 to paragraph 2 is a total contradiction. Big disappointment to the guy is injured.

I like Wildens, hope he comes back
Jekyll and Hyde , always need to be reasonable and share both sides of the story - both can be correct
Yeah. It's disappointing that he's injured. But don't have control over that unfortunately, and injuries do affect performance. I like his attitude and effort, and his size in the middle
Time to Win

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:05 pm

There was some talk in the Frank Martin thread of the game maybe passing him by, which I didn't buy into, but his comments after today's loss have made me revisit that. A lot of talk about "kids these days", which is never a good sign.

https://twitter.com/MLBergman_/status/1 ... 3172591616
That's getting harder and harder to teach these days. When previous generations played for guys like Bob Hurley, Morgan Wootten, or my high school coach Shaky Rodriguez you learn before anything to guard the ball. If you didn't guard the ball you never played.
https://twitter.com/UMassHoops_com/stat ... 0431599616
Frank in the postgame radio is bemoaning the general defensive effort, yearning for the days when guys either played D or sat, without hitting the portal if they didn’t like it.
For the record, I agree with him. Play tougher on defense, guard your man, all that. But don't frame it as "kids these days", it just looks bad.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:08 pm

Should be playing mostly zone defense the rest of the way as this team has to be the slowest team in the league. Plus a guy like Gapare, who is pathetic guarding his man might actually become a factor. Keon played well at the pt, but not defensively. His man drove past him constantly

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:20 pm

Juice Stand wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:05 pm There was some talk in the Frank Martin thread of the game maybe passing him by, which I didn't buy into, but his comments after today's loss have made me revisit that. A lot of talk about "kids these days", which is never a good sign.

That's getting harder and harder to teach these days. When previous generations played for guys like Bob Hurley, Morgan Wootten, or my high school coach Shaky Rodriguez you learn before anything to guard the ball. If you didn't guard the ball you never played.
Frank in the postgame radio is bemoaning the general defensive effort, yearning for the days when guys either played D or sat, without hitting the portal if they didn’t like it.
For the record, I agree with him. Play tougher on defense, guard your man, all that. But don't frame it as "kids these days", it just looks bad.
It looks bad to you and I’m sure many other fans, but how the players react is really the factor. The players appeared to be trying all game. They got torched by role players all game on defense. This was a winnable game and the defense blew it. The offense played better than expected.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:22 pm

Juice Stand wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:24 pm

Put that quote in the full context, not just the single sentence.

Appreciate what everyone does. All on the same team here. Go UMass! We’re on to Fordham.

www.TheMassCollective.com/join

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:29 pm

Camby4Life wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:20 pm
Juice Stand wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:05 pm There was some talk in the Frank Martin thread of the game maybe passing him by, which I didn't buy into, but his comments after today's loss have made me revisit that. A lot of talk about "kids these days", which is never a good sign.

It looks bad to you and I’m sure many other fans, but how the players react is really the factor. The players appeared to be trying all game. They got torched by role players all game on defense. This was a winnable game and the defense blew it. The offense played better than expected.
Agree with the first part of what you said, and I'm not saying the game has passed him by, just that those are weak comments and make him look like an out of touch old-timer. I'm not putting any stock in the performance today. Without 3 important perimeter defenders, they never had a chance to defend the way coach wants them to. It's hard to play for 40 minutes with one arm tied behind your back.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:47 pm

Killed on the boards and gave up tons of good looks from 3, of which Davidson hit most. Effort was an issue.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:19 pm

Watch the presser for yourself. The tweets are not reflective of the context or the message I got from watching the whole thing. He essentially was saying holding kids accountable doesn’t happen now until they get to college. The portal was. It what he was talking about. He was talking about moving from team to team before college. He was also saying he is trying to find ways to hold kids accountable. He also said he enjoys and likes all the guys on the team and that they are good people.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:24 pm

Tough loss to a sharp shooting team. No Luis, no Diggins, no Noah….Cross’ performance on light of his recent illness was remarkable.

Wildens….please stop attempting 3s.

Isaac…when you’re that close to the basket-dunk it!

I’m looking forward to a Gapare break-out game.

Keon played well offensively…12 assists against only 2 turnovers.

UMass blew the promotional aspect of today’s game. Other than 500 pink “replica” jerseys and one trivia question…absolutely zero Dr. J stuff…no videos, no visit from the man himself…nothing!

Meanwhile there were more references, including a video message fro Cal, to today being the 30th anniversary of the opening of the Bill than to Dr. J.

Coulda/shoulda been two distinct ‘days’.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:38 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:19 pm

Watch the presser for yourself. The tweets are not reflective of the context or the message I got from watching the whole thing. He essentially was saying holding kids accountable doesn’t happen now until they get to college. The portal was. It what he was talking about. He was talking about moving from team to team before college. He was also saying he is trying to find ways to hold kids accountable. He also said he enjoys and likes all the guys on the team and that they are good people.
Thanks for adding some context. Can you provide a link to the press conference?

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:07 pm

Juice Stand wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:38 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:19 pm

Thanks for adding some context. Can you provide a link to the press conference?
https://umassathletics.com/watch/?Archi ... &type=Live Here is the link to all of the pressers. Just click below the game feed for on demand and pick men’s basketball press conferences.