The Massachusetts Collective - NIL initiative

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
umasscollective
Junior

Re: The Massachusetts Collective - NIL initiative

Post by umasscollective » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:46 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:19 am There's a much larger systemic issue here at UMass as well that we've discussed before: The school's inability to connect with its alumni, and internally between departments/levels of administration.

UMass is a very large school, with a very large alumni base. There should be zero reason for UMass to be this far behind in this arms race. It's a sad state of affairs.

The ones that have stepped up (Mr. Kennedy, the Hunts, Pat/FCM, etc...) are fantastic, but they aren't the norm here and that's really unfortunate.
In the NIL game I think we’re actually ahead of many peer schools and I’d say we’re top 50 in the country $ wise and even stronger infrastructure wise. But there is a ton of room to grow. I am thrilled that we have added 8 members this week alone. But we need to be around 500 members next year at this time, with more businesses getting involved as well.

I think we all identify and have witnessed/experienced the poor outreach and connection of the alumni association. I’ve always believed UMass is a sleeping giant in many ways, and this NIL Collective allows us to change the narrative and build something we can all be proud of, without institutional oversight and bureaucracy. While we will work with the school, we make the final decisions on how we operate, and there are no excuses or anyone to blame for poor performance but ourselves.

There is no reason we can’t get to the 500 active member number by next year, and at that level we can really make an impact and have some fun together as well.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:34 pm

Coach Frank Martin will be joining The Mass Co on Tuesday April 4th at 8pm for a Member Only Zoom.

Not a member? Join here for access to the meeting: www.TheMassCollective.com/join

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:54 am

NilesGold wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:52 am There are "natural guardrails" in place now too. I do think there should probably be a healthy debate about whether additional guardrails should be put in place, to foster something that enforces at least a little bit of parity.
What are these natural guard rails of which you speak?

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:01 am

eldonabe wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:54 am
NilesGold wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:52 am There are "natural guardrails" in place now too. I do think there should probably be a healthy debate about whether additional guardrails should be put in place, to foster something that enforces at least a little bit of parity.
The same guardrails that exist preventing athletic departments from having unlimited funds. People not wanting to spend millions of $ of their own money on college basketball.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:45 am

I'm willing to spend millions of my own money on college basketball.

The problem is I don't quite have it at the moment.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:23 am

The Massachusetts Collective is thrilled to announce the signing of Massachusetts Native MATT CROSS to an NIL Agreement. Official press release to follow. Introductory Twitter Spaces with Matt scheduled for 4/6/2023 @ 8pm.

www.TheMassCollective.com/join

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:36 am

NilesGold wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:01 am
The same guardrails that exist preventing athletic departments from having unlimited funds. People not wanting to spend millions of $ of their own money on college basketball.
Oh Niles..... Niles, Niles, Niles...... :? :? :?

The guy from Miami is not the exception. He is just ahead of the curve. The Hubris of guys like him is unfathomable. Mark my words, if Miami wins the NC in 5 days, he will have just laid out the blueprint for most future NCs. Watch the top 10 HS recruits wish lists... Miami will be all over it.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:44 am

umasscollective wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:23 am The Massachusetts Collective is thrilled to announce the signing of Massachusetts Native MATT CROSS to an NIL Agreement. Official press release to follow. Introductory Twitter Spaces with Matt scheduled for 4/6/2023 @ 8pm.

Great move.

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:49 am

69MG wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:44 am
umasscollective wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:23 am The Massachusetts Collective is thrilled to announce the signing of Massachusetts Native MATT CROSS to an NIL Agreement. Official press release to follow. Introductory Twitter Spaces with Matt scheduled for 4/6/2023 @ 8pm.

Great move.
Agree. You could see the passing of the baton as the heart and soul of the team from Noah to Matt this past year. Big jump coming under this staff in year 2.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:21 pm

eldonabe wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:36 am

The guy from Miami is not the exception. He is just ahead of the curve. The Hubris of guys like him is unfathomable. Mark my words, if Miami wins the NC in 5 days, he will have just laid out the blueprint for most future NCs. Watch the top 10 HS recruits wish lists... Miami will be all over it.
Are you glossing over the part where I said "there should probably be a healthy debate about whether additional guardrails should be put in place, to foster something that enforces at least a little bit of parity"?

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:15 pm

NilesGold wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:21 pm
eldonabe wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:36 am

Are you glossing over the part where I said "there should probably be a healthy debate about whether additional guardrails should be put in place, to foster something that enforces at least a little bit of parity"?
No I did not. but you are claiming that natural guardrails do exist (limited by what the boosters will spend), but there is not stated limit or any other limit really. If that guy from Miami wanted to give one 10 Star player his entire estate as an endorsement - he could if he wanted to. That is my point. I do get what you are saying and these people do not have a bottomless pocketbook , but it is naive to think that this kind ridiculous spending for just a few schools (er boosters) will not affect everyone else negatively who simply cannot keep up.

Again, I think NIL in concept is great for these players. Schools make 100's of million off of their efforts every year and they deserve some of the spoils for what they generate to some degree. But as of now the "regulations" that exist are an absolute joke and are not even a speed bump. I do not have the answer, but if an answer is not created, this is going to get way out of hand real fast. Like I said, this guy from Miami is setting the bar and he is not going to pull back to the herd, the herd is going to have to catch up to him. There are probably 20-30 schools that may attempt to go there and they will inhale all the great players leaving scraps for the other 300 schools to fight over. There was a lot more disparity even 2 years ago. The real studs were spread out over 80 or even 100 schools which diluted the ability for a small number of schools to hog them all. The real good players wanted to be "the man" on their respective teams - that shit isn't going to matter if there is a dollar to be made - one teams Stud will be happy to be #2 or #3 or even #4 on a team if he is getting P A I D.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:46 pm

eldonabe wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:15 pm No I did not. but you are claiming that natural guardrails do exist (limited by what the boosters will spend), but there is not stated limit or any other limit really. If that guy from Miami wanted to give one 10 Star player his entire estate as an endorsement - he could if he wanted to. That is my point. I do get what you are saying and these people do not have a bottomless pocketbook , but it is naive to think that this kind ridiculous spending for just a few schools (er boosters) will not affect everyone else negatively who simply cannot keep up.
There's no limit to what boosters can donate to an athletic department or school. Even before this players were getting bags of cash from boosters with coaches either looking the other way, or even taking an active role.

I agree with your concern that things could escalate, and escalate quickly. Hard to say just how quickly and how big it will get, which is why I do think there should be real discussions about implementing additional guardrails.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:56 pm

This NIL stuff doesn't concern me as much as the NIL stuff when combined with the transfer portal. That's what has me concerned. Makes it easier for the well-funded power schools to use smaller schools as farm systems. Hard when you recruit a kid, help develop him, and then he's off to greener pastures.

I do believe that if money is being made, the labor should reap the rewards. And I do believe that kids should be allowed freedom to move (with a few restrictions in place.) But even while I say that, I can also say that is harder for me to feel a connection to a team and a sport when there is so much change/turnover.

Even while I say that part deaux: I am a member of the Collective and appreciate their proactive approach. We aren't going to win them all, but we at least need to be in the game.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:22 am

Don’t let the Miami NIL number$ drive the narrative or serve as an example, it’s just not realistic or sustainable. Can compete for far less and build a sustainable NIL program.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaab/the ... e-business

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:20 pm

Unless controls are put in place - similar to a salary cap for NIL - there will be a limited number of "college" programs that will ever be competitive in D1 Athletics. Interest will fall off accordingly.