Book from Tom McLaughlin: Step Into My Limo

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

Book from Tom McLaughlin: Step Into My Limo

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:36 pm

We're fortunate to have former UM player and coach Tom McLaughlin among our ranks here on the board. His posts are always quality.

He might not want to promote it himself, but I'll do that for him... Tom wrote (another) book, recently published:
Step Into My Limo: A Testament to 20 Years of Representing Pro Athletes

I just ordered a copy. Available on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Step-Into-Limo-T ... 0BLGK25PD/

I invite him to chime in on this thread and tell us about it!

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Re: Book from Tom McLaughlin: Step Into My Limo

Post by Juice Stand » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:15 pm

Awesome, I will definitely order a copy. What are his other books? Any UMass/bball related?

tom mclaughlin
Junior

Post by tom mclaughlin » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:23 pm

Mike thanks for your nice comments. I wrote Step Into My Limo so my 10 grandkids would know what there PaPa did for over 20 years representing pro athletes and I mention my teammates and of course Jack Leaman and the great fans. I also have a photo of the 1973 team that beat a ranked Missouri team in Madison Square Garden.
I also have stories about Julius Erving, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish. I also have stories about Red Auerbach, Tommy Heinsohn, John Havlicek and many others.
It was rated as high as number 2 in new releases and number 5 in Sports books. Last year I had another book My Irish Mom about growing up in the Woodlawn section of the Bronx, I talk about how I ended up transferring from Tennessee to UMass Best decision of my life because I met my wife Debbie of 47 years. UMass has always been a place close to my heart. I played on great teams with great players and have made friends for life. I have always been proud to be a UMass grad. Go UMass!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:23 pm

Bravo!

What a legend.

tom mclaughlin
Junior

Post by tom mclaughlin » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:58 pm

In both books My Irish Mom and Step Into My Limo I write about UMass Basketball mentioning teammates by name and include pictures of the team as well as photos of Julius in action at the Cage talking about the Syracuse game where he had 36 points and 32 rebounds where everyone took notice of us beating a ranked Syracuse team.
In both books I talk about Coach Leaman and how he was such a down to earth guy as were Ray Wilson and Pete Broaca.
I also tell a few inside stories about Larry Bird and Robert Parish. Then there is a great Red Auerbach and Tommy Heinsohn story where my mom has no idea who Red Auerbach is and asks him “ do I know you and who are you?” Great story because no one spoke to Red like that except an Irish Mom from the Bronx.
One story when Julius signed with the Virginia Squires at Coach Leaman’s house Al Bianchi from the Squires tells Coach Leaman in the kitchen “I hope he can play because we never saw him play.” oh a year later they found out he could play!
Guys on the team knew Julius was leaving when he showed up to play on the out door courts up on Orchard Hill with a new blue Lincoln Continental. Julius drove an old Chevy that would blow it’s horn whenever he turned right. Year's later Julius told me the Squires loaned him $10,000 he put down to buy the Lincoln.
I talk about John Calipari and how loyal he is to Jack Leaman and UMass and some personal stuff that John did.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:41 pm

^ Love it. Great stuff.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:24 pm

I’m looking forward to reading them both.

We were on campus at the same time. The Syracuse game is indelibly etched in my brain as my favorite UMass sports memory. I’ve reposted the thread on Julius’ birthday annually.

The Celtics stories sound like they’ll be fun to read as well.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

tom mclaughlin
Junior

Post by tom mclaughlin » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:35 pm

For year's I had the honor of working around the Celtics, Patriots and Red Sox. From my Jr year at UMass on I was able to practice with the Celtics and get to know Red Auerbach, Tommy Heinsohn, KC Jones, Chris Ford, Larry Bird, Robert Parish, Kevin McHale, Rick Carlisle, ML Carr and Jerry Sichting. Just great guys and got to watch them practice and win Championships. God has a purpose for all of us and transferring to UMass was part of that plan and my leaving coaching was also part of that plan. Now that I look back from my days at UMass it has all come full circle. Bob Woolf (RIP)was a blessing and he allowed me into his life and it resulted in my being able to be a small part in the lives of some of Boston’s biggest sports legends.
I always tried to stay low key and in the background and it all paid off my kids got to know some of the legends of Boston sports history up close and personal. It’s been quite a journey being teammates with so many great guys Julius Erving, Al Skinner, Charlie Peters, Chuck Olsen, Peter Trow, Rick Vogeley, John Murphy, Tommy Austin, Dick Samuelson, Rick Pitino, Billy Greeley, Jimmy Burke, Billy Endicott, Bob Dempsey, Sam Provo and so many other terrific guys. Best teammates you could ever find. UMass was the perfect place for this guy from the Bronx - wouldn’t trade the experience for amything - my beautiful wife is a UMass grad and 10 grandkids later it has been a great journey that started in little old Amherst.

classof60
Junior

Post by classof60 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:25 am

Ordered it on Amazon....will be here in time to take to Florida and read poolside