Kevin Kennedy

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DirSport
Junior

Kevin Kennedy

Post by DirSport » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:08 am

Longer-time followers and listeners will remember Kevin for his two tours of duty on the UMass basketball radio network, from 1990-91 through 1994-95 and again for several seasons beginning in 2004. He passed away yesterday at the age of 70.

Kevin played basketball at Cathedral and at St. Anselm's in New Hampshire (including a few early-'70s games vs. UMass). Professionally, he was a long-serving aide to U.S. Representative Richard Neal, for about a quarter-century, and later the chief economic development officer for the city of Springfield. He found time to coach basketball at his alma mater, Cathedral, for a dozen years from 1985 to 1997, and had one Derek Kellogg as his standout player from 1987 to 1991.

He and I worked together for all four years that I did the radio play-by-play, from 1991-92 through 1994-95. Kevin always brought a wealth of knowledge and wit to the airwaves, and I thoroughly enjoyed our time and broadcasts together.

After Jack Leaman died in 2004, my input was sought regarding a replacement. Although I wouldn't consider myself any kind of deciding factor in the process, I recommended Kevin without hesitation. Later, while I was doing the PA announcing at Mullins and he was in his seat up behind the scorer's table, keeping a watchful eye on DK, we'd always manage to spend a few pregame minutes.

I had not seen or heard a lot from Kevin in recent years, but he did check in on me back in November after my wife's passing, and I was grateful for that. I think I knew he was already ailing at that time and I regret not reaching out to him over these last few months.

The big UMass audio project that I undertook in 2020-21 allowed me to go back and relive so many exciting games and moments that we called together, along with Jack, Howie Davis and John Feudo. Maybe another listen to some of those games is in order for this weekend. I know Kevin considered it a real privilege to be in that broadcast chair.

Here's one with Kevin at center stage. Pretty sure this is December of 1992, UMass vs. South Carolina, the championship game of the Abdow's Hall of Fame Holiday Classic in Springfield.
Last edited by DirSport on Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tdmass
Senior

Re: Kevin Kennedy

Post by tdmass » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:37 am

RIP Kevin!

Jeff90
Junior

Post by Jeff90 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:52 am

RIP

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:41 pm

very sad news. It was a pleasure listening to him on the broadcasts.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:17 pm

Sad news. Rest in Peace Kevin.

I remember listening to the two of you and loved every minute of it.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving