Game 6, 2022-23: at South Florida (11/29)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
SignMan
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 6, 2022-23: at South Florida (11/29)

Post by SignMan » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:10 pm

Well, another old & tired nite hear.
Didn't realize we had game tonite.
Checked t Box...nice 15 guys with 11-15, & Noah w lots of dishes.
Skimmed t posts here. Fans seriously complaining about not winning by more?
What have you been watching the past ++ years?
All not lost here tonite.
Mr & Mrs SM did get out for dinner tonight, locally.
Very surprised that Monkee, Mickey Dolenz, was there. We chatted a brief 2 minutes after our respective eats. Nice guy.
Smiles and 2 fist taps from him.
Saw him in concert with Michael Nesmith 14 mo.ago before MN passed on.
Neither one shot hoops that night.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:40 pm

That’s what you’re getting out of this thread? That people are complaining we aren’t winning by more? The general sentiment seems to be happy we won without playing really well.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:55 am

It's hard to win on the road. In his five years, McCall's teams went 11-32 (0.256) in true road games, and 5-13 (0.278) in neutral site games*. We're 4-0 in neutral/road games this season. I'll take that no matter how it looks. These guys are still learning how to play together, how to take Frank's coaching, and just had a week+ break. This is exactly what I figured this team would look like in November, I didn't however, think that we'd also be winning all these games. 5-1 is awesome, and this group will start to gel and get very dangerous as we move through December. On to Harvard.

*I grabbed these numbers from the UMassHoops.com season-by-season history pages.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:09 am

69MG wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:10 pm ^ Len, I agree about DD. We all could see that he had talent but he never looked comfortable the last two years. Whatever the coaching staff has done in working with him has done wonders. There's a term called "player development" and this staff understands it. I'm really happy for him.
I agree, len makes a good point. DD is a different player and has embraced the hard work and hard coaching style that Frank brings. He's got good size, and his athleticism to get out and run has been impressive. He's been a nice surprise so far. Keep it up DD, your energy off the bench has been a nice spark
Time to Win

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:32 am

DD has embraced being the energy guy. Score in transition and take open 3's. He has realized he's not a post up guy and doesn't take unnecessary shots. He will be up and down but as long as he brings that energy he will be fine.. RJ is going to be really good.. Diggins is becoming more comfortable and does the little things.. Gapare looked more comfortable and will get better each game. Another tough one on Friday, then we get to be at home for a bit.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:35 am

Though sloppy at times, this was a good win. This team is winning with defense and good 3 pt% and I believe will begin to figure out things on offense as the season moves along. That said, there is no reason this team cannot begin A10 play with a 11-1 record if they stay strong on the defensive end.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:30 am

Wildens really had a nice game. Scored down low ( love that he can go with that left hand jump hook) and hit a couple nice threes. Rebounded well, and is a good shot blocker. Never see him hang his head, and he's better every game. He's got a nice jumper, so I don't mind him taking a few threes if they're open.

Diggins is starting to come on too. Plays smart, takes whats there, and his D is very good. Really starting to like him out there

This team has got some nice balance, and I think Frank is using his bench very well getting guys involved. The staff has done a nice job preparing these guys so far and they all seem to be buying in.

Keep it up boys
Time to Win

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:32 am

Jacks statman wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:44 pm Does anyone know why Keon Thompson did not play tonight?
An injury was mentioned. Don't know what.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:35 am

Floyd and others - It needs to be mentioned that long-time board regular Swampfield was seated behind our bench. :)
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:54 am

Old Cage wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:35 am Floyd and others - It needs to be mentioned that long-time board regular Swampfield was seated behind our bench. :)
Mr. Laughs was there?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:03 am

They started out looking like they hadn't played in forever... I guess no surprise there. They recovered from that quickly and looked mostly fantastic until about 5-4 minutes left in the game. Solid D, running the floor well, not making too many mental errors... DD is really showing us something, which is a nice boost.

