Game 6, 2022-23: at South Florida (11/29)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 6, 2022-23: at South Florida (11/29)

Post by natwam2547 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:50 am

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:21 am anyone notice at the under 4 timeout Frank just sitting there in disgust and not talking to the players? Kellogg eventually stood up and said something - my first thought was Frank trying to let them figure it out and is DK stepping on his toes - or was it a test to see which one of his assistants was going to step up and be a leader. DK has been very vocal so far and has in my opinion emerged as the 2nd in charge, which is surprising based on how late he joined the staff. Ricky Harris has even gathered the guards during a TO and gotten in their faces. I know I do not see the practices but it seems as though the guys Frank brought from SC don't do a heck of a lot during the games - maybe they know better not to? Which brings me to my earlier thought - was DK stepping on Franks toes there?
No

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:57 am

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:21 am anyone notice at the under 4 timeout Frank just sitting there in disgust and not talking to the players? Kellogg eventually stood up and said something - my first thought was Frank trying to let them figure it out and is DK stepping on his toes - or was it a test to see which one of his assistants was going to step up and be a leader. DK has been very vocal so far and has in my opinion emerged as the 2nd in charge, which is surprising based on how late he joined the staff. Ricky Harris has even gathered the guards during a TO and gotten in their faces. I know I do not see the practices but it seems as though the guys Frank brought from SC don't do a heck of a lot during the games - maybe they know better not to? Which brings me to my earlier thought - was DK stepping on Franks toes there?

Saw that... Frank walked out of the huddle early, which I took as him being bullshit with how they were playing and must have said something along the lines of "(FUCKING?) FIGURE IT OUT" to the players. I think I saw Noah talk and then both DK and Allen communicate and initiate breaking the huddle.

Allen was the "Scout Coach" last night and he was up and most vocal throughout the game. DK mostly sat there yesterday, as far as I could tell. When you watch the games, the "Scout Coach" always sits in the first seat, then Frank's seat, then the rest of the staff. DK was the "Scout Coach" in game 1 and I recall it being somewhat jarring with how vocal he was considering everything that has happened... but as it turns out, that's exactly what Frank wants.

I really didn't pay much attention to how Frank managed things at SC and KSU, but he certainly seems to allow his staff to be part of the process. He's been fairly successful in his career, so I am not going to complain about it for the time being.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:05 am

yes I noticed that...seemed like the players weren't sure what to do. Not sure Frank would think DK was stepping on his toes...I have to believe every assistant can speak their minds without fearing Frank will be pissed.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:16 am

I don't get the sense that Frank worries about people stepping on his toes. I see him as a tough coach who teaches his players and allows his coaches to as well. Guys like Wildens, Woodley, and BM wouldn't follow him here if they didn't feel like he pushes them to be their best, and really cares about them.
Time to Win

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:19 am

Old Cage wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:35 am Floyd and others - It needs to be mentioned that long-time board regular Swampfield was seated behind our bench. :)
Wish he would post here once in a while. Always liked Swampy, hope he is doing well
Time to Win

UMass1927
Sophomore

Post by UMass1927 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:00 am

I think Frank was really angry and didn't want to say or do anything he would regret... so he sat out the team huddle during the timeout.

The man knows his limits.
Make UMass Basketball Great Again

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:12 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:03 am
Not sure what happened at the end, but that needs to be cleaned up. A better opponent would have eaten us alive with those mistakes.

USF went into swarm mode and UMass didn't have an answer.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:31 am

capezona wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:12 am
USF went into swarm mode and UMass didn't have an answer.

Ha, yes... I guess I'm not sure why they didn't have an answer, but I suspect it will be cleaned up moving forward.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:42 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:36 am
Juice Stand wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:28 am
Coach Martin had an interesting take on Dyondre's contributions last night:
“He’s got to learn to be more consistent,” Martin said. “He’s got to learn how to not spend the game talking to fans in the stands and looking in cameras and celebrating. He’s grown up a lot as a young person and he’s been extremely helpful to us. He’s got to learn how to play for us and not get engaged in stuff that’s not [happening] on the court.”
https://dailycollegian.com/2022/11/umas ... turnovers/

Man, that's some funny stuff. He was probably the player of the game and Frank is letting everyone know, the job's not done.

When he had that first runout for the dunk and made the gesture to the camera on the baseline, I thought to myself that Frank was going to absolutely scold him for that... or at least take him out of the game. Well, that didn't happen... and not long after he got another breakout and dunk and did it again!!! I didn't see anything on the broadcast showing Frank throw a nutty on DD, but these postgame quotes come as no surprise.

No nonsense kinda guy is an understatement.
Frank threw a nutty on DD on the bench with a few minutes left in the game. I don’t recall the exact play but there were a couple of times DD was out of position for out of bounds plays and I think one led to a turnover. DD looked frustrated on his way back to the bench, not sure if he said something to set Frank off or just his body language but Frank followed him to his seat and got right in his face with a what the fuck did you just say to me tone.

Luis was the other guy who got lit up after some turnovers. RJ had a big family presence in the crowd who made the trip from Miami, great to see him have a solid game minus the turnovers.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:38 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:36 am
Juice Stand wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:28 am
Coach Martin had an interesting take on Dyondre's contributions last night:

https://dailycollegian.com/2022/11/umas ... turnovers/

Man, that's some funny stuff. He was probably the player of the game and Frank is letting everyone know, the job's not done.

When he had that first runout for the dunk and made the gesture to the camera on the baseline, I thought to myself that Frank was going to absolutely scold him for that... or at least take him out of the game. Well, that didn't happen... and not long after he got another breakout and dunk and did it again!!! I didn't see anything on the broadcast showing Frank throw a nutty on DD, but these postgame quotes come as no surprise.

No nonsense kinda guy is an understatement.

Shades of Ajmal Basit... that kid would celebrate after single successful dribble.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:28 pm

I don’t think it was during a timeout but rather a review situation where the players gathered near the bench. I have not seen anything yet that would make me believe he would not be involved during a timeout late in a game that wasn’t decided yet.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:07 pm

TheOFFSeason wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:28 pm

I don’t think it was during a timeout but rather a review situation where the players gathered near the bench. I have not seen anything yet that would make me believe he would not be involved during a timeout late in a game that wasn’t decided yet.
Only posting these for reference.... I do not find either situation to be a big deal at all....

The "sitting on the bench and DK coaching" was during a timeout at the 31.5 second mark.

The "storming out of the huddle" moment was during the timeout at the 22.1 second mark.

There were two review situations related to the foot out of bounds and something with the clock, but they both occurred before these two timeouts.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:09 pm

DK was definitely not stepping on his toes. That's what assistant coaches are for.

I think due to our past of having insignificant assistant coaches who just sit there and do nothing. we're simply not used to it.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:45 pm

I wonder if Diggy has surpassed Keon on the depth charts or if Keon has a meaningful injury. My impression is that RD is elevating his game and that Frank felt safer with him against the talent level in the AAC. Still like what I'm seeing from Keon and hope to see him play some minutes against Harvard.

Clearly, Frank would like to get Gapare some minutes. I think we will see a lot of him against Albany and Dartmouth. He is clearly experiencing adjustments to D1 competition but he is getting limited minutes ahead of Gianni. You can see flashes of his natural ability out there but he still looks like a deer in the headlights out there. We haven't gained big enough leads to offer him bigger minutes yet.

Really impressed with DD. He doesn't offer much at the 5 but he's played the 4 well and is solid in transition and guards inbound passes very well. He gets up an down the floor with intent and energy and will bang down low when needed. He's a completely different player this year and he is performing well against solid competition. I think he will contribute greatly in conference play and could start a number of games.

Brandon Martin brings an experienced starter who can bang and rebound on both ends of the court. He gives us second chances. His offense is pretty weak, this year's version of Kolton, but does other things well and compensates for his liabilities. You can only have one offensive liability on the floor at a time, however, so I think his overall minutes will be limited. It seems that we have a three or four person battle for minutes at the 4 - BM, DD, MC, and TG. We slide over Matt from 3 to 4 when we have both TJ and RJ in at the same time. I think Martin's minutes will continue to decrease as RJ, DD and TG continue to develop.

I feel bad for Gianni. So few minutes, so far. But this is a deep team.
Refuse To Lose!!!

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:23 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:45 pm I wonder if Diggy has surpassed Keon on the depth charts or if Keon has a meaningful injury. My impression is that RD is elevating his game and that Frank felt safer with him against the talent level in the AAC. Still like what I'm seeing from Keon and hope to see him play some minutes against Harvard.

Clearly, Frank would like to get Gapare some minutes. I think we will see a lot of him against Albany and Dartmouth. He is clearly experiencing adjustments to D1 competition but he is getting limited minutes ahead of Gianni. You can see flashes of his natural ability out there but he still looks like a deer in the headlights out there. We haven't gained big enough leads to offer him bigger minutes yet.

Really impressed with DD. He doesn't offer much at the 5 but he's played the 4 well and is solid in transition and guards inbound passes very well. He gets up an down the floor with intent and energy and will bang down low when needed. He's a completely different player this year and he is performing well against solid competition. I think he will contribute greatly in conference play and could start a number of games.

Brandon Martin brings an experienced starter who can bang and rebound on both ends of the court. He gives us second chances. His offense is pretty weak, this year's version of Kolton, but does other things well and compensates for his liabilities. You can only have one offensive liability on the floor at a time, however, so I think his overall minutes will be limited. It seems that we have a three or four person battle for minutes at the 4 - BM, DD, MC, and TG. We slide over Matt from 3 to 4 when we have both TJ and RJ in at the same time. I think Martin's minutes will continue to decrease as RJ, DD and TG continue to develop.

I feel bad for Gianni. So few minutes, so far. But this is a deep team.
Keon was hurt this game so he was able to play hopefully it’s not too serious. Gianni will steal some minutes when guys get foul trouble but not much out of that but I think he has upside long term