The Massachusetts Collective - NIL initiative

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: The Massachusetts Collective - NIL initiative

Post by Floyd » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:45 pm

Thanks Preecher
Wow, I can't begin to imagine how much more difficult it will be for coaches to recruit and run a program. Have a good season and higher profile schools just poach you away with more $$.
Time to Win

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:37 pm

A few questions about this.

- Did Gapare initially commit to UMass on the promise of signing an NIL deal, or did he commit to UMass the old fashioned way (because he likes the school and coach)?
- Does this signing mean he's here for at least one more year, or is it just a thank you for being here for this year (is it a deal for this year or multiple years)?
- Now that it's signed sealed and delivered, what if Tafara backs out?
- Are there any other players on the horizon for the collective, and what input will members have in prioritizing who to sign?

These are questions, not criticisms. I understand that this is modern college athletics and this is the way business is being done, just trying to get some clarification.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:26 pm

69MG wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:28 pm Gapare is the first player signed. Welcome to the new world of college athletics where you have to find a way to legally pay your good, young players if you want to keep them. I'm happy for the signing but I hate that it has come down to this. Disclaimer: I am a member of the collective. It's a necessary evil.

https://irp.cdn-website.com/ea9bf522/fi ... %20PRF.pdf
Thanks so much for being a member!

It is certainly a weird time, but this was a one way conversation with this player. We want to be proactive, not reactive. And realistically if we want to compete, we need a strong NIL program. Thats what I intend to build.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:28 pm

UMassRed wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:06 pm times sadly have changed...so, without the nil inititive, gapare would not have come to umass or is this to keep him here?...just curious
This was a one way conversation The Collective initiated. We want to be proactive, not reactive. But The Collective didn't even exist when he came to UMass.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:30 pm

tom mclaughlin wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:07 pm As a former proud UMass basketball player I just donated to the UMass NIL and I urge all the former players to contribute and help the current student/athletes.
UMass has been very good to all of us and needs our support. Go UMass - a great University with great people.
Coach! Thank you so much for joining and for the kind words. Would love to speak with you sometime in the next few days about The Collective and would appreciate your advice on some things. I will reach out via direct message. Thanks!

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:31 pm

Floyd wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:21 pm Question, once a player gets a NIL deal, does it bind them to the school for any particular time, or can they just move around to whoever gives them a better deal elsewhere?
You cannot write this into an agreement. Our counsel has said the best way to structure deals are shorter term deals, with clear and concrete deliverables.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:37 pm

Floyd wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:45 pm Thanks Preecher
Wow, I can't begin to imagine how much more difficult it will be for coaches to recruit and run a program. Have a good season and higher profile schools just poach you away with more $$.
I think this narrative is overstated. Fit matters. Life after basketball matters.

Will it change some things for a handful of players? Sure. But that happens anyway if a player wildly overachieves somewhere. And NIL money isn't unlimited. Some of the bigger schools actually don't even have functioning NIL resources.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:40 pm

Juice Stand wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:37 pm A few questions about this.

- Did Gapare initially commit to UMass on the promise of signing an NIL deal, or did he commit to UMass the old fashioned way (because he likes the school and coach)?
- Does this signing mean he's here for at least one more year, or is it just a thank you for being here for this year (is it a deal for this year or multiple years)?
- Now that it's signed sealed and delivered, what if Tafara backs out?
- Are there any other players on the horizon for the collective, and what input will members have in prioritizing who to sign?

These are questions, not criticisms. I understand that this is modern college athletics and this is the way business is being done, just trying to get some clarification.
1. The Collective didn't even exist when Gapare signed, it was a one way conversation we initiated recently.
2. We cant disclose the specifics of the deal, but he has no binding commitment to UMass or The Collective. Contracts cant be written that way due to NCAA regulations.
3. Thats his choice.
4. Several players and deals on the horizon. We discuss in our bi-weekly member meetings just about everything, including deals and prospects, etc. The meetings are open to all members at any level and conducted virtually via Zoom.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:42 pm

Honestly I could see this whole NIL thing (not specifically at UMass, but everywhere) creating so many issues with college sports. I know I'm in the minority but I can't even imagine what trying to run a program will be like for the programs that aren't elite. How is team chemistry affected with some kids getting $$ and others none? There's no way the mid major programs will be able to keep their elite players if the programs that have big backers will just offer more. Not a knock on the UMass Collective at all because that's the landscape, but I hope this whole thing doesn't ruin college sports. If we're going to pay kids, might as well pay em all
Time to Win

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:54 pm

Thanks for the answers. I appreciate all the work you're putting in and will likely join up after the new year. Go Umass.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:55 am

Floyd wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:42 pm Honestly I could see this whole NIL thing (not specifically at UMass, but everywhere) creating so many issues with college sports. I know I'm in the minority but I can't even imagine what trying to run a program will be like for the programs that aren't elite. How is team chemistry affected with some kids getting $$ and others none? There's no way the mid major programs will be able to keep their elite players if the programs that have big backers will just offer more. Not a knock on the UMass Collective at all because that's the landscape, but I hope this whole thing doesn't ruin college sports. If we're going to pay kids, might as well pay em all
I think the worries are overblown. Its new, and people don't like change, but it will all settle.

Our goal is having $250k a year to deploy. I think with that amount we can make a big impact.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:56 am

Juice Stand wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:54 pm Thanks for the answers. I appreciate all the work you're putting in and will likely join up after the new year. Go Umass.
Thanks for the questions! I am happy to answer them anytime and hope you join as well! Go UMass!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:39 pm

The potential pitfalls of NIL. Probably not the last story about this that we will see. Again, NIL is only a speculation in this account.
https://www.dawghoops.com/post/georgia- ... fer-portal

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:08 am

After looking at Pop Gapare's Facebook page, I'm wondering how much "need" plays a role in which athletes The Mass Collective signs on.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:36 am

69MG wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:39 pm The potential pitfalls of NIL. Probably not the last story about this that we will see. Again, NIL is only a speculation in this account.
https://www.dawghoops.com/post/georgia- ... fer-portal
Freshman just finished his first semester at school. There are other more mundane reasons for leaving, like being homesick, not doing well academically, etc. to speculate it is either $ or attitude, only, is weird, IMO.