The Massachusetts Collective - NIL initiative

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
umasscollective
Junior

Re: The Massachusetts Collective - NIL initiative

Post by umasscollective » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:14 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:36 am
69MG wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:39 pm The potential pitfalls of NIL. Probably not the last story about this that we will see. Again, NIL is only a speculation in this account.
https://www.dawghoops.com/post/georgia- ... fer-portal
Freshman just finished his first semester at school. There are other more mundane reasons for leaving, like being homesick, not doing well academically, etc. to speculate it is either $ or attitude, only, is weird, IMO.
Agree. And it wouldn’t make sense to leave now for an NIL deal.

As I’ve said, I think the role of NIL in transfers and recruiting is wildly overstated, mostly by folks who don’t understand it or don’t like change.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:15 am

Old Cage wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:08 am After looking at Pop Gapare's Facebook page, I'm wondering how much "need" plays a role in which athletes The Mass Collective signs on.
Not our department. Nor is academics.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:38 pm

We have our bi-weekly member meeting tonight at 8:30 PM via Zoom.

Members will have an invite in their email inbox.

New members that join before 8pm tonight will also have access.

Join today: www.TheMassCollective.com/join

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:39 am

Members, Non Members & #UMassBasketball Fans we want to hear from YOU 🗣🏀🧐

👉 Please complete our @TheMassCo Survey here: https://themassachusettscollective.form ... /tmcsurvey

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:28 pm

Moving this over from the 1/14 Rhody game thread...
dennisdent wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:37 am
Old Cage wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:35 am Unreal to me that you schedule a pre-game during the #UMassWBB game at the same time that you sign Sam. I'll stop at that.
Really, you've posted enough about it already right here. How about just sending them a DM, if it bothers you so much...The Collective is doing something very positive, with their own time and definitely funding and they get public hate on here and twitter.
I'm in the same camp as Old Cage, and to your point, I've also said it to the Collective team.

In my opinion, I don't understand how you can claim to support the WBB program and schedule an event that conflicts with one of their home games. It's a bad look and I'm not sure how you could argue it differently. Several others on Twitter have said something similar in the last couple days.

Support comes in many forms, but for a sports team, one of the most obvious is when you show up for games.

I'm never going to be the biggest financial donor, but I do put some money in the Collective hat each month, so I'll cast a small vote: I hope future Collective events don't have similar conflicts.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:07 pm

MikeUMA wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:28 pm Moving this over from the 1/14 Rhody game thread...
dennisdent wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:37 am
Old Cage wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:35 am Unreal to me that you schedule a pre-game during the #UMassWBB game at the same time that you sign Sam. I'll stop at that.
Really, you've posted enough about it already right here. How about just sending them a DM, if it bothers you so much...The Collective is doing something very positive, with their own time and definitely funding and they get public hate on here and twitter.
I'm in the same camp as Old Cage, and to your point, I've also said it to the Collective team.

In my opinion, I don't understand how you can claim to support the WBB program and schedule an event that conflicts with one of their home games. It's a bad look and I'm not sure how you could argue it differently. Several others on Twitter have said something similar in the last couple days.

Support comes in many forms, but for a sports team, one of the most obvious is when you show up for games.

I'm never going to be the biggest financial donor, but I do put some money in the Collective hat each month, so I'll cast a small vote: I hope future Collective events don't have similar conflicts.
Here is the vision from their website: "Patrick MacWilliams founded The Massachusetts Collective in October 2022. MacWilliams told On3 he hopes to have 250 members by Dec. 2, when the UMass men's basketball team is scheduled to play Harvard. The Massachusetts Collective will announce partnerships with two UMass men's basketball players shortly after it launches. The collective will have a 90% focus on UMass men's basketball, MacWilliams said. The goal of the collective isn't to sign every men's basketball player, but rather three to five per season. MacWilliams owns a moving and storage company that agreed to NIL deals with two UMass men's basketball players and one men's hockey player on July 1, 2021, which was the first day of the NCAA's NIL era."
https://www.on3.com/nil/collectives/the ... ctive-188/

No where in there is a claim to support WBB right now, but signing Sam is a start. They are doing a great thing with Sam and her dog to support the Dakin Animal Shelter!!! https://www.on3.com/nil/news/umass-bask ... e-society/

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:25 pm

I have an idea - why doesn't Oldcage ponie up some of his money and start an NIL initiative strictly for the women? In my opinion MacWilliams clearly stated this is 90% mens basketball focused - it's his money and he's donating his own time to try to raise money and he is free to support who he wants when he wants. If this was a University sponsored collective then it would be different - but it's not and in my opinion he can do it whenever and wherever he wants to. And lets be honest - do we really think that many people are going to go to this rather than the women's game? Pretty sure it won't hurt the attendance figures too much.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:27 pm

^ Obvious that you don't know OC, nor much of anything about him.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:50 pm

SignMan wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:27 pm ^ Obvious that you don't know OC, nor much of anything about him.
Neither does he on the Massachusetts Collective, as his post showed. Hopefully he learned something about the Collective and its vision.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:24 pm

Whether scheduling an event during a women’s game is a good or bad thing, is irrelevant in the larger scheme of things. Patrick MacWilliams is donating a ton of his time and money to try to benefit UMass basketball. Really deserving of significant praise for his contribution.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:59 am

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:25 pm I have an idea - why doesn't Oldcage ponie up some of his money
I have supported several UMass sports teams for over 60 years. I have done my part.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:22 am

Old Cage wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:59 am
MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:25 pm I have an idea - why doesn't Oldcage ponie up some of his money
I have supported several UMass sports teams for over 60 years. I have done my part.
as have I and many others on this board - but that is not the point - I was simply making a point that this particular Collective was formed to mostly support mens basketball.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:45 am

Old Cage wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:59 am
Just wondering: Where does this give you the right to criticize a volunteer organization, using its own time/money, without first learning about the organization's mission statement or asking them directly WHY they are holding an event. It doesn't. Hopefully something good came out of this discussion on the Collective.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:09 am

^ If it were "criticism," vs an opinion, are you suggesting we should throw out the Constitution, the Right to Free Speech, and the concept of Democracy?

OC...solid, long-time donor...
highly honorable, dedicated alum.

We seem to have here opinionated people who prefer to diss others with differing opinions rather than having a cogent discussion.

Enough re OC already.

Throw your barbs my way instead...
I will state here that Mr & Mrs SM have not joined the NIL group.

It does not mean we do not respect and support the effort.

We have supported the athletic program over the years...many sports, but, as a UMass Basketball Letterman, the bulk of it goes to Men's Basketball.
I am not going to get into the specifics of what we support within the program, nor at what level, nor what I have considering doing next.

If it bothers you (anyone) that it may not be the NIL, throw your best my way, if you have the basketBALLS; then, stop your unwarranted criticisms at all others, and say what you want re supporting what you specifically support, sans the errant out-of-bounds bad passes.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:18 am

SignMan wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:09 am ^ If it were "criticism," vs an opinion, are you suggesting we should throw out the Constitution, the Right to Free Speech, and the concept of Democracy?

OC...solid, long-time donor...
highly honorable, dedicated alum.

We seem to have here opinionated people who prefer to diss others with differing opinions rather than having a cogent discussion.

Enough re OC already.

Throw your barbs my way instead...
I will state here that Mr & Mrs SM have not joined the NIL group.

It does not mean we do not respect and support the effort.

We have supported the athletic program over the years...many sports, but, as a UMass Basketball Letterman, the bulk of it goes to Men's Basketball.
I am not going to get into the specifics of what we support within the program, nor at what level, nor what I have considering doing next.

If it bothers you (anyone) that it may not be the NIL, throw your best my way, if you have the basketBALLS; then, stop your unwarranted criticisms at all others, and say what you want re supporting what you specifically support, sans the errant out-of-bounds bad passes.
Even the most dedicated alum can be WRONG, and he was wrong. His comment was "unwarranted" but allowed by the constitution, but mine isn't... :lol: :lol: :lol: Just go make a sign! :wink: :wink: :wink: