Mullins Madness 2022 event

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Upstate10
Senior

Re: Mullins Madness 2022 event

Post by Upstate10 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:27 pm

69MG wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:29 pm
Upstate10 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:10 pm
Rothstein tweeted that his visa issues were solved. Probably just waiting on him to catch a flight over, at this point.
Are you sure about that? There has been no other confirmation of this and Rothstein did tweet that the NCAA had cleared him. 2 separate issues.
I could not be less sure

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:37 pm

I'm going to a Court Club event next Thursday. Frank will be there and I will ask the question if nobody else does.

RagingCager
Freshman

Post by RagingCager » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:09 pm

I thought it was a nice way to introduce and usher in the new Frank Martin era, and sharing the stage with the highly regarded women’s team was a nice touch…. the crowd wasn’t bad for the 1st Mullin’s Madness- hopefully it will continue to grow from here.I like the idea of a re emergence of “The Cage”, and more importantly, The Rage in the Cage! I remember those days well, waiting outside for 2 hours to stand in the 1st row, a couple of feet behind the UMass bench and Coach Cal for every home game during that special time…Harper Williams would howl as he ripped down a vicious rebound; poker faced Anton Brown would quickly accept the outlet pass and proceed to race up the court ending with an effortless flick of the wrists to launch one of the many, many alley oop passes to a soaring high flying 6’3” highlight reel named Wil Herndon; the opposing coach would call a time out while 4500 rabid sardines would loosen and launch paint chips from the ceiling of the ancient building with a deafening blood curdling roar, while the classic UMass band would blast their signature song The Rage in the Cage….I loved what Coach Martin promised all of us in attendance… they would always leave everything out on the floor and we would never feel cheated when we walk out of the Mullins Center

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:28 pm

RagingCager wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:09 pm I thought it was a nice way to introduce and usher in the new Frank Martin era, and sharing the stage with the highly regarded women’s team was a nice touch…. the crowd wasn’t bad for the 1st Mullin’s Madness- hopefully it will continue to grow from here.I like the idea of a re emergence of “The Cage”, and more importantly, The Rage in the Cage! I remember those days well, waiting outside for 2 hours to stand in the 1st row, a couple of feet behind the UMass bench and Coach Cal for every home game during that special time…Harper Williams would howl as he ripped down a vicious rebound; poker faced Anton Brown would quickly accept the outlet pass and proceed to race up the court ending with an effortless flick of the wrists to launch one of the many, many alley oop passes to a soaring high flying 6’3” highlight reel named Wil Herndon; the opposing coach would call a time out while 4500 rabid sardines would loosen and launch paint chips from the ceiling of the ancient building with a deafening blood curdling roar, while the classic UMass band would blast their signature song The Rage in the Cage….I loved what Coach Martin promised all of us in attendance… they would always leave everything out on the floor and we would never feel cheated when we walk out of the Mullins Center
Wow! When is the book coming out?

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:19 pm

69MG wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:37 pm I'm going to a Court Club event next Thursday. Frank will be there and I will ask the question if nobody else does.
Appreciate it, my man! Regardless I am absolutely amped for November 7th. Hopefully Tafara gets here soon so he and the rest of the squad can be hitting full stride by the second semester. This roster is loaded with grown men. There is a wide variance in what can happen this season but our ceiling is a very special season.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:58 am

RagingCager wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:09 pm I thought it was a nice way to introduce and usher in the new Frank Martin era, and sharing the stage with the highly regarded women’s team was a nice touch…. the crowd wasn’t bad for the 1st Mullin’s Madness- hopefully it will continue to grow from here.I like the idea of a re emergence of “The Cage”, and more importantly, The Rage in the Cage! I remember those days well, waiting outside for 2 hours to stand in the 1st row, a couple of feet behind the UMass bench and Coach Cal for every home game during that special time…Harper Williams would howl as he ripped down a vicious rebound; poker faced Anton Brown would quickly accept the outlet pass and proceed to race up the court ending with an effortless flick of the wrists to launch one of the many, many alley oop passes to a soaring high flying 6’3” highlight reel named Wil Herndon; the opposing coach would call a time out while 4500 rabid sardines would loosen and launch paint chips from the ceiling of the ancient building with a deafening blood curdling roar, while the classic UMass band would blast their signature song The Rage in the Cage….I loved what Coach Martin promised all of us in attendance… they would always leave everything out on the floor and we would never feel cheated when we walk out of the Mullins Center
Username checks out.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:35 pm

…sharing the stage with the highly regarded women’s team was a nice touch….
Welcome RagingCagerz.

Question..do you know for certain that Martin ‘shared the stage’ or was this planned as an event to showcase both teams?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:51 pm

^ As far as I know, it was always about both teams. Frankly, with the success of the women's team maybe Verdi should have been the head man. Anyhow, they did a good job organizing it, the students really liked it and the drum line, cheerleaders and dance team did a great job.

I didn't have time yesterday to post my thoughts on what I saw from the women. I'll do that in the WBB thread.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:44 pm

Camby4Life wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:04 am Will Jameel Pugh be in the dunk contest?
Think he had a 50” vertical back in the day. Could sky.

Can’t wait for the season to start.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:48 pm

In my Hoops yrs, I had a 3" vertical leap.
Down to 2" now @ 75.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

RagingCager
Freshman

Post by RagingCager » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:32 pm

LS71 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:35 pm …sharing the stage with the highly regarded women’s team was a nice touch….
Welcome RagingCagerz.

Question..do you know for certain that Martin ‘shared the stage’ or was this planned as an event to showcase both teams?

Yes, I agree this was an event to showcase both teams on an equal footing and both seemed excited and comfortable to open the new season with one another….the women’s team accomplishments speak for themselves, and there is a renewed excitement and hope that the men can challenge for a higher level of success in the A10 as well; I’m excited to follow and support both teams this season, and I hope a growing number of UMass Basketball fans will too… I‘m looking forward to the Court Club practice and reception next Thursday…..Go UMass! 🏀

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:38 am

While we are talking about the Minutewomen here, I'd like to try to convert some folks. Pay attention to them if you have not. They are not only an excellent team, they are very entertaining to watch. Sam Breen is a UMass all-timer, and she has a lot of help.

I know - men's hoops with great hopes, a ladies team with a goal of making a mark in The Dance, and a pucks squad that is a wagon (21-3 total score for the last four games). That's a lot to watch, but aren't we lucky. Let's Go!
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:45 pm

How many years has very been coaching the women? Translation: how long did it take him to get to this level?
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:15 pm

Coach Tory Verdi is in his 7th year at UMass. He has completely turned this program around winning the A10 Championship last year an NCAA auto bid that followed a successful trip to the WNIT the year before. This year he has almost everyone back and is stacked with solid backups via transfers and frosh and as has been mentioned, they're fun to watch!