KAEO Tafara Gapare

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO Tafara Gapare

Post by NilesGold » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:47 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:22 am
Calmass9 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:50 am
NilesGold wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:37 am

He doesn't have the lateral quickness to defend guards on the perimeter, or the speed & control to attack them off the dribble on offense. Against forwards in college is where Gapare needs to be used, where he can use his outside shot to draw them out to the perimeter and then drive past them if/when they come out to contest.
Yep. Spot on. Not sure what JSF is watching but the NBA is getting smaller, not bigger. Gapare’s path to the NBA is to be a 6’9 stretch 4 or even a small ball 5. Frank playing him at the 3 is just another example of how he hasn’t adapted his style to what modern basketball looks like.
I’m looking at his body type. In the NBA, there are very few teams playing with any positions except for maybe a 5. It’s not that they are getting smaller it is that they are expecting big guys to play on the perimeter and be able to switch to guard anyone.
https://runrepeat.com/height-evolution-in-the-nba

"The average NBA height is 6’6.3’’ (2021), which is the lowest over the past 41 years."
"NBA point guards are 6’2.4’’ tall, tallest they’ve ever been. All other positions (shooting guards, small forwards, power forwards, and centers) are the shortest since the early 80s."

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:16 pm

NilesGold wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:47 am
Calmass9 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:50 am

Yep. Spot on. Not sure what JSF is watching but the NBA is getting smaller, not bigger. Gapare’s path to the NBA is to be a 6’9 stretch 4 or even a small ball 5. Frank playing him at the 3 is just another example of how he hasn’t adapted his style to what modern basketball looks like.
I’m looking at his body type. In the NBA, there are very few teams playing with any positions except for maybe a 5. It’s not that they are getting smaller it is that they are expecting big guys to play on the perimeter and be able to switch to guard anyone.

"The average NBA height is 6’6.3’’ (2021), which is the lowest over the past 41 years."
"NBA point guards are 6’2.4’’ tall, tallest they’ve ever been. All other positions (shooting guards, small forwards, power forwards, and centers) are the shortest since the early 80s."
So do you see Tafara as a Greek Freak or Lebron style player? There are two forward positions that are essentially the same height-some small forwards are maybe 6’5”. Forwards go up to about 6’11”. It’s not the height, it’s the body type and skills. Without “real” positions, there is a lot of overlap. For example Kevin Durant is listed as both a PF and SF. My point is still the same. He needs to learn to play on the perimeter. That is where he will be if he gets to the NBA. Jason Tatum is 6’6” and that is the type of player Tafara is right now. Unless his body changes to more of a wide body he is not going to be a down low player in the NBA. He will be used for his height advantage due to his skills to play the three.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:40 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:16 pm

Unless his body changes to more of a wide body he is not going to be a down low player in the NBA. He will be used for his height advantage due to his skills to play the three.
Who suggested he would be a low-post player in college or the NBA? He needs to get stronger to reach his full potential, for the time being he absolutely cannot be expected to defend guards on the perimeter or to take guards or even most wings off the dribble on the perimeter.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:20 pm

NilesGold wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:40 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:16 pm

Unless his body changes to more of a wide body he is not going to be a down low player in the NBA. He will be used for his height advantage due to his skills to play the three.
Who suggested he would be a low-post player in college or the NBA? He needs to get stronger to reach his full potential, for the time being he absolutely cannot be expected to defend guards on the perimeter or to take guards or even most wings off the dribble on the perimeter.
?? Pretty sure that is what you suggested/implied. Perimeter players are guards and forwards. Switching on defense is going to happen. Frank nor the UMass coaches decide who guards him on the perimeter. So, if they smaller on him to stop him from driving, shouldn’t he work on that or figure out how to contribute to the team offense? If he’s not in the post (either high or low) he will be on the perimeter/wing, no? What do you want the coach to do if he can’t play on perimeter and also isn’t a down low player? Plant him at the foul line and develop entire defensive and offensive schemes around that?

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:43 pm

^ Not what I suggested or implied. Frank needs to put him into positions to succeed, and he’s not doing that.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:32 pm

He's getting minutes guarding 2s lately. Not because Frank wants to, he has no guards.
Refuse To Lose!!!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:00 pm

NilesGold wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:43 pm ^ Not what I suggested or implied. Frank needs to put him into positions to succeed, and he’s not doing that.
What position would that be? You said playing him on the wing was not where he should be. You also said he shouldn’t be down low? Where should he be?

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:27 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:00 pm
NilesGold wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:43 pm ^ Not what I suggested or implied. Frank needs to put him into positions to succeed, and he’s not doing that.
What position would that be? You said playing him on the wing was not where he should be. You also said he shouldn’t be down low? Where should he be?
Limited role on offense, rim runner, spot up 3's, maybe high post or look for backdoor lobs. Don't ask him to dribble penetrate against guards & wings. On defense just don't ask him to defend guards, quick wings, or bruising post players.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:17 pm

NilesGold wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:27 pm
Limited role on offense, rim runner, spot up 3's, maybe high post or look for backdoor lobs. Don't ask him to dribble penetrate against guards & wings. On defense just don't ask him to defend guards, quick wings, or bruising post players.
He already has a a limited role on offense. Spot up 3’s? He’s shooting less than 30% from the 3. Shooting is not one of his pros at the moment. We all know he’s a work in progress - I’m excited to see how he develops. Best case he becomes a point forward for the team down the road and the game will slow down for him.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:14 pm

NilesGold wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:27 pm
There is no way to accomplish what you are saying in a team game. All the things you mention on offense are out the coach’s control. The other coach decides who and how to cover him. If you limit him that much you are essentially playing 4 on 5. Most of the time he is guarding wings or guards is as the top of the 1-3-1. That is where you want a long lanky defender. You are essentially saying play him only in spots he has an obvious advantage. There is no way to choreograph that, nor would that ever help him overcome his deficiencies. He should be challenged to improve. He’s supposedly an NBA level guy.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:57 am

Was watching Pitt-Miss St last night. Was surprised to discover that Gapare's overall numbers were very comparable to the Diaz-Graham twins. You know those guys will be major contributors for Pitt in the near future, I am hopeful that Gapare will make a similar leap.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:11 am

^

You likely just gave multiple people reading this board a heart attack. :lol:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:35 am

Plano Minuteman wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:57 am Was watching Pitt-Miss St last night. Was surprised to discover that Gapare's overall numbers were very comparable to the Diaz-Graham twins. You know those guys will be major contributors for Pitt in the near future, I am hopeful that Gapare will make a similar leap.
You're right on. They combined for 20 minutes, 6 points, 5 boards and 1 block per game. Just about double Tafare's numbers.

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:15 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:11 am ^

You likely just gave multiple people reading this board a heart attack. :lol:
as they say at the town council meetings when counting votes, "myself included."
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:55 pm

Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades