How 'bout another alumni game?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

How 'bout another alumni game?

Post by Floyd » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:39 pm

Love to see another alumni game with some of the players coming back. Be great to see Ricky, CLowe, Maxie, Put, Cady, Chaz, Sean Carter, Sampson etc come back and hoop it up in front of the fans.
Time to Win

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Re: How 'bout another alumni game?

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:34 pm

Another? I can't remember if we've done one of these before, formally anyway.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:51 pm

I remember one from maybe 10 years ago. I was surprised at how poorly organized it was. They didn't even introduce the players if I recall correctly.
I might be wrong on that but I know I was disappointed in the way it was done.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:58 pm

Found this from 2014. My recollection was pretty accurate:
Post by Mills-Hamlin 69 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:36 pm

69MG wrote:

They should have had the players line up before the game and announce their name and what years they played......If this is to be an annual event, and I hope it is, they need to do it right.
Concerning the Alumni game: it's a great idea and worth continuing, but... I think the organizers dropped the ball. They had a great oportunity to get some buzz and start a tradition (not to mention raise some money for a good cause). They hyped the game for weeks and then treated it like a pick up game at Boyden.
Hopefully next year they will do it all with a little more glitz - names on the uniforms, pictures and videos on the score board, team introductions (maybe with the spotlights?). Make it look more like a real game! Make it fun to watch.
They also said they were going to pass the hat for donations, but I never saw anyone come around. I think there was a table in the concourse for a while, but they need to actively promote the cause more.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:53 am

MikeUMA wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:34 pm Another? I can't remember if we've done one of these before, formally anyway.
When DK was first here they did one. As 69 posted, it was a little disorganized but it was good to see some of the ex players come back
Time to Win

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:35 am

69MG wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:51 pm I remember one from maybe 10 years ago. I was surprised at how poorly organized it was. They didn't even introduce the players if I recall correctly.
I might be wrong on that but I know I was disappointed in the way it was done.

This surprised you? Are you sure you are familiar with how Umass runs things (anything really) in the Athletics department.

I believe the phrase "Umass Athletics could fuck up a wet dream" applies here.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:13 am

^
It feels like the department has better marketing and organization now, more than ever, but you never know until you see it.

Would be fun to have an alumni game, but logistically it'd be challenging to execute, so you have to ask if the juice is worth the squeeze.