Court Club reception & practice

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
RagingCager
Freshman

Court Club reception & practice

Post by RagingCager » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:58 pm

I must say, I was blown away by what I saw and heard during the Court Club practice Thursday….Coach Martin’s attention to detail, sense of urgency, and ability to “see” the game at a level reserved only for a select few was impressive and encouraging, to say the least.As I sat there with my wife, starring up at the banners from the 90s, I couldn’t help but think and feel that Frank’s approach and abilities are very similar to the guy I watched and listened to at every game during that special time. If the impression I came away with is sustained or even surpassed during this upcoming season, we are in for a special treat not seen around here for awhile. Coach Martin expressed his vision and conviction to build a hard working, defensive orientated, up tempo team… he also mentioned how surprised he was when he first saw how thin and physically unimposing some of the guys were when he first came on board…. he hired a strength and conditioning coach and began a new approach in that area. It’s a rare coaching characteristic to not only see and have a feel for the game at a high level, but to also communicate in a clear, authoritative and charismatic way, inviting respect and a sense of urgency not seen around here since those banners were stitched together in the 90s.Of course, we have yet to play a game, and my thoughts at this point are not only based on observation, but wishful thinking as well…. the talent and depth on this team is certainly there, with a very highly regarded player from New Zealand coming on board soon as well.

We also had the pleasure of speaking with Coach Martin and several of his staff members after practice….there is every reason to be excited and optimistic in anticipation of this new era in UMass Men’s Basketball…. this long time fan thinks they hit it out of the park in bringing in Frank Martin and his wife, a UMass graduate and star athlete, as well as a great group of assistants with a wealth of knowledge and experience…. when I mentioned that attendance at the Mullins Center has also been a little thin, he said they know they’ll have to earn it. Hold on to your hats folks …. this could be an exciting ride!🏀

diplomat
Junior

Re: Court Club reception & practice

Post by diplomat » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:48 pm

Cool write up. Thank you

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:02 am

I think a lot of people, myself included, feel the same way and are super excited to start the season. Nice post Cager
Time to Win

Not Trigger
Junior

Post by Not Trigger » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:39 am

LFG

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:37 pm

I think one of the best moments Thursday was when someone asked Frank what was his best thing about being in Amherst was the fact that people here are happy that he came. ( I can’t remember exact response was) but basically he appreciated being’wanted’ here. I thought heartfelt and appreciate his honesty and sincerity.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:51 am

Not Trigger wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:39 amLFG
Let Frank Go?

Geez he hasn't even coached his first game yet? :lol:

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:41 am

Very informative, thank you!

That’s the second time I’ve seen a comment about how thin the guys are. There obviously aren’t many returnees and it’s clear he’s talking about Weeks and DD in particular. It was clear to see these guys were a little on the thin side on the court as well. Must not have been emphasized by McCall and his staff.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:07 am

^ Frank did say that everyone has bought into the "bulk up" program and is hitting the weight room. The funniest comment he made was about nutrition. He said guys get up at 6, work out, go to class and then have practice at 3:00. He asked them what they had for lunch and many would say "I just grabbed a bag of skittles".

He said young people just don't eat enough. The strength and cond. coach now has them on a better eating regimen as well. DD has gone from 180 to 204. It doesn't show on a 6'9 frame but he's stronger. Without Woodley, only Leveque and Kante are what you would call beefy (not fat, just solid). Cross is also pretty solid, and Keon & Diggins are OK for their height. The other guys still look pretty thin.