The Massachusetts Collective - NIL initiative

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
umasscollective
Junior

Re: The Massachusetts Collective - NIL initiative

Post by umasscollective » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:34 am

Following Saturdays public endorsement of The Massachusetts Collective from AD Ryan Bamford, we have scheduled a series of educational member recruiting events (both online and in person). We expect some more info and a press release from the athletic department this week as well, but here is our press release and schedule of events:

Press Release > https://irp.cdn-website.com/ea9bf522/fi ... elease.pdf

Schedule of Events > https://www.themasscollective.com/member-recruitment

AND here is our public newsletter link > https://mailchi.mp/b8bd9b68d590/beat-ha ... nfo-268183

** Please note: this is our public newsletter. @TheMassCo Members get access to additional exclusive member content, including a 20 minute video we’re dropping Thursday filmed in 🇳🇿 featuring Tafara 🏀**

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us at [email protected]. Hope everyone interested will participate in one of the events!

Go UMass!

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:12 pm

Today from the Athletic Department: Massachusetts Athletics Supports Two NIL Collectives: https://umassathletics.com/news/2023/1/ ... ollectives

Joint statement from Mass Co & Ryan Bamford featured on NIL Newsstand: https://www.nilnewsstand.com/updates/um ... collective

Excited to have the support of the department and hope everyone will join! www.TheMassCollective.com

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:21 pm

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:34 am

Shoutout to The Collective for hosting the pre-game event at The Spoke. I got to chat with Quinn (Reindeer), Nelson Gapare and Tom McLaughlin. How much better can it get???

If you haven't joined yet, I urge you to do so and also to attend an event. Good people doing important things for the basketball programs (men's and women's).

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:19 pm

69MG wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:34 am Shoutout to The Collective for hosting the pre-game event at The Spoke. I got to chat with Quinn (Reindeer), Nelson Gapare and Tom McLaughlin. How much better can it get???

If you haven't joined yet, I urge you to do so and also to attend an event. Good people doing important things for the basketball programs (men's and women's).
Thanks for joining us! Finalizing a postgame event for next Saturday, stay tuned for details. Hope to have some coaches and players there as well.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:09 pm

^ Just saw the message you put out indicating that signing RJ to a multi-year deal is a priority for The Collective. I doubt anyone would disagree with this being at the top of the list.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:51 pm

Join @TheMassCo and Noah Fernandes on Twitter Spaces TONIGHT at 8pm for a mid season chat. Open to members and non members.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:02 pm

I'll admit - prior to the most recent tweet from Mass Collective I honestly had no idea how we would keep these kids around - in the FAQ's section of the web site it says it's $1000 per kid who is signed plus $500 for each appearance, autograph sessions, meet and greet etc - I'm thinking they could make this much working on their own - no way it stops from leaving if they want to. Then I read the tweet today that says they are working on $50,000 agreements with Noah and RJ - it's not 1.2 mil like some of these top rated football players are getting - and I know those are few and far between - but $50K yearly plus appearance fee's certainly is nothing to sneeze at and would certainly keep Noah here next year rather than bolting for Europe

Great job Mass Collective - appreciate all you do!! keep up the great work

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:08 pm

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:02 pm I'll admit - prior to the most recent tweet from Mass Collective I honestly had no idea how we would keep these kids around - in the FAQ's section of the web site it says it's $1000 per kid who is signed plus $500 for each appearance, autograph sessions, meet and greet etc - I'm thinking they could make this much working on their own - no way it stops from leaving if they want to. Then I read the tweet today that says they are working on $50,000 agreements with Noah and RJ - it's not 1.2 mil like some of these top rated football players are getting - and I know those are few and far between - but $50K yearly plus appearance fee's certainly is nothing to sneeze at and would certainly keep Noah here next year rather than bolting for Europe

Sorry for any confusion. The FAQs page is just an example of a made up NIL deal, it doesn’t have anything to do with any of our deals, which are all unique.

Competitive, market rate deals for current players we are targeting opportunities for will be in the 50k a year range for high level priorities. And 10-20k for lower level priorities.