Not sure what happened at the end, but that needs to be cleaned up. A better opponent would have eaten us alive with those mistakes.

Beyond the sloppy finish, there isn't too much to complain about here... this feels good, it doesn't feel inflated as it has in years past, and I really like the style of play (also, not surprising). A couple days of practice and prep and we're onto Allston.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:21 am

anyone notice at the under 4 timeout Frank just sitting there in disgust and not talking to the players? Kellogg eventually stood up and said something - my first thought was Frank trying to let them figure it out and is DK stepping on his toes - or was it a test to see which one of his assistants was going to step up and be a leader. DK has been very vocal so far and has in my opinion emerged as the 2nd in charge, which is surprising based on how late he joined the staff. Ricky Harris has even gathered the guards during a TO and gotten in their faces. I know I do not see the practices but it seems as though the guys Frank brought from SC don't do a heck of a lot during the games - maybe they know better not to? Which brings me to my earlier thought - was DK stepping on Franks toes there?

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:28 am

Floyd wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:09 am
69MG wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:10 pm ^ Len, I agree about DD. We all could see that he had talent but he never looked comfortable the last two years. Whatever the coaching staff has done in working with him has done wonders. There's a term called "player development" and this staff understands it. I'm really happy for him.
I agree, len makes a good point. DD is a different player and has embraced the hard work and hard coaching style that Frank brings. He's got good size, and his athleticism to get out and run has been impressive. He's been a nice surprise so far. Keep it up DD, your energy off the bench has been a nice spark
Coach Martin had an interesting take on Dyondre's contributions last night:
“He’s got to learn to be more consistent,” Martin said. “He’s got to learn how to not spend the game talking to fans in the stands and looking in cameras and celebrating. He’s grown up a lot as a young person and he’s been extremely helpful to us. He’s got to learn how to play for us and not get engaged in stuff that’s not [happening] on the court.”
https://dailycollegian.com/2022/11/umas ... turnovers/

Man, that's some funny stuff. He was probably the player of the game and Frank is letting everyone know, the job's not done.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:36 am

Juice Stand wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:28 am
Coach Martin had an interesting take on Dyondre's contributions last night:
“He’s got to learn to be more consistent,” Martin said. “He’s got to learn how to not spend the game talking to fans in the stands and looking in cameras and celebrating. He’s grown up a lot as a young person and he’s been extremely helpful to us. He’s got to learn how to play for us and not get engaged in stuff that’s not [happening] on the court.”
https://dailycollegian.com/2022/11/umas ... turnovers/

Man, that's some funny stuff. He was probably the player of the game and Frank is letting everyone know, the job's not done.

When he had that first runout for the dunk and made the gesture to the camera on the baseline, I thought to myself that Frank was going to absolutely scold him for that... or at least take him out of the game. Well, that didn't happen... and not long after he got another breakout and dunk and did it again!!! I didn't see anything on the broadcast showing Frank throw a nutty on DD, but these postgame quotes come as no surprise.

No nonsense kinda guy is an understatement.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:48 am

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:21 am anyone notice at the under 4 timeout Frank just sitting there in disgust and not talking to the players? Kellogg eventually stood up and said something - my first thought was Frank trying to let them figure it out and is DK stepping on his toes - or was it a test to see which one of his assistants was going to step up and be a leader. DK has been very vocal so far and has in my opinion emerged as the 2nd in charge, which is surprising based on how late he joined the staff. Ricky Harris has even gathered the guards during a TO and gotten in their faces. I know I do not see the practices but it seems as though the guys Frank brought from SC don't do a heck of a lot during the games - maybe they know better not to? Which brings me to my earlier thought - was DK stepping on Franks toes there?
I don't know about the rest of what you posted, maybe a bit over the top but in Frank's coaching system the assistant that did the scouting is second in command on game day. The other guys have roles, like charting rebounds and block outs for use in breaking down the game afterwards.