The Massachusetts Collective - NIL initiative

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Re: The Massachusetts Collective - NIL initiative

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:25 am

From the front page of their website
NIL (Name, Image, Likeness) Collective Supporting University of Massachusetts Basketball Athletes (MBB & WBB).
From their "about" section
The Massachusetts Collective Supports both the Mens and Womens Basketball Programs.
From their FAQ section
What sport does The Massachusetts Collective Support?
Mens and Womens Basketball at the University of Massachuetts. As the NIL landscape evolves over time, The Massachusetts Collective will evaluate opportunities to incorporate additional athletic programs.
I just don't understand how you can say you support both programs and schedule an event during a women's home game against a top division foe. If it was a scheduling snafu, say as much and move on. There's some mud slinging and infighting from both sides and it sucks. We're all on the same damn team folks. I'll be at the women's game, supporting them the best way I know how.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:33 am

Juice Stand wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:25 am From the front page of their website
NIL (Name, Image, Likeness) Collective Supporting University of Massachusetts Basketball Athletes (MBB & WBB).
From their "about" section
The Massachusetts Collective Supports both the Mens and Womens Basketball Programs.
From their FAQ section
What sport does The Massachusetts Collective Support?
Mens and Womens Basketball at the University of Massachuetts. As the NIL landscape evolves over time, The Massachusetts Collective will evaluate opportunities to incorporate additional athletic programs.
I just don't understand how you can say you support both programs and schedule an event during a women's home game against a top division foe. If it was a scheduling snafu, say as much and move on. There's some mud slinging and infighting from both sides and it sucks. We're all on the same damn team folks. I'll be at the women's game, supporting them the best way I know how.
This topic wasn't started by the Collective so why don't you contact them directly and ask these questions? Pat has already stated that it is 90% focused on the men's program right now.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:19 am

Then say it on your, I don't know, website? I applaud the leaders of the collective for what they do, as many have said, it's a volunteer effort. But plain and simple, the event today is the opposite of supporting the women.

I've said my piece. I'm moving on. See you all at the doubleheader today. Go Umass.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:21 am

DD - All I did was state an opinion! You have no right or ability to say whether I am wrong! I am not anti-Collective. You are trying to make a mountain out of molehill. Juice - See you at the doubleheader!
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:34 am

Old Cage wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:21 am DD - All I did was state an opinion! You have no right or ability to say whether I am wrong! I am not anti-Collective. You are trying to make a mountain out of molehill.
You started it by your first post criticizing the meet-up's time by "making a mountain out of molehill!" :lol: I do apologize for coming back so strong towards you on my last post.

Go UMass!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:00 pm

Sorry to say that this thread should be about getting us all together and it has turned into one of the most asinine discussions on UMassHoops. For the record I am a member of The Court Club and The Collective. My 2 cents is that this event could have (not should have) been scheduled from noon-2:00 and the world of UMassHoops would be a happier place.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:34 pm

I think everyone should do a shot of tequila between games and "just get along"

That being said, I think OC's opinion was more about the women's support than criticizing the Collective. Pretty smart, reasonable guy who, from the little I know, is pretty supportive of all things UMass
Time to Win

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:04 pm

69MG wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:00 pm Sorry to say that this thread should be about getting us all together and it has turned into one of the most asinine discussions on UMassHoops. For the record I am a member of The Court Club and The Collective. My 2 cents is that this event could have (not should have) been scheduled from noon-2:00 and the world of UMassHoops would be a happier place.
+1

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:16 pm

Floyd wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:34 pm I think everyone should do a shot of tequila between games and "just get along"

That being said, I think OC's opinion was more about the women's support than criticizing the Collective. Pretty smart, reasonable guy who, from the little I know, is pretty supportive of all things UMass
Excellent idea re the tequila, add t frozen strawberry margarita.

Did that last nite watching the sunset between Montserrat and Redonda, and the nite before, with the Green Flash an added bonus.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:19 pm

We have some Educational Member Recruiting events coming up. You can view the schedule of the events here: https://www.themasscollective.com/member-recruitment

If you have questions about the Collective or NIL, please participate in one of these events! Events are held both online and in person so we can try and reach everyone.

Go UMass!
Last edited by umasscollective on Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:21 pm

We have some Educational Member Recruiting events coming up. You can view the schedule of the events here: https://www.themasscollective.com/member-recruitment

If you have questions about the Collective or NIL, please participate in one of these events! Events are held both online and in person so we can try and reach everyone.

Go UMass!

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:35 pm

umasscollective wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:19 pm Great pregame event yesterday. Was well attended and Carmelo and friends also joined us. Thanks to Kevin, Julia, Bob and Five College Movers for donating a ton of food for the event.

I don’t really want to speak on the scheduling conflict subject much, but I was crushed that a few folks were super negative publicly about the event. I reached out directly to one individual who was hammering us all day on twitter and my calls and texts were ignored. Absolutely incredible he wouldn’t even take my call.

I also had 46 tickets to this game. 16 Court side and 30 regular tickets. Don’t think anyone can say they came close to hosting 46 guests at the game.

I’m working 40+ hours a week on this. I love doing it, and I’m sure it won’t be the last thing that people get upset about, can’t please everyone. But I can tell you that no one will work as hard for this program to give an edge to our team and players through NIL and also a great experience to our members.

Go UMass!
You are aware that people you Dm won’t see it if they don’t follow you and it will just be in there requests also message bombing people who don’t agree with you is maybe not the best strategy

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:37 pm

umasscollective wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:19 pm Great pregame event yesterday. Was well attended and Carmelo and friends also joined us. Thanks to Kevin, Julia, Bob and Five College Movers for donating a ton of food for the event.

I don’t really want to speak on the scheduling conflict subject much, but I was crushed that a few folks were super negative publicly about the event. I reached out directly to one individual who was hammering us all day on twitter and my calls and texts were ignored. Absolutely incredible he wouldn’t even take my call.

I also had 46 tickets to this game. 16 Court side and 30 regular tickets. Don’t think anyone can say they came close to hosting 46 guests at the game.

I’m working 40+ hours a week on this. I love doing it, and I’m sure it won’t be the last thing that people get upset about, can’t please everyone. But I can tell you that no one will work as hard for this program to give an edge to our team and players through NIL and also a great experience to our members.

Go UMass!
Bragging about how many guests you have is such a weird thing to do. I’ll wait for another collective led by someone who doesn’t feel the need to measure there dick to prove they are the better fan have fun playing booster

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:59 pm

1. Own the mistake.

2. Folks need to be reasonable and acknowledge that the collective is brand new and mistakes will be made. Live and learn.

3. Apologize and say that going forward this will not happen. Compromising and community is the foundation to a collective.
Last edited by inthescoop on Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:00 pm

UMassfan_19 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:37 pm

Go UMass!
Bragging about how many guests you have is such a weird thing to do. I’ll wait for another collective led by someone who doesn’t feel the need to measure there dick to prove they are the better fan have fun playing booster
Why wait for someone else to start one, just do it yourself? UMass athletics can use as much as support as it can get!