The Massachusetts Collective - NIL initiative

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
umasscollective
Junior

Re: The Massachusetts Collective - NIL initiative

Post by umasscollective » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:10 am

DanaDingle3 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:54 am If this is basketball focused, which I think it is, I can't imagine the school is relying on any private donations, i.e. court club members to fund basketball scholarships. Perhaps athletic admin can confirm. There has to be a separate book for court club donations.
Correct, this is a basketball only NIL collective. There are separate books for court club donations, operations, scholarships, etc. that are all controlled by the school, but donor funds do not contribute to scholarships. Contributions to the collective will be deployed directly to basketball athletes.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:16 am

We sent out a Membership Survey form a few days ago to all of our members. I’m going to open the form to non-members as well who would like to pose questions or suggestions. Answers to questions will be posted publicly here, on our website and emailed to all members by EOD Monday.

Feel free to fill out here and stay tuned: https://themassachusettscollective.form ... hip_survey

Go UMass!

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:30 am

Click on UMass, then scroll down and click on the large green in the pie chart: https://www.sportico.com/business/comme ... 234646029/

$12,184,320 - Athletic Student Aid - You can see team by team aid.

Is this not scholarships coming directly from the Department budget, which includes all donations? I understand that a specific Court Club donation goes to a specific project. Other than that, it appears that my dollar in can end up as part of a scholarship dollar out.

Has anyone got a better answer?
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:48 am

Old Cage wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:30 am Click on UMass, then scroll down and click on the large green in the pie chart: https://www.sportico.com/business/comme ... 234646029/

Is this not scholarships coming directly from the Department budget, which includes all donations? I understand that a specific Court Club donation goes to a specific project. Other than that, it appears that my dollar in can end up as part of a scholarship dollar out.

scholarships are an expense to the athletic department. Which basket of money it comes from is another question. Highly recommend you look at the financial section from the link below. page 30.

https://www.umass.edu/senate/sites/defa ... 2021_0.pdf
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:31 pm

Old Cage wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:30 am Click on UMass, then scroll down and click on the large green in the pie chart: https://www.sportico.com/business/comme ... 234646029/

Again - Can’t provide any further guidance on this, recommend you contact athletics directly with this question.

But by contributing to the collective, you are not putting scholarship funding at risk.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:12 pm

Old Cage wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:30 am Is this not scholarships coming directly from the Department budget, which includes all donations? I understand that a specific Court Club donation goes to a specific project. Other than that, it appears that my dollar in can end up as part of a scholarship dollar out.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I think this is just a matter of fungibility. You can't distinctly disaggregate the money going out by the sources of the money going in.
But so long as the school hosts Division I sports in the Atlantic 10, they will fund Men's and Women's Basketball scholarships.
It's not discretionary if it's a requirement (although maybe the requirements are max scholarships, not min? not sure).
Perhaps it will leave less donor funds for discretionary expenditures such as upgrades in weight room equipment, buying out coaches, etc.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

umasscollective
Junior

Need Your Help - The Massachusetts Collective

Post by umasscollective » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:06 pm

WE'RE STUCK.

We broke fast from the gate and got to over 130 members, but our pace has collapsed. UMass is 4-1, and we have had a grand total of 2 new members since the Tournament Win a week ago. 

WE NEED YOUR HELP

Our Goal is 250 Members by the Harvard Game 12/2. We need EVERY MEMBER OF UMASSHOOPS.com to join and recruit at least 1 new collective member by the Harvard Game. We implore you to talk to your friends, fellow fans, etc and encourage them to join.

Questions? EMail [email protected] OR Call/Text 413-687-5232

www.TheMassCollective.com

DanaDingle3
Junior

Re: Need Your Help - The Massachusetts Collective

Post by DanaDingle3 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:16 pm

Absolutely. We, as fans, can't sit around and hope or observe without getting involved in NIL, because UMass will fall behind. In some ways, NIL levels the playing for a school like UMass. As people and businesses invest, that'll have a positive ripple effect for all.

The Collective also gives a voice to each contributer. One can get involved in a real tangible way here.

Let's push UMass hoops forward!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:51 pm

What are the benefits of joining?

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:08 pm

inthescoop wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:51 pm What are the benefits of joining?
Visit our website for benefits for each membership level. Feel free to reach out anytime with questions.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:22 am

First I've heard of "The Massachusetts Collective"

more info I looked up ...

https://corp.sec.state.ma.us/CorpWeb/Co ... BewAqhw1o-

re: Benefits
https://www.themasscollective.com/join

Business Partners:
https://www.themasscollective.com/business-members
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:37 am

It’s something much needed if we are to stay competitive in this new NIL era. I joined and I hope others do too.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:57 pm

What are you folks doing for recruiting members? Have you considered organizing a watch party for the Harvard game? A lot of fans won't be able to attend the game since it's in such a tiny gym. Seems like a good opportunity to get people together to watch, drink some beers, and promote the collective.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:39 pm

I just saw that the collective is hosting an information session tonight at 6:30 on Twitter. I wonder if they'll consider moving this to another time so it doesn't interfere with the pregame on the radio.
https://twitter.com/TheMassCo/status/15 ... 1119151104

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:31 pm

Not for me at this time but wish you best of luck