KAEO Robert Davis Jr

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO Robert Davis Jr

Post by Old Cage » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:20 pm

^ I've wondered the past two years how much of a negative Mama Davis and Papa Gapare and Papa Dominguez have been to our fortunes. Anyone have any thoughts? I shook my head the first time that I saw that the Davis lady had written a book about raising a pro. Am I off base?
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:02 pm

The meddling, self-promoting parent shit is the absolute worst. Tre’s mother was this to an extreme. For her part, Robert’s mom appeared to be all about Frank, UMass and the A10… until she wasn’t. Then, Davis was gone and the portal was all about rights and a fight against exploitation based on HER experience as a ball player. Gapare’s dad was much more deft at the diplomatic game, soft spoken, and chill, but clearly bizarre parent-agent dynamics are yet another sign of late stage NCAA final decline.
Last edited by JoleonLescottsHair on Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:17 pm

TheOFFSeason wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:08 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:39 pm
natwam2547 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:51 pm If it is a shot at Frank, that's gotta be one of the fastest 180's I've ever seen. And not just because he transferred, that's the norm. But being a "Frank guy" and being in Frank's corner vocally to this is something....
Considering his mother and Frank’s wife were together often and Davis didn’t really say anything bad about Frank this could simply be that the player is turning down Kentucky to go to Arkansas. There are both SEC schools but Kentucky is Kentucky.
Davis’ mother took a shot at Frank on Twitter a week or so ago…that friendship/relationship is no longer
Pretty sure that was a shot against Pitino. (Unless there was something else.).

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:34 pm

TheOFFSeason wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:08 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:39 pm
natwam2547 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:51 pm If it is a shot at Frank, that's gotta be one of the fastest 180's I've ever seen. And not just because he transferred, that's the norm. But being a "Frank guy" and being in Frank's corner vocally to this is something....
Considering his mother and Frank’s wife were together often and Davis didn’t really say anything bad about Frank this could simply be that the player is turning down Kentucky to go to Arkansas. There are both SEC schools but Kentucky is Kentucky.
Davis’ mother took a shot at Frank on Twitter a week or so ago…that friendship/relationship is no longer
The only thing I can find that might fit the bill here is a tweet from 4/11, where she talks about coaches not talking to players and dismissing player development... is that the one? Unless she deleted it?

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:41 pm

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:54 pm

Could be. And, I totally get that as a parent. I probably wouldn’t want my dude playing for Frank! But Davis himself would always responded to criticism of Frank yelling at him or others with “I wouldn’t have it any other way…” I know people grow tired, change their mind, relationships change. Friends become enemies. I get that. But it just eventually exposes the whole “100% committed, program building, my coach, brotherhood stuff etc. etc.” of the portal era for its utter phoniness.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:00 pm

All this stuff reminds me of the old WBCN skit "Such a Bitter Man"
Time to Win

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:04 pm

Ya, it's part of the job of the assistants to find the right players. Think DK and Ricky were involved w him. Believe Frank will honor commitments (scholarship), but he'll be honest w guys. He also has duties to other players and the program.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:13 am

Mom also posted something that people who aren’t liked are the most trustworthy and straight talkers. She also posted chancellor Reyes’s installation. I think is it very possible that she and her son are posting/tweeting about many other things than Frank.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:14 pm

^ At this point I no longer care what Robert or his mom post. He's gone, and just a fading memory. I was pulling for him and hoped he would do well here, but he didn't really produce.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:54 pm

69MG wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:14 pm ^ At this point I no longer care what Robert or his mom post. He's gone, and just a fading memory. I was pulling for him and hoped he would do well here, but he didn't really produce.
Completely agree. I hoped he would make it. He never got the defensive side down for sure. Streaky like all freshmen except those that figured it out for us- Jayden and Jaylen.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:24 pm

Don’t really care about Davis but want a lot more Jayden’s than Davis always wary of the loud player usually it’s all talk

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:34 am

There's no reason not to wish him well.

He played a limited number of minutes as a freshman and showed himself to be a bit streaky. So it goes....
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:43 pm

to loosely quote the bleacher bums in major league

"who gives a bleep (he's) gone"
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:36 am

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:54 pm
Could be. And, I totally get that as a parent. I probably wouldn’t want my dude playing for Frank! But Davis himself would always responded to criticism of Frank yelling at him or others with “I wouldn’t have it any other way…” I know people grow tired, change their mind, relationships change. Friends become enemies. I get that. But it just eventually exposes the whole “100% committed, program building, my coach, brotherhood stuff etc. etc.” of the portal era for its utter phoniness.
Bingo...which is why I made the 180 comment. Either it was all talk from the jump, or the relationship fractured so quickly for whatever reason. And to comment and compare it to NBA coaches is laughable. The most apples to oranges comparison I've ever seen. Imagine Spoelstra or Kerr yelling at their players (for straight comparison's sake since she mentioned the play in games)? The players run the NBA. And you could say college is trending that way, but if they do give their coach the middle finger, there's 1700 guys in the portal waiting to take their spot so it's still not the same.