Our goal is to fund around 150-250k in opportunities for next season. To do so, we need more members, both individual and business members. Each $ counts.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:48 pm

umasscollective wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:08 pm
MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:02 pm I'll admit - prior to the most recent tweet from Mass Collective I honestly had no idea how we would keep these kids around - in the FAQ's section of the web site it says it's $1000 per kid who is signed plus $500 for each appearance, autograph sessions, meet and greet etc - I'm thinking they could make this much working on their own - no way it stops from leaving if they want to. Then I read the tweet today that says they are working on $50,000 agreements with Noah and RJ - it's not 1.2 mil like some of these top rated football players are getting - and I know those are few and far between - but $50K yearly plus appearance fee's certainly is nothing to sneeze at and would certainly keep Noah here next year rather than bolting for Europe

Sorry for any confusion. The FAQs page is just an example of a made up NIL deal, it doesn’t have anything to do with any of our deals, which are all unique.

Competitive, market rate deals for current players we are targeting opportunities for will be in the 50k a year range for high level priorities. And 10-20k for lower level priorities.

Our goal is to fund around 150-250k in opportunities for next season. To do so, we need more members, both individual and business members. Each $ counts.
Is this rate competitive with other high mid major schools? $50K sure does seem pretty good - I'm just curious if you have any data on what other schools are offering? I assume the Duke's, Kentucky's and Kansas's pay more? again have no idea - I'm sure you have done all kinds of research so I'm just asking cause I have no clue - this is all new to all of us.

Keep up the great work - I'm sure I can speak for a lot of us here - we appreciate it.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:41 pm

If you haven't seen this yet, comments from Jim Boeheim on the portal and NIL:
Boeheim said the continuity of the roster is appealing, but the idea of a total rebuild through the NCAA transfer portal isn't. He referenced multiple ACC schools that either brought in or retained high-profile players with large name, image and likeness deals. Those deals have become legal in college sports in recent years as NCAA rules have evolved.

"This is an awful place we're in in college basketball," he said. "Pittsburgh bought a team. OK, fine. My [big donor] talks about it, but he doesn't give anyone any money. Nothing. Not one guy. Our guys make like $20,000. Wake Forest bought a team. Miami bought a team. ... It's like, 'Really, this is where we are?' That's really where we are, and it's only going to get worse."

He added: "It's crazy. That's why those guys got out -- that's why Jay [Wright] got out, Mike [Krzyzewski] got out. That's the reason they got out. The transfer portal and everything is nuts. It really is."
Just to clarify, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with what he said but I thought it was interesting to hear this from a P5 coach.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:34 am

Boo fricken hoo. Sounds like he's unable to keep up with the evolution of college sports. Time to step aside and let someone else take over.
2022 Syracuse $2,794,449

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:32 pm

I don't think that it's that he can't keep up with the evolution of college sports. More that, he doesn't appear to like or agree with the NIL direction. and I can't say that I blame him. When you can buy talent the field becomes unlevel across college institutions. If you're ok with only having P5 schools at the top then this is music to your ears.

If you appreciate the overall competitive nature of "amateur" sports, then you are probably not liking this too much. it really comes down to, are you ready to admit that you are watching professional players at the college level or, are you trying to hold on to a perceived competition of amateur athletes on equal footing.

I'm not a fan of this NIL collective. I get it and understand it's need. But it very much feels dirty to me, like we are lying to ourselves about what we are really doing here to college sports. I know that you can't stop change, but at some point someone should pump the brakes here and ask what are we really doing and what are the potential unintended outcomes...
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:00 pm

UMass'96 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:32 pm I don't think that it's that he can't keep up with the evolution of college sports. More that, he doesn't appear to like or agree with the NIL direction. and I can't say that I blame him. When you can buy talent the field becomes unlevel across college institutions. If you're ok with only having P5 schools at the top then this is music to your ears.

If you appreciate the overall competitive nature of "amateur" sports, then you are probably not liking this too much. it really comes down to, are you ready to admit that you are watching professional players at the college level or, are you trying to hold on to a perceived competition of amateur athletes on equal footing.

I'm not a fan of this NIL collective. I get it and understand it's need. But it very much feels dirty to me, like we are lying to ourselves about what we are really doing here to college sports. I know that you can't stop change, but at some point someone should pump the brakes here and ask what are we really doing and what are the potential unintended outcomes...
The things you are decrying have been going on under the table for years. NIL is not that different from legalizing marijuana.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:20 pm

I actually did some research and these deals we are giving to Noah, RJ and I assume the same to Gapare are extremely competitive - unless they plain just don't want to play for UMass it doesn't seem like they'll get more from anyone else.

I don't have a problem with the whole NIL thing but they need to do something about the Transfer Portal - thats what's ruining college sports, not NIL. I'm not saying hold a kid against their will but if they have a valid reason, sit a year then transfer - if they want to appeal having to sit, fine, but it's just way too easy now for these kids to transfer just because they aren't getting enough playing time as they think they should be getting.