Game 16: 2022-23 La Salle (1/11)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 16: 2022-23 La Salle (1/11)

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:35 am

I'm not sure if I should be happy or mad about being wrong... it sucked he couldn't get back in the game, no matter the reason. My bad if my being benched theory is inaccurate.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:49 am

after watching the replay of that last play I would say Noah gagged. Once he dribbled to baseline and was cut off he had Cross open for an uncontested shot.
Last edited by stevemaz on Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:53 am

Noah did the same thing in the first half, forced up a bad shot at the buzzer instead of passing. The team is not cohesive right now.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:55 am

Battle Ax wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:33 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:25 am
stevemaz wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:23 am I noticed DD grabbing his chest area several times during 2nd half warmups so maybe he had an issue he was dealing with and that is why he stayed on the bench.

I think he got benched. If I remember the sequence correctly, he came down the court and got fouled (looked obviously to be), but there was no call. On the next possession, he had a VERY nice post move for a bucket, but after he hit it he turned to the ref on the baseline and said something, all right infront of the UMass bench. As the possession started to move the other way, I saw Frank lose his mind and immediately call for someone to go in. DD came out (to be fair, along with Cross, I believe) and then never saw the court again.
I believe it was an injury. During a timeout he was talking to his father pointing to his chest and grimacing. He even left with the trainer for a while
saw that - that was before the 2nd half started - he walked down the visitors tunnel and the trainer followed him - he came back in the game though and a minute later is when he said something to ref. I'm 1000% sure it was not injury related

in regards to Papa Gapare - I have seen him tweeting about the freshman needing to get more playing time - he's very careful not to mention Tafara's name - but you know he's referring to. My issue is Tafara has not been good the past few weeks when given an opportunity. He played basically the whole 2nd half last night and beside that out of control layup he got where he lost the ball and then got it back 3 times before laying it in he did nothing. How about doing what DD does when he comes in - knock down a 3 - make a steal or block - make it hard for the coach to take you out. Since Hofstra he has really done nothing. SLU was decent but 5 of his 8 points were at the FT line.

I think Gapare will be really good - but right now he's not taking advantage of the minutes he's getting, so Papa Gapare needs to be careful - Twitter can be mean - just a matter of time people start telling him to STFU!
Last edited by MakeMullinsGreatAgain on Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:56 am

Everyone sees playing Luis, Gapare, and Dre gives us the best chance of winning. Frank playing his son does not. I've been willing to be patient as those guys earn Frank's trust, but if we're just going to throw away a season out of stubbornnes, or whatever it is, that sucks. This game did it for me. We have superior players. It's time they play more than the coach's son.

Also agree with Floyd. Hoping they find a way to play w joy and passion out there.

Frank's assembled a heck of an A10 roster, but I have this concern, like Cal, that maybe the game's passed him by. Gotta get this back on track

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:59 am

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:31 pm another mistake in my opinion is how he handled he Dominguez situation - how about making him run some suicides tomorrow in practice - I understand Frank is trying to make these kids accountable and better humans, but whatever DD said to the ref, he didn't get a T. Frank asked that ref what DD said and once the ref told him, he pulled him and DD never got back in the game. If it was so bad why didn't the ref T him up? Dominguez was having one of his best games of his career and was single handedly keeping them in the game - Frank decides to prove a point and he hurts the whole team in the process.
Did coach hurt the team or did DD with his comments to the ref? You are transferring DD's actions to Frank and therefore placing accountability on him.
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:01 am

Ok, so we're back to him being benched?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:04 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:01 am Ok, so we're back to him being benched?
I got so pissed when I came home last night from the loss....the rest of my season tickets went right in my lighted fireplace!!!!
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

RagingCager
Freshman

Post by RagingCager » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:05 am

Juice Stand hit the nail on the head for me…. very disappointing state of affairs on the court and in the stands. You have 2 guys in the starting lineup getting extended minutes throughout the game who aren’t in during crunch time because there are better options available… time to remove those guys as starters and reduce their minutes accordingly. We also keep hearing Frank bitch about defense…. that’s also on him! Try playing different variations of zone if nec, you have several long, quick, very athletic guys, and mix it up to disrupt the flow. The small guard that was killing us was guarding RJ on D…. Huge size differential, why not take advantage of that?

Frank should be held accountable and judged solely on what is transpiring on the court and in the stands today, not on his past accomplishments or articulations before or after the games…. The dynamic is starting to remind me of the situation surrounding a certain football coach who works out of Foxboro…. very disappointing.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:08 am

UMass' D got shredded on the perimeter by La Salle.

RJ Luis has become far and away UMass' best perimeter defender, and at least in the last two games it's best offensive player as well.

UMass was down by 10 points with 5:22 to play, but then UMass' defense with a lineup that finally made sense led by Luis put the clamps down and they outscored La Salle 10-1 to end the game.

Luis played a total of 19 minutes last night... just completely infuriating that the coaches didn't play him earlier, more often, and fucked around with lineups for the first 35 minutes of the game.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:11 am

RagingCager wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:05 am Juice Stand hit the nail on the head for me…. very disappointing state of affairs on the court and in the stands. You have 2 guys in the starting lineup getting extended minutes throughout the game who aren’t in during crunch time because there are better options available… time to remove those guys as starters and reduce their minutes accordingly. We also keep hearing Frank bitch about defense…. that’s also on him! Try playing different variations of zone if nec, you have several long, quick, very athletic guys, and mix it up to disrupt the flow. The small guard that was killing us was guarding RJ on D…. Huge size differential, why not take advantage of that?

Frank should be held accountable and judged solely on what is transpiring on the court and in the stands today, not on his past accomplishments or articulations before or after the games…. The dynamic is starting to remind me of the situation surrounding a certain football coach who works out of Foxboro…. very disappointing.
Belichick should have been fired yesterday...But now it is on Kraft if they are a middling team again next year.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:18 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:01 am Ok, so we're back to him being benched?
I just get a bit concerned when i see a player rub his chest, which he did about 20+times. In the past 10 days we have seen a football player collapse on the field, an Old Dominion hoop player slumping to the court grasping his chest, and now an Air Force football player dropping dead on his way to class.... what could it be? Hmmmm....

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:22 am

Yes because the NFL is built for teams to have decades upon decades of championship contention with multiple quarterbacks at the helm.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:26 am

not back on it - there is absolutely no doubt in my mind he got benched for what he said - I sit five rows behind the bench - anyone within an earshot heard Frank ask the ref what he said - he immediately motioned for Cross and said "get his ass out of there" Kellogg then talked to DD when he got back to the bench.

And to the person who asked if Frank hurt the team or was it DD's fault? I blame Frank - you cannot have different rules for different guys. Noah actually got a technical vs St Bonnies and he did not get benched. Last night Frank took the refs word that DD said something to him - Frank didn't hear it - and I know I keep saying it, but if it was that bad why didn't the ref T DD up? Frank has a responsibility to the team, the University and to the fans to give them the best possible chance of winning - last night he did not. DD was the best player on the court - take him out, yell at him, tell him to shut his mouth - but don't bench him for the last 16 minutes of the game.

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:31 am

^ Very fair counter point. Appreciate your thoughts.
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date