The Massachusetts Collective - NIL initiative

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

The Massachusetts Collective - NIL initiative

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:19 pm

Kinda surprised there isn't a thread about this:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/UMassCollective
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: The Massachusetts Collective - NIL initiative

Post by 69MG » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:16 pm

Many of you probably know about this already. I've joined and I encourage you to join as well. You don't have to contribute a ton, but every contribution helps.

Junior

Post by 5150 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:53 pm

Joined as well.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:06 pm

Joined tonight. Plan on bumping up my monthly contribution once I have my life figured out a bit :lol: :lol:

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:23 pm

I'm all for the idea, but worry that it will steer $$$ away from the Department for scholarships, especially for the non-revenue sports. Each of us has only so much to spread around.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:04 pm

I think what they're doing is a great idea. Signed up tonight.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:14 pm

Old Cage wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:23 pm I'm all for the idea, but worry that it will steer $$$ away from the Department for scholarships, especially for the non-revenue sports. Each of us has only so much to spread around.
Scholarship money isn’t really coming from donations

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:17 pm

^ Are you saying that we have a totally separate accounting for scholarships? That would be several million per year. Where is it coming from?
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:34 am

Old Cage wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:23 pm I'm all for the idea, but worry that it will steer $$$ away from the Department for scholarships, especially for the non-revenue sports. Each of us has only so much to spread around.
This is where I'm at. I understand the concept and I think it's important in today's college basketball landscape, but I'm in a wait and see approach. Between season tickets, court club, the various fundraising asks through the year, and now this, I have to be sure that my money is being spent in the best ways. Attracting talent with NIL is great, but if the department doesn't have the financial support to hire a good coach, we're back to where we were under Kellogg. Their pitch is that no matter who the coach is, talent is what wins, but I lean more towards getting good coaching first, and that's achieved through department funds.

It sounds like they're off to a very good start, and I'll be interested to see how that money is spent in the offseason, and once it's spent, how it affects the team. If there are large gaps in pay days for the players, I could see locker room and team chemistry issues. The guys running this collective need to be very careful and thoughtful about this.

That's just my two cents on the whole thing. I'm not anti-collective by any means, I just need to see it in action first.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:28 pm

Someone from The Collective may be responding here soon to address any questions.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:50 pm

To those who have joined - thank you! To those who have questions - happy to answer them!

About - The Massachusetts Collective exists solely to benefit UMass Basketball Student Athletes. The Massachusetts Collective has several subscription (or one time) levels for fans, donors and businesses. At least 90% of all contributions will be paid directly to student athletes (less the actual costs of tangible membership benefits and operating overhead). Massachusetts Collective directors will never receive compensation or profit from the collective. We are committed to efficient fiscal operations while deploying our resources in an agile, aggressive and targeted manner while remaining in strict compliance with all NIL regulations.

The Massachusetts Collective currently has 132 members. Members are defined as those either on a monthly subscription (as low as $5/month) or those who have made a one time contribution (good for a year of being a member). The most common member has joined at the $25/month level, which comes with some benefits listed on our website www.UMassCollective.com. Our goal is to have 250 dues paying members by 12/2/2022, and grow from there.

Visiting our site is the best way to get more basic information, especially on our FAQ's page, but feel free to reach out anytime via email to [email protected]. We sent out a member survey last week, and will be answering member questions publicly on Monday once all gathered. I will share the questions and answers here once completed.

I will also answer questions posed in this thread below, and monitor it continuously...
Scholarships are funded by the school, not donors to UMass, UMass Athletics or Collective Members.
Juice Stand wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:34 am
This is where I'm at. I understand the concept and I think it's important in today's college basketball landscape, but I'm in a wait and see approach. Between season tickets, court club, the various fundraising asks through the year, and now this, I have to be sure that my money is being spent in the best ways. Attracting talent with NIL is great, but if the department doesn't have the financial support to hire a good coach, we're back to where we were under Kellogg. Their pitch is that no matter who the coach is, talent is what wins, but I lean more towards getting good coaching first, and that's achieved through department funds.

It sounds like they're off to a very good start, and I'll be interested to see how that money is spent in the offseason, and once it's spent, how it affects the team. If there are large gaps in pay days for the players, I could see locker room and team chemistry issues. The guys running this collective need to be very careful and thoughtful about this.

That's just my two cents on the whole thing. I'm not anti-collective by any means, I just need to see it in action first.
To clarify our pitch, which has been echoed by numerous athletic directors and coaches across the country, you need it ALL; facilities, coaching, administrative support AND a strong NIL program (to recruit and retain). If we take a wait and see approach now, we will lose recruiting battles AND current players to programs with stronger NIL resources. We will lose coaches to schools that have stronger NIL resources.

I look forward to discussing this further with folks in the days and weeks to come. Please reach out anytime. And I strongly encourage you to join and help secure the future success of UMass Basketball.

- Patrick MacWilliams
Director, The Massachusetts Collective

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:15 am

Thank you for the feedback!

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:26 am

"Scholarships are funded by the school, not donors to UMass"

Pat - That makes no sense. If I give my dollars to the school, some of my dollars will make their way into the scholarship kitty, unless you are stating that somehow the school keeps two sets of books, one of which picks the scholarship money off of trees.

I'm on your side, but I'm just wanting to make sure that everyone - including me - understands all aspects of where their funds go.

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:54 am

If this is basketball focused, which I think it is, I can't imagine the school is relying on any private donations, i.e. court club members to fund basketball scholarships. Perhaps athletic admin can confirm. There has to be a separate book for court club donations.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:07 am

Old Cage wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:26 am "Scholarships are funded by the school, not donors to UMass"

Pat - That makes no sense. If I give my dollars to the school, some of my dollars will make their way into the scholarship kitty, unless you are stating that somehow the school keeps two sets of books, one of which picks the scholarship money off of trees.

I'm on your side, but I'm just wanting to make sure that everyone - including me - understands all aspects of where their funds go.
Id recommend reaching out to the school for clarity. However I am confident that court club funds and other athletics donations do not fund athletic scholarships.