KAEO Tafara Gapare

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

Re: KAEO Tafara Gapare

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:51 pm

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:52 pm

Floyd wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:10 pm For us inept tech people, where might that be, OC?
https://twitter.com/MLBergman_/status/1 ... 7281692678

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:21 pm

Thanks Mike & OC
Time to Win

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:19 pm

Go to @GymRatChallenge on Twitter and see the new post on Tafara. It will bring a smile.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:41 pm

Kiwi Hoopers Feature on Tafara Gapare signing with The Mass Collective:

https://kiwihoopers.com/tafara-gapare-m ... -nil-deal/

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:18 pm

I'll say it. I'm starting to get a little worried about Tafara. Frank benched him last game because he wasn't playing hard. His minutes have been limited in a lot of games because he wasn't productive. We get a couple of highlight reel plays a game but he looks lost far too often. Was DePaul correct in asking him to do a prep year or redshirt?

The game is more physical than he is used to and his athletic ability (which is off the charts) doesn't work as well here as it did in New Zealand. I still feel that he'll become a good, if not great, player but it will take another year. I'm just worried that he will get discouraged and look for a change. I have no doubt that there will be plenty of suitors.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:38 pm

With the way things are, there’s a decent chance any player could decide to transfer out, especially if they’re a first time transfer (we’ll see how the new rules around multiple time transfer guys plays out). It’s a double edged sword. If Gapare was killing it, some P5 could step in with $200k and he’s gone that way.

I’ve started looking at these teams as individual seasons and not thinking about future year rosters, because there’s no way of knowing who will be here next year.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:44 pm

69MG wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:18 pm I'll say it. I'm starting to get a little worried about Tafara. Frank benched him last game because he wasn't playing hard. His minutes have been limited in a lot of games because he wasn't productive. We get a couple of highlight reel plays a game but he looks lost far too often. Was DePaul correct in asking him to do a prep year or redshirt?

The game is more physical than he is used to and his athletic ability (which is off the charts) doesn't work as well here as it did in New Zealand. I still feel that he'll become a good, if not great, player but it will take another year. I'm just worried that he will get discouraged and look for a change. I have no doubt that there will be plenty of suitors.
I don’t think Frank benches players based on productivity. It seems to all be on effort, hard work and defensive intensity. Matt Cross has been getting 30 minutes and shooting about 35% and turning the ball over a bit. Errors made while hustling don’t seem to bother him, too much, unless it is out of control defense leading to fouls or easy baskets.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:39 pm

Let’s not forget he only played one season of prep. Also had the visa issues getting over for the season so he really jumped right in and never had a pre-season. The athletic ability and potential are there but he hasn’t produced enough yet. It’s been a while since we’ve seen a Ricky Harris type of jump. Hopefully this year is a learning experience and he comes back a star next year. We have no idea what’s going on at practice and in the locker room.

I also don’t follow Twitter or what players or family members put out there. I’m sure that is only adding to the worried.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:41 pm

Good point, ty for sharing.

I think this is Frank's way of doing what Cal did when he told Mahkis Camby "that's okay Marcus if you want to be good, Do You Want to Be GREAT?"

We will see how hard he bears down. Right now, Gianni is showing some life. He isn't cutting into Brandon's minutes because Brandon plays D. I think Gianni gave us minutes because Gapare needs to prove to FM, and the staff, that he is looking for what he said he was, ie to develop. He's got to step it up on D. He is what Deyondre was last year, in need of remedial measures. He is obviously doing it in the weight room He wants it. He has to play on both ends and work on his weaknesses as well as his strengths to play A10. He hasn't earned it in conference and coach is giving Gianni a chance to do so.

Competition is good. Let's see how he reacts over the next few weeks. Right now he isn't playing UMASS BASKETBALL Got to earn it. Just like Camby did when Lou was starting at Center. Right?

We don't expect miracles this year. DePaul was probably right, he would have benefitted from a year in prep. Marcus was a genuine freshman. This kid will never be Mahkis. But this kid has a high ceiling and good for Frank for pushing him. Lot of four star failures in the world. Gapare needs to show by tournament time that he deserves minutes. He can't be a liability.

I'm sure next year will be harder on him. He gets a pass if he is mediocre this year. However, if he is not going to commit to his development, it appears Gianni is working his way into the rotation.

I'm pulling for both!
Refuse To Lose!!!

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:39 am

Exclusive @TheMassCo Member Only Content coming tomorrow: 20 minute Interview with Tafara Gapare (filmed in 🇳🇿), preview below…

Get access to this interview & more + directly support #UMass 🏀 Athletes by joining 👉 www.TheMassCollective.com/join

https://youtu.be/zBGuFYkqYeA

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:35 am

Bringing this over from the Gapare talk in the Fordham game thread...

Gapare is really going to benefit from a full offseason and preseason... the delay in getting here really set him back and while we've seen flashes, there's nothing gelling yet for him. It was a major transition in the first place, nevermind having to deal with all the visa crap to even get here. Eldon hits the nail on the head regarding starting with both the weight training and footwork, and I think the individual workouts with the staff and further learning FM's system during the offseason is going to set him up for a nice jump next year.

I'm not suggesting we'll see a STAR next season, but if everything goes smoothly, we should see a much more cohesive basketball player and a clearer picture of what his ceiling really could be.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:56 am

So with our injuries, we're dangerously close to the rest of this season being a wash. We're currently the 14th seed for the A-15 tourney. Maybe we should just let Noah/RJ/Diggins recover and not bring them back in a longshot attempt to make noise this season. That's a whole separate debate.

IF those guys do stay inactive, it's an opportunity for Frank to really start looking at next year's possibilities, and that means giving Gapare more PT now to see what he can offer. Yeah, he's not a guard that can fill in for any of those 3, but Brandon will be gone, Wildens might be gone, maybe give some of their PT to Gapare. Three potential benefits from that: you can evaluate what he can really offer in game situations, he can gain skill and confidence, and you can possibly lower the chance of him entering the portal.

Why not? Seriously, what do we have to lose at this point?

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:58 am

If he gives Gapare more playing time he needs to put him in a position where he can maximize his skills. Gapare can't be guarding smaller, faster guys on the perimiter. I don't have an answer on offense except maybe run some plays for him. The radio/TV guys have often said that "he makes these shots in practice". Set some screens and let him take reasonable jumpers instead of trying to create his own shot. I don't think he's strong enough to post up.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:13 pm

I think he will be much better next year as a 6th man maybe.