KAEO Reggie (RJ) Luis

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
thecaptain
Senior

Re: KAEO Reggie (RJ) Luis

Post by thecaptain » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:39 pm

The way Frank rips into this kid each game, he will either be the best player in UMass history, or he will transfer before we start conference play. :lol:

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:51 pm

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:13 pm I feel he should be starting over Martin. I think Martin definitely has a role on this team - maybe 4-5 minutes a half, but no way should he still be starting. Others have mentioned DD starting over Martin but I like DD coming off the bench as a high energy guy. Luis still makes some freshman mistakes but his upside is through the roof
I had the same thoughts but after watching last nights game and the way Frank subs, there is nothing wrong with Martin starting. DD went in for him a couple minutes into the game when Brandon gave up an offensive board.

Let Luis watch the beginning of the game from the bench and see how the game is being played. It’s all a learning experience as a true freshman. He will earn his playing time by limiting mistakes.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:00 pm

Camby4Life wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:51 pm
MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:13 pm I feel he should be starting over Martin. I think Martin definitely has a role on this team - maybe 4-5 minutes a half, but no way should he still be starting. Others have mentioned DD starting over Martin but I like DD coming off the bench as a high energy guy. Luis still makes some freshman mistakes but his upside is through the roof
I had the same thoughts but after watching last nights game and the way Frank subs, there is nothing wrong with Martin starting. DD went in for him a couple minutes into the game when Brandon gave up an offensive board.

Let Luis watch the beginning of the game from the bench and see how the game is being played. It’s all a learning experience as a true freshman. He will earn his playing time by limiting mistakes.
I agree. I think starting is overblown. Right now, Luis is getting more minutes than Martin. I think it's fine that Martin starts and Luis and DD come off the bench. Brandon plays tough D, gets rebounds and often fouls early in the game with his aggressiveness. Then in comes Luis or DD. Could be a winning strategy. Oh right, it is.

Not Trigger
Junior

Post by Not Trigger » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:45 pm

Am I the only one that thinks Luis resembles a young Reggie Lewis?

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:45 pm

^ He reminds me of maybe a 10 game stretch where Preston Santos played out of his mind (scoring, rebounding and defense). About the same size and athletic ability. Unfortunately, Preston couldn't sustain it but I think RJ will continue to improve,

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:13 pm

Well RJ has something that resembles a very good jump shot.. Preston didn't and that's why it didn't last. The Reggie Lewis comparison is a bridge way way too far at this point.. like not even in the same time zone.. but RJ looks to have the size and skill to be a really good player in the A10

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:44 am

I think you can say someone reminds you of a young (insert player here) without them saying they are that player now or that they are as good as that player.

Of course RJ Luis is not Reggie Lewis — that’s silly — but saying he makes you think of a young Lewis isn’t imo. I watched the latter quite a bit at Northeastern and Luis does have some similarities. That same wiry build with good athleticism and ability to score.

I don’t see the Santos comparison outside of having similar sizes. I thought Santos had the potential to be a starter on a good team but was never going to be one of the go to guys on offense. His value was going to come in his defense and then chipping in on offense as a garbage man. I think RJ could potentially develop into a top 1-2 option offensively on a good team while also being a good defender. Will he get there? No idea.

I don’t think think he’ll ever be as good as Reggie was, but his game and build certainly remind me a little bit of a young Reggie after thinking about it.

I generally dislike the player comparison game because I think a lot of times it’s done lazily (white guys get compared to previous white guys, Europeans get compared to Europeans etc) but I can see why someone would say RJ reminds them of a young Reggie.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:14 am

I'm going to defend my Santos comparison. I just looked up the stretch I was thinking of. It was actually 7 games and I recall Preston being an unreal energy guy, playing great D and getting deflections, etc. In that 7 game stretch he averaged 11 points and 5 boards per game and shot 8/19 from 3. That's what I see from RJ.

That being said, RJ has the talent to sustain this and he will even get better as he gets more PT. Preston only had that 1 spurt but he was a real spark off the bench for those 7 games.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:45 am

Yeah I just don’t think Santos has the same type of upside at the offensive end — specifically with getting his own shot. I guess I can understand the defensive potential part.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:41 pm

capezona wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:00 pm

I agree. I think starting is overblown. Right now, Luis is getting more minutes than Martin. I think it's fine that Martin starts and Luis and DD come off the bench. Brandon plays tough D, gets rebounds and often fouls early in the game with his aggressiveness. Then in comes Luis or DD. Could be a winning strategy. Oh right, it is.
is it overblown though? we got down 10-3 - not solely because of Martin, but defenses do not have to defend him so now they are doubling someone else. IF Luis or DD start they at least have to respect them and maybe we go up 10-3 or at least keep it even until we can get into the flow of the game. We can't go down 10-3 to everyone and expect DD or Luis to come in a save the game. As I have said several times, Martin has a role - someone mentioned a better version of Kolten - perfect example

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:09 pm

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:41 pm
capezona wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:00 pm

is it overblown though? we got down 10-3 - not solely because of Martin, but defenses do not have to defend him so now they are doubling someone else. IF Luis or DD start they at least have to respect them and maybe we go up 10-3 or at least keep it even until we can get into the flow of the game. We can't go down 10-3 to everyone and expect DD or Luis to come in a save the game. As I have said several times, Martin has a role - someone mentioned a better version of Kolten - perfect example
Also a time where we had kante gapare and Martin all in and we blew like a 8 point lead took that awful lineup out and they scored 5 the rest of the first half

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:36 pm

Can't believe the comparisons of BM to Kolton Mitchell. Getting ridiculous here. Kolton NEVER saw the floor on below average A10 teams under MM. Not trying to hate on the kid (Kolton) but BM is a much more valuable player to this team.

The slow start was because we didn''t hit shit for shots after that first 3 by TJ, but this team being down 10-3 early in a game is nothing. They were up 15 the 2nd half and got a little sloppy, but this wasn't a Brandon Martin issue. Frank knows & trusts his kid a little more right now
& Frank pulls him just like he does everyone else. The nepotism talk is crazy
Time to Win

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:35 pm

If Woodley didn't have to leave, we wouldn be seeing Brandon Martin more than a few minutes a game and he wouldn't be starting. I'm glad we have Brandon exactly because things happen and depth is important.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

HerndonHops
Sophomore

Post by HerndonHops » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:48 pm

Floyd wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:36 pm Can't believe the comparisons of BM to Kolton Mitchell. Getting ridiculous here. Kolton NEVER saw the floor on below average A10 teams under MM. Not trying to hate on the kid (Kolton) but BM is a much more valuable player to this team.

The slow start was because we didn''t hit shit for shots after that first 3 by TJ, but this team being down 10-3 early in a game is nothing. They were up 15 the 2nd half and got a little sloppy, but this wasn't a Brandon Martin issue. Frank knows & trusts his kid a little more right now
Spot on.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:49 pm

Floyd wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:36 pm Can't believe the comparisons of BM to Kolton Mitchell. Getting ridiculous here. Kolton NEVER saw the floor on below average A10 teams under MM. Not trying to hate on the kid (Kolton) but BM is a much more valuable player to this team.

!!!

People here have compared BM to Kolton Mitchell? :lol: :lol:

You can't fix stupid